XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Attempting to fix the tilt/slide sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Attempting to fix the tilt/slide sunroof

Okay, the tilt/slide of my sunroof has been broken for quite some time now, and I think now is as good of a time as any to fix it. One of the little plastic bits broke on the passenger's side tilt mechanism, and I've already bought a brand new replacement part (and kept it in my closet for over a year). My worries are how to go about getting the old part out, and the new one in.

I know I need to remove the headliner (and maybe recover it with suede?). Has anyone done this (either headliner or the tilt/slide)? How hard is it? I have already read the how to, from a previous query: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...j6-x300-52051/

I think this will get done next Monday or so.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Steven:
It is an a number one, first class PITA. Getting the headliner out is scary. Just fold it at the rear of the sunroof opening, but try not to crease it too bad. Be careful to not break the drain fitings on the sunroof cartridge- they apparently get brittle with age, When you get ready to re-install and time the motor, don't even try it without the step by step from JTIS. Take it slow, interrupt the work frequently to keep from getting in annoyed is my advise. But, then again, I take too long to do anything. Oh, and a little wine helps.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default brittle plastic piece on sunroof

Hi Steven! I too have that plastic piece that pulls the sunroof back in a broken condition but on the driver's side. So far my tilt is still operable but it dosen't work as well as it used to and I have not used it since testing it as it gave me a problem with closing and sealing out the elements successfully.

Ross, I really appreciate your post and some how I was just afraid it would be a "ROYAL" PITA. I like the (if I am correctly interprting your statement) idea of stopping the removal of the headliner only as far as I need to gain access. My headliner is in great condition other than needing cleaned and re-adheared at the very back where it tucks under at the rear glass. Any ideas as too whether or not I should have it cleaned or just get a new one?

Thanks, Poor Boy

Last edited by poor boy; 05-03-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Poor proof reading on my part
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey guys, i also got issues, iv had my xjr over a month now, and it came with sunroof unplugged so i plugged it in so see what was up, i can tilt mine up but it will not go back, i pulled out these little black arm, things that seem to have broken on the inside. amusing those are the plastic pull arms.
and steven where did u buy those pieces and how much?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I got my part from Coventry West, or JagBits. I can't remember. Both are good places to get parts for our cars from. It was about $220 for the one side, but it is a new part, so it should last longer than I'll have the car.

Yeah, Poor Boy, my sunroof still worked (past tense), but I would get horrible wind noise on the interstate because the sunroof panel wasn't laying flat with the roof of the car. So, I messed with it a bit, may have broken it some more, but it's been laying flat and inoperable for over a year now. I'm getting quite excited to have it fixed! I really hope I go through with it on Monday.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You do not have to remove the headliner (only drop it down on the seats for access to the sunroof frame)
You can work from the the open doors to get to the tilt/slide mechanisms. You don't even have to remove the front frame fasteners to lower the rear for changing the broken parts.

bob gauff

Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Poor boy:
Well, I was referring to taking the headliner all the way out, which you need to do to replace the fabric, unless you are a contortionist, but Bob pointed out that there is no need for that to just work on the sunroof. Gatting material in a near perfect shade for the headliner replacement is fairly easy, $30.00 worth of material, available at auto fabric suppliers. You have to strip all of the old foam off with a brush, then use high temp upholstery adhesive and put the new one on. Guage so you are using about 1 can of adhesive per headliner. There are some good online step by steps.