XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Body Processing Module / 1996 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I think we need to verify that we are on the right Pin.

If the colour is different at the BPM then check the colour of the cable at the wiper relay socket under Pin 1 - it should be the same as at the BPM.

If possible, do a continuity check between FC1-27 and the Relay Pin 1 (multimeter set to Resistance or Continuity depending on what you have). Touch leads together to verify they are working. Should get beep or low resistance (ohms) measurement. Then with one test lead to FC1-27, the other to Relay Pin 1 result should be same as touching together.

The following 2 users liked this post by b1mcp:
BobGalvin (10-16-2018), Lady Penelope (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Sometimes at the factory they run out of a certain color of wire and substitute a different color . No use holding up production . On airlines it is %100 compliant or an engineering approval that you sign against but then we use a 8 number stamp machine on white wire . No 2 wires have the same number .

In this wiper relay example ......

FC1 - 24 is Red solid / Light Green stripe as a corner reference wire only

By rocking the relay and feeling it click verifies the commanding controlling ground is provided by the BPM . If not the relay can be swapped with the wiper fast / slow relay .

Verify the fuse is good at point 71 as LH engine fuse box fuse # 6 / 20 amp and RH fuse box # 16 / 10 amp as point 29

Note you must have both relays installed for the wiper to run

The # 1 fuse will always be the one closet to the terminal post on the fuse box .

Nap time after meds , one pill bottle has a wobbly car sticker on it .
Ok. Checking all things recommended. Results are as follows: As to the reference wire "FC1-24" this unit shows red with white stripe!
As to the wiper relays, have not been able to extract it again. Followed the same procedure as before but cannot dislodge it. This is
a mystery to me. Had help from another person but the same result. They are unable to dislodge it! Frustration is building at this point.
Will continue to try and solve the mystery of this engineering marvel.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Default Thank you / Results

Originally Posted by b1mcp
I think we need to verify that we are on the right Pin.

If the colour is different at the BPM then check the colour of the cable at the wiper relay socket under Pin 1 - it should be the same as at the BPM.

If possible, do a continuity check between FC1-27 and the Relay Pin 1 (multimeter set to Resistance or Continuity depending on what you have). Touch leads together to verify they are working. Should get beep or low resistance (ohms) measurement. Then with one test lead to FC1-27, the other to Relay Pin 1 result should be same as touching together.
Hello again;
Well, another fun day playing with wires. The FC1-27 is definitely green. As I mentioned in another quote to Lad P., I am unable to separate the Wiper On/Off relay from its socket!
So, I have looked at the wiring from the underside and the colors seem to be as follows: Pin #1 White / Red stripe as opposed to Green at the FC1-27 at the BPM.
Being thoroughly confused at this point, I checked all the incoming wires on the relay. Pin #1 - white/red green stripe, Pin #2 - Green, Pin #3 - Yellow, Pin #4 - Blue and Pin #5 - Red.
It's possible that I confused pin 1 and pin 2 since I was struggling to fit my hands in this tight space, invert the connected relay and judge the placement of the wires. However, the diagram
is printed on the front of the relay. But it is possible.
My thoughts at this point are; Regardless of its wiring configuration, this BPM has operated in my vehicle for 21 years without a problem. It had this problem in its 22nd year. At this point, I lost
all the functions that the BCM controls. No others that I am aware of. Thanks to a local mechanic, who worked for and retired from the Jaguar dealership in Memphis, Tn, I have been able to
drive the vehicle. He spliced the wires for the ignition. I am without all the other functions controlled by the BPM. But no others that I am aware of. My Jaguar drives beautifully. The irony is that I
cannot drive it at night, or in the rain, or signal others that I am about to turn. The mechanic is at a loss as to the problem.
Tried to replace it with a used BPM. Didn't work, which is the gamble you make with that approach. Can keep trying but what are the odds. If I have this original BPM rebuilt (whatever that means)
then perhaps the chances of it working may be better. I don't know. In the meantime, I will start the original set of tests as recommended by each of you wonderful people since I now know the proper sequence
of the steps, regardless of the color combinations. They are now as they always were. Will let you know my progress.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Hi Bob

Just trying to get to a baseline where we know we are actually testing the right thing at the right points.

Your post above saying that FC1-24 is Red/White rather than Red/Green, and that FC1-27 is green rather than Yellow/Purple might indicate you are looking at it upside down?

Check some other Pin colours from the diagrams posted above on the connectors to make sure you have the right orientation.

The following users liked this post:
BobGalvin (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Hi Brendan;
Will be my first order of business in the morning.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Hi Brendan;
Just a quick note. I haven't been able to get back on this as yet but what you said makes perfect sense.
That has to be what I am doing. Will redo the tests with that in mind.
Thanks so much for your help and your patience with me.
Bob