XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Central locking fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Central locking fail

Recently my central locking button has quit. I washed the car and afterwards opened the windows and cleaned the inside. When I was done I turned the car on and hit the central locking button to lock the doors and close the windows because I had to run to the store. Well the locks didn't lock and the windows went all the way up and then all the way down. Now the button doesn't work. But the locks themselves work no problem...just the button. Also when I activate the alarm the little red light blinks in the center of the button. What's the problem here?

The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-15-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have exact same problem.

Button seems fine, fuse too because the central locking is working with fob and key. Someone got an idea where to look further?

Doug (01-15-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Maraud
I have exact same problem.

Button seems fine, fuse too because the central locking is working with fob and key. Someone got an idea where to look further?
Bad earth or a suspect central locking relay. Not sure whereabouts it is, but it's in the manual orsomeone here will chime in. Maybe do a search in the archives in the meantime?

Keep us posted.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The push button switch sned a ground signal (on the slate/green wire) to the solid state locking module....which in turn operates the lock relays.

So, if the locks work at all the relays are OK

You can pull the switch panel and use a test meter to see if the switch has "ground" on both sides when pressed

Also, bear in mind (I always forget as I seldom use the switch) that the switch has a peculiar operating logic (which might vary from market to market)

On mine, for example, it won't operate the locks at all unless the key is "on". Then, if the transmission is in "P" it will lock the locks but not unlock them. If the transmission is in "D" it will unlock the doors but not lock them.

And I *think* the operating logic might be different with key on/engine off versus key on/engine running. Not sure.

Sometimes the electronic logic of these systems is way beyond the dimensions of my mere human logic :-)

Anyhow, it might be that you're trying to use the switch in a mode where its function is intentionally defeated.

Cheers
DD

Maraud (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them fix it. I would do it myself but I don't have the time at all this week. There going to charge me an arm and a leg lol

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Anyhow, it might be that you're trying to use the switch in a mode where its function is intentionally defeated.
Thanks for the info! I will certainly have a look at the ground wire for the switch.

When driving and someone wants to get in I always have to pull the door handle for them to open the door. The button just doesnt work, while the rest of the buttons on the panel work fine, dont they use the same ground cable?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by sogood
Bad earth or a suspect central locking relay. Not sure whereabouts it is, but it's in the manual orsomeone here will chime in. Maybe do a search in the archives in the meantime?

Keep us posted.

Nothing about this subject in archives, thats why the post.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maraud
When driving and someone wants to get in I always have to pull the door handle for them to open the door. The button just doesnt work,

Does being in "P" versus "D" make any difference? Or is it inoperative either way? Just curious

while the rest of the buttons on the panel work fine, dont they use the same ground cable?

Maybe so, I didn't examine the wiring/operating principles of the other buttons. If they also operate on a ground basis then they all might share the share ground *source*, yes. But Perhaps the lock switch is faulty and not sending the ground signal to the control module

Cheers
DD

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
On mine, for example, it won't operate the locks at all unless the key is "on". Then, if the transmission is in "P" it will lock the locks but not unlock them. If the transmission is in "D" it will unlock the doors but not lock them.

I retract all of that !

Interesting development. Although I almost never use this button this conversation got me a bit curious....especially since I've been a bit confounded by it in the past.

So.....

I tried using the button and it behaved exactly as I described previously. The checked the operation in different scenarios and sequences such as doors already locked *before* putting it in "P" versus doors unlocked when shifting into "P, etc.

I confused myself on where I had already been and started from the beginning.

And then.......a change.

NOW the button will both lock and unlock the doors both in "P" and "D".

I can't explain it. Did multiple operations in a short time frame thaw out a "frozen" operating logic? Did exercising the seldom-used button resore correct operation? I dunno, but I'm not complaining :-)

So, I owe all you guys a "thank you". Without this thread I would not have become curious and without becoming curious I wouldn't have "fixed" the problem.

Cheers
DD

paulZ (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was in for ECM issues. The locks had not worked for some time. When I got it back they said "locking started working during electrical checks" still works but it never has run the windows up. My God these things are quirky!