XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Body control processor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body control processor

In my previous thread I thought I had a problem with my battery. The battery is good. I read a post of someone having the exact same problem as me. No crank no lights, wipers, indicators or central locking. He narrowed it down to the body control processor. Just found mine so have posted a pic of its location as it took me a while to track it down. Behind the glove box passenger side. Mine is a right hand drive.Body control processor-p8080132.jpg

Body control processor-p8080133.jpg

Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 AM

I wonder how many miles of wiring are in Jaguar??

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Anyone who looks at this. Do you think this is the problem or could it be something else?

Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Default Body processor unit

Received the unit through the post today. Thanks ebay £25. Fitted it and the car fired right up. Wipers, lights working too!! Just keep driving now and wait for the next issue. Keeping this car clean and on the road could be a full time job. Nobody will pay me to do it though!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by rob20087
Keeping this car clean and on the road could be a full time job. Nobody will pay me to do it though!
But the car itself will repay you in driving enjoyment!!

It seems most systems are routed through the BPM. Great that your replacement worked!

I would guess about 30 miles of wiring in a Jaguar.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car won't start doors won't lock and my headlights aren't working either... are these symptoms of this box?

Also is this box model specific? Can I pur an xj6 box in my xjr?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Another question. I pulled my module control box and opened it up. There were no burned circuits or anything that would say it was fried. But there was a light white film of some kind of residue on the bottom half of the circuit panel.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Hi, yes it sounds like it is the module at fault. I had the same symptoms. No crank, no lights, wipers, central locking or interior lights. Best to look on ebay for the module as jaguar dealer will be expensive. I opened my old one up, there is nothing visible to say it's broken. Best to take your old one out and get the numbers of it as I'm not sure if they're interchangeable.

Last edited by rob20087; 08-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Ok thanks rob I appreciate the help. I have two donor xj6's to get the box from but ill do more research on it.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

I have an issue with pretty much everything working but no crank no fuel pump = no start situation.

I just got the car BTW

How common is it that the Body Control Processor is the culprit in these situations?

There probably is no way for a DIY'er to test it and $200.00 is a lot for a "let's try this". Wish I had access to one just to try it.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Howdy Bernie.

The Body Control Processor, or Body Processor Module as it's also known, is responsible for giving a "check engine" light with the ignition on, before cranking. Turn the ignition on and wait, after five seconds is the check engine light still on? Should be. If not, no cranking, and more likely a BPM problem.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Howdy Bernie.

The Body Control Processor, or Body Processor Module as it's also known, is responsible for giving a "check engine" light with the ignition on, before cranking. Turn the ignition on and wait, after five seconds is the check engine light still on? Should be. If not, no cranking, and more likely a BPM problem.
Hey Bernie.. I have a 2001 XK8.. My issues may be this but not sure.. OK with the above is it referring to the words " Check Engine" that pops up for a few seconds or the Check Engine picture itself? Not real clear about that.. What I am hearing in the humming sound from the glove box section.. It sounds almost like a heater running or maybe a radio.. I am pretty sure that would be the BPM I am hearing.. My lights, wipers everything works on my car.. Just will not start and I can not program my keyless entry at all.. It beeps just once and that's it and everything I mash just low beep but never finishes programming.. And then when I am done if I mash it , it just makes a really loud beep.. And that's it for anything and everything.. Now this has been an ongoing thing before the car quit cranking but has gotten to where it never unlocks the doors or trunk at all now. Wondering if this is connected somehow as well..

What I would like toknow is when you put the key in the ignition does YOUR Check Engine read across the front stay on more than 5 seconds.. Mine does not.. And does yours every quit making that humming sound as well in the process.. I wish my lights and wipers didn't work so I would feel better about this purchase itself.. Just looking someone that can tell me what their working nearly year Jag does at this state.. Thanks..

Old 03-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

On the XK8 the BPM is on the hot at all times section of the battery bus

This makes a " hard reset " of the BPM possible

By not starting , do you have starter rotation of the engine ?

Are the fuse link terminal nuts tight just fwd of the positive battery post ?

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM

OK, as far as a hard reset.. If you are asking have I disconnected the battery for long periods of times and rtried that.. Yes.. Until yesterday the battery was out of the bar in the shop charging for the past week.. This was since the issue.. I know Jaguar bateries can be an issue so I am keep it charged and up.. So I am assuming that would produce the hard reset that you are referring too.. As far as the positive post nuts from the battery that runs under the carpet to the 4 nuts all positive.. Yes.. they are all tighten at this location.. And no, it does not turn over at all.. Acts like a car would when the starter is not working. All electronics work, just no cranking.. And like I listed above as well.. The keyless entry will not program at this time.. Goes into the mode it should just beeps and that's it.. Will not allow programming to complete process.. And that's it.. So mashing it only makes the car make a lout beep and that is all for all controls on the remote itself.. trunk, lights, or doors locked or not.. Don't know if that has anything to do with this at all.. Just an observation at this time.. I went into the gear box and mashed tthat to make sure that wasn't the issue and tried cranking it in neutral and park.. Neither did anything. I jacked the car up and tapped on the starter but that didn't do anything as well.. I didn't think it was that in the first place..

Car did not crank one day.. Next day it did once.. I drove it and got stranded.. We tried repeatedly anything to get the car to crank to bring it home.. It would not.. So had to have it towed here and that is how it is sat for going on two weeks now.. Again, battery taken out after the issue and put on the charger and just put back in yesterday to try and solve the mystery.. Thanks..

Old 03-17-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
On the XK8 the BPM is on the hot at all times section of the battery bus

This makes a " hard reset " of the BPM possible

By not starting , do you have starter rotation of the engine ?

Are the fuse link terminal nuts tight just fwd of the positive battery post ?
OK, as far as a hard reset.. If you are asking have I disconnected the battery for long periods of times and rtried that.. Yes.. Until yesterday the battery was out of the bar in the shop charging for the past week.. This was since the issue.. I know Jaguar bateries can be an issue so I am keep it charged and up.. So I am assuming that would produce the hard reset that you are referring too.. As far as the positive post nuts from the battery that runs under the carpet to the 4 nuts all positive.. Yes.. they are all tighten at this location.. And no, it does not turn over at all.. Acts like a car would when the starter is not working. All electronics work, just no cranking.. And like I listed above as well.. The keyless entry will not program at this time.. Goes into the mode it should just beeps and that's it.. Will not allow programming to complete process.. And that's it.. So mashing it only makes the car make a lout beep and that is all for all controls on the remote itself.. trunk, lights, or doors locked or not.. Don't know if that has anything to do with this at all.. Just an observation at this time.. I went into the gear box and mashed tthat to make sure that wasn't the issue and tried cranking it in neutral and park.. Neither did anything. I jacked the car up and tapped on the starter but that didn't do anything as well.. I didn't think it was that in the first place..

Car did not crank one day.. Next day it did once.. I drove it and got stranded.. We tried repeatedly anything to get the car to crank to bring it home.. It would not.. So had to have it towed here and that is how it is sat for going on two weeks now.. Again, battery taken out after the issue and put on the charger and just put back in yesterday to try and solve the mystery.. Thanks..

Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

The Hard reset involves taking both battery terminal cables off and touching both terminal cables together , the longer the better without touching the battery post

This resets the BPM and SLCU to zero state

Place your finger on the specific starter relay and feel for it to click closed by a ground provided by the BPM , this indicates whether immobilized

The starter relay can be swapped with the X relay with the same part number stamped on the relay for testing

see page 23

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2001.pdf

There is some history with the park switch in the shifter package

someone in the XK8 or maybe the XJ8 area would know more about this shifter package

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Not to say that it couldn't be the Body Control Processor Module.. But it isn't showing any signs of it lacking any electronics from working.. I am pointing more towards the transponder ring and the immobolizer module as possibly being the issue..

Old 03-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

The transponder ring for the RF chip in the key is something I'm not up to speed on your model

This would be better asked in the XK8 area as the X300 only uses this in Europe from my understanding

Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM

OK fellas.. I have a question.. ( 2001 XK8 ) What all does the transponder ring actually control on our cars? Still trying to figure out what is keeping my car from cranking.. We jacked the car up and went straight to the starter and got it to turn over with the key in and on and it turned over but no fuel pump it seemed to allow it to crank.. So asking what all does the Transponder ring control? And being that the wipers, lights and all electronics work.. Still assuming it is not the Body Control Processor Module.. Also about a month ago I had an issue with the car that the fuel was not going to the car to crank it.. The fix was to wait and then try it later on and would crank fine.. But did see by turning the key off and on about 4 times quick that the car would then crank if I didn't over try it when it first took place.. Does that sound like the Transponder ring as well? Just trying to figure out where to go with this to get my Jag running.. Thanks..

Old 04-16-2024, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCP did you have to remove the glove box or is there an easier way?

Originally Posted by rob20087
In my previous thread I thought I had a problem with my battery. The battery is good. I read a post of someone having the exact same problem as me. No crank no lights, wipers, indicators or central locking. He narrowed it down to the body control processor. Just found mine so have posted a pic of its location as it took me a while to track it down. Behind the glove box passenger side. Mine is a right hand drive.Attachment 50362

Attachment 50363
is there an easier way to access the BCP or did you have to remove the glove box ?