XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Change fuel pressure regulator as maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Change fuel pressure regulator as maintenance?

The following thread is interesting as a testament to issues with the long term reliability with the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) as used on the X300/AJ16.

Part number: EBC2606

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gulator-65918/

Based on the comments in the thread above, it seems that the EBC2606 FPR as used on the X300 has a "shelf life". And with our cars being 18-20yrs old .... I wonder if the FPR may be a preventative maintenance item if never replaced.

I am planning on removing my injectors in the next month or so and sending them to "Mr. Injector" ( Mr Injector - Home ) who is a highly recommended injector rebuilder in the GM 3800 community. And while I've got the injectors off, I thought I might just budget for a new FPR as part of the overall rehab of the fuel delivery system.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone have any experience with aftermarket FPRs versus OEM? The price gap is pretty extreme.

Aftermarket runs from $50-150, but OEM is over $300. A Bosch is about $120-140, Beck Arnley is $50-60.

Also, for anyone searching for similar info, here's an FPR installation FAQ/how-to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...val-faq-57996/

Here is an interesting aside that likely doesn't apply to our FPR and fuel system, but interesting never the less:

Jay Leno hates ethanol | Autoweek

Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

Based on the comments in the thread above, it seems that the EBC2606 FPR as used on the X300 has a "shelf life". And with our cars being 18-20yrs old .... I wonder if the FPR may be a preventative maintenance item if never replaced.

Personally, I'd wait.

If the FPR was normally difficult to replace or inexpensive it would be more tempting to replace it 'while you're at it'. As it stands, though, it would not be hard to replace at a later time IF it does indeed fail....and it isn't particularly inexpensive.

Just me.

Over the years I've been backing away from pre-emptive parts replacements.

I am planning on removing my injectors in the next month or so and sending them to "Mr. Injector" ( Mr Injector - Home ) who is a highly recommended injector rebuilder in the GM 3800 community. And while I've got the injectors off, I thought I might just budget for a new FPR as part of the overall rehab of the fuel delivery system.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone have any experience with aftermarket FPRs versus OEM? The price gap is pretty extreme.

Aftermarket runs from $50-150, but OEM is over $300. A Bosch is about $120-140, Beck Arnley is $50-60.

I would feel good about getting a genuine Bosch item but nowadays, with the incessant label-engineering, it's hard to tell what will be there when you open the box.

Here is an interesting aside that likely doesn't apply to our FPR and fuel system, but interesting never the less:

Jay Leno hates ethanol | Autoweek

Oh lord. Just what we need. A celebrity to 'add fuel' (sorry!) to the E10 debate. Don't get me started !

Cheers
DD

Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Since we don't have a built-in tap on the fuel rail to monitor fuel pressure, what would be a good way to verify if the FPR were good?

Could one pull the vacuum line and check for fuel?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Since we don't have a built-in tap on the fuel rail to monitor fuel pressure, what would be a good way to verify if the FPR were good?

Could one pull the vacuum line and check for fuel?

Hi Al,

See Bryan N's photos at the link below for the method he devised for testing the fuel pressure leakdown on his XJ40 (same FPR as the X300):

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Since the FPR works together with the fuel check valve/non-return valve to maintain pressure in the rail, you can't easily test the FPR by itself, except to pull the vacuum hose as you mentioned and check for wet fuel, which indicates failure of the diaphragm. But even if the diaphragm isn't leaking, the FPR can lose its ability to hold the correct pressure. The fuel check valve is either built into the fuel pump module or evaporative flange in the tank, so it's not easy to test by itself either.

Probably the most common symptom of declining FPR / check valve performance is extended cranking to start the car. If your car is starting quickly, you're probably fine, but if since you're going to pull the fuel rail anyway, I would personally consider replacing the FPR preemptively simply because it isn't easy to test its function independently, so diagnosing future problems is not necessarily straightforward.

I wanted a Bosch and found one through an Amazon seller for about $80.00. You can look up the Bosch part number at the Bosch parts finder website.

Below are links to photos of fuel rail and injector work I've done on our '93, which is fairly similar to the X300 (I ran X300 injectors in our Xj40 for about a year before I cleaned the original injectors and reinstalled them). The last two links are albums showing how I cleaned and rebuilt our injectors at home. I'm sure Mr. Injector would do an even better job, but I'd seen a couple of YouTube DIY videos and just had to see if I could do it myself:

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
al_roethlisberger (04-25-2015), MountainMan (04-27-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Brand: Bosch
Product Description: Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator
Manufacturer Part Number: 0-280-160-234
Other Part Number: 0 280 160 234, 0280160234
Interchange Part Number: EBC 2606, EBC2606

Yep, can be found for $75-80

The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
Don B (04-25-2015), MountainMan (04-27-2015)