XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Cracked Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Manifold?

I know Enthusiasts, if it isn't one thing it's another but we all have a true LOVE for these cars right? I had some stalling issues with my '95 Vanden Plas and almost $1500.00 later my problems have been solved. Had the catalytic converter replaced, O2 Sensors, fuel filter, 3 ignition coils, spark plugs, crank position sensor and had the throttle body cleaned. Had the idle senor, ERG valve and the idle air control valve "looked at". I was told they were okay. Now it seems as if I have some air escaping from somewhere; maybe from the cracked manifold when I removed the heat shield. Now the "missing" has been replaced with a "hissing" noise! It seems as if the Cat is no longer "purring", it's now "roaring"! Almost like a load muffler noise. My question to Jaguar Nation, could all this be coming from the cracked manifold?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Wow, Nupe- You have a pile of new parts. I hope you needed most of them!- Any one of those could have caused your issue. As to the manifold, if you are asking whether a cracked manifold can cause a hissing a rumbling noise, the anser is YES- thats is one thing that happen.

Even before it gets to rumbling, it can introduce exhaust into the cab and kill you, if you drive with the AC or heat on and the windows up.

Less serious and much more likely, it can entrain oxygen into the exhaust flow and cause the lmbda sensors to read lean, causing the ECU to richen the mixture, which will cause poor gas mileage and performance. The bad news is that the manifold is hard to repair and expensive to replace.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Years ago, when your car was much newer, cracking of the exhaust manifold was a known issue. Also stated as hard to detect. This was in an article on X300 issues in one of our UK Jaguar magazines at the time.

So the sorry thing is you might not have needed all those new parts, but anyway, now you have them the car should get to Mars and back as Jaguar intended ! (provided you replace the manifold if it's cracked !!). I am not sure if anybody has ever welded up an exhaust manifold, I suspect not, if they are cast iron.

The following users liked this post:
NupeRangeRover (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Thanks Guys. Those are alot of parts right? I really hope that I needed them but you know how it is when you take are vehicle into a European and Foreign Car Repair shop and you really don't have any knowledge of what's going on how . they might "jerk" you around! I am in North Louisiana and there isn't many "trusted" repair shops that work on foreign vehicles. Anyway, I just looked at a few exhaust manifolds on Ebay, I was wanting to know is it possible that my exhaust manifolds that are currently on my vehicle be soldered/welded? I KNOW after this issue is taken car of this Cat will Purr once again and not "hiss" and make other loud noices as if FlowMasters have been installed on her! Lol.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

You can try to weld cast iron but it may or may not work. Ask an experienced welding shop if they will try. Most will use Nickel or NI-ROD.

I had a brand new-in-box one for BANK 2 a few years ago but I think I sold it.
I have a used Bank 2 with air injection but NO EGR port and one stud is missing.

A search on eBay or car-part.com is your best bet.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
NupeRangeRover (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. Over the weekend I took the XJ6 into a muffler shop, when they lifted it on the rack the donut between the two catalytic converters was worn out the the pipe behind the catalytic converter had a split in it. The cut the pipe, did without the donut and welded a new pipe on. 50 bucks later she is again now purring like a Jaguar again!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Cool , I had a cracked manifold problem in my XJ40 . They welded it and I used it 5 yrs more and sold it w/o any more annoying odd sounds lol