XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

carputer project

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default carputer project

just want to share with you guys the plan of having an incar entertainment system, i am installing a computer with 2 16" led screens behind the front seats and not sure yet what touchscreen ill install in the front or where.(ideas apreciated). anyways here it is... ive started with mounting the rear monitors and did the hack to the cd changer to have an aux input. I did 2 aux inputs while keeping the cd changer aswell. and mounted the switches for selecting inputs inside the center console. the pc will be plugged to one of those aux inputs and the other is for my phone. ive already installed one screen with its controls and now am working on the other screen. they are led screens and work altho where for 110v the dc converter was for 12v so they work perfect on a car without modifications.

installing the monitor controls on the seat

this is whats going on behind the scenes installed 2 leds to each side to have them illuminate the same as the dash and center console.

Attached Thumbnails carputer project-42sh.jpg   carputer project-ncvp.jpg   carputer project-ebnt.jpg   carputer project-4s7o.jpg   carputer project-vl8d.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM

switches and buttons...
front switches are the aux audio selectors and the red push on/off is one for main power of monitors and other for PC on/off.

im open to suggestions about parts needed. im not really sure how to power the computer itself. id like a computer capable of gaming but i dont know if that can be powered on a car. otherwise it will have to be a small micro atx with integrated graphics. id like to read ideas on how to power the computer or how to connect stuff, what software to use after finishing. on the install side id like some tips on vinyl wraping because i need to wrap that rear seat cover in leather look-a-like vinyl that incorporates the monitors. ive tryd it before but it always ends up unsticking itself. not sure what glue to use where i cannot staple. ill be posting more pics as i progress.

night shot one side still missing the vinyl cover.

Attached Thumbnails carputer project-wf3x.jpg   carputer project-onpb.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 06-29-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Cool project Avioni, though I am not so sure I like the row of leds.

I do like your idea of putting a computer into it. What kind were you thinking about?

What are you trying to do with the pc you are connecting? Only play music/dvd or does it need to surf the net also?

-cheers

Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks maraud I spent a while last night googling about powersupply for the pc. Max I could find on ebay was 225watt 12amp dc to dc PSU. So that being the limit i cant have a nice gpu on it. I have a spare core2quad and a spare amd 6 core, so one of those systems will go in. I read about "centrafuse" as being one of the best most complete front ends for car pc's. Has navigation, audio, video ect... I'll get a usb GPS antenna, wifi antenna and reverse cam
To start with. I was also trying to find any usb controller pcb that works with ground signals. The idea I have about it is to be able to connect the door ajar grounds, trunk, fuel sender so that the car pc can do whatever I tell it to do when it receives one of those signals.

Ive also read about an obd2 device that plugs into the pc and reads live data but dont know anything about it. really takes lot of time to read and understand all the options that are out there.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked into doing this and came to the conclusion an iPad would be a better solution than a pc. Powering it was only one issue, with the iPad you have a built in touchscreen media centre and satnav, you just need to mount and power it, and with Bluetooth you can run a normal head unit and just add the iPad as desired. I am pretty sure you can get an app to connect to an obd as well

Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Im sure theres thing the pc can do that ipad/android cant... im using android at the moment for all the features u mentioned.

Attached Thumbnails carputer project-o0z3.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 06-30-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM

little update finally had the time to finish the first seat, I couldnt exactly match the leather color but i think its ok. im having a problem with vga split signal, i tryd making a vga splitter but all it does is flash the second screen intermittently. here is some pics. the vinyl is saggy on purpose because the screens swivel so that they can be adjusted acording to the seats positions, they can rest flat against the back of the seat or at the other most position is how it looks on the first picture.

Attached Thumbnails carputer project-0vbx.jpg   carputer project-28h5.jpg   carputer project-yaxi.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM

haha great! really nice screen size xD

About the flickering, I know you have some options for using two screens on one vga port.

A: use a splitter cable (like you did now? I think the flickering you get is because of the videocard cant handle the extra screen supporting with just one clock cycle. The GPU has only 1 clock cycle for each port.)
B: use a USB VGA D-sub output adapter ( I'm not sure how the video is on the USB screen, you should test this before using)
C: use a laptop docking station with several more VGA D-sub ports.
D: use HDMI / DVI cable for 2nd screen. (when available ofcourse ;-))
E: Depending on what pc you are using and space available, add an extra videocard.

About your choice of processors. I know for a fact that Core 2 quad and amd 6core are really power users. What quad core do you have laying around? the q8200 is the one using the least power.

Why not build a small Intel atom system?

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM

I guess an atom based system would be good if it can handle video

Old 07-04-2013, 04:33 AM

Sure it can, just buy the right motherboard. ;-)

Don't expect intense gaming results with it ofc.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Attached Thumbnails carputer project-xklf.jpg   carputer project-tpae.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM

thanks suede, but the jag center caps wont fit the wheels. these use 2.75" outside diameter. the jag caps are 2.25" having them custom made is the only option that i know of.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gosh those screens are big! wouldn't like to leave the car parked on the streets now. I'm guessing that car is a lwb one.