XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

In Dash Clock

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default In Dash Clock

I read alot about the in dash clocks not working, however, mine seems to have a mind of it's own. For a few days it has worked great day and night then it decides to not work at all for a day or so then back to working again. If I was to remove it and used some electric cleaner on the contacts(plug) would it be worth it or should I just send it out to be rebuilt..

Thanks

Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

The chances of your fault being at the harness connector are VERY slim. If it's the usual X300 clock issue, electrical cleaner isn't going to help.

The Ribbon cable that connects the LCD display to the circuit board was heat bonded by Jaguar. But the incandescent backlights they used generated too much heat, and have broken down the bond over time, so now the ribbon cable is just touching the contacts on the circuit board. It might still work, but vibrations and temperature fluctuations will completely or partially break contact.

The only permanent solution is to have the ribbon cable heat bonded again, and replace the hot incandescent bulbs with LEDs.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Here's another solution;
When you open the clock unit you can see a white bracket which holds the LC clock panel. The heat bonded area of the flexible substrate is under the bracket. You can stick a piece of sponge tape on the bracket to press the area in order to connect the substrate precisely.

This is how I repair the clock. All are written in Japanese but at least you can see how it is like by the picture.

http://jaglover.web.fc2.com/maintena...ockrepair.html

I leave the bulbs as normal, but I have no problem. I don't like the "cold" light of the LED lol

Of course you can have it repaired by someone. But as Oubadah said the electric cleaner won't work.

Last edited by Japthug; 06-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (08-21-2022)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you take the clock from a 94 xj6, take out the guts to repair the clock in the 96 xj6?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to go with the pictures from Japaneese link

1. You must first take out the center console.
It is here (I give away the console) Please refer to.

2.And rose to the center console, air conditioning and audio put out pulling the unit, unscrew the four locations on the back, remove the connector and remove the watch area.

3.The photo above is then removed, the screws on the frame are four of the arrow on the console.
Disconnected, and then removed again in this picture is, remove any screws that hold the back cover. Is OK by removing all the screws are visible.

4.As enclosed in a red square, down by four places, so we stopped at a total of eight locations nails, etc. We will carefully remove remove interior.

5.However, caution is needed when removing the back cover, unless this is done must watch extruded along with the unit is that.
While removing the lid, push your finger on the red arrow to watch.
So unless this is done, substrates and flexible substrate that connects the clock (code tape saying goes), there are many that have come off and Peritsu.
Toka show no crystal at all, if you are badly off from the end is even with peeling, you may want without having to worry too much.

6.And pull out, feeling part of the watch is fixed such.
The lower portion of the LCD screen.
Remove the white brackets that hold the LCD part.

Brackets because it simply comes off as soon as the photo stuck on the nail.

Removed and this looks like.
After all, the portion surrounded by red, peeling off little by little been pasted a portion of the flexible substrate, that is, the electricity no longer flows to the LCD screen.
So, depending on temperature and humidity are also not seen that or disappear.

Pictures from the top again.
Adhesion of the earlier part, from top to hold the brackets is how, in fact, exactly the extent to which the force is not accompanied taken. Let bite here and sponge tape, said he is strongly pressuring the adhesive surface, a mechanism which will allow current to flow through the entire back.
However, this 押Saetsuke not feel quite delicate, you may be too strong.
So it is more convenient not bouncy like a sponge tape.

So, disengages the bracket, not on the LCD, the boxed portion of the substrate, apply a vibration like a sponge tape.
The photograph is a flexible substrate is no longer hit the pace (^ ^;

I actually adhered to.
You can pick up a thin, weak in one two if, when superimposed on the wind so that it can ease the adjustment.

If you've peeled off, while doing well supported with fingers like a photograph, each of the contacts to fit properly (fit properly stripes) Hame込Mimashou a good bracket.

Lever, once the connector connects the car to the left of the LCD buttons (see picture), press forward to hours and minutes, please try to light up everything.
There is a toggle button to the right from the AM / PM on the same type of button, press it well, let's see. Images do not appear as if whole, ensure clean the contacts that match the first, by changing the thickness of the foam tape if all else fails, please adjust the pressing pressure. I should have come Bitatto somewhere.

Fast forward to 剥Gasazu board may not be revived even when how.
At that time, the board removed from the flexible substrate venture, it may work again and re-押Saetsuke as described above.
However, the course at your own peril! ! No responsibility can be peeled off completely dead (^^;;; 取Remasen
But not detached, not detached, none has been successful. The more often it is certainly better off detached.

Once, just after we assembled the other hand, the bracket can be turned off during build up again, so often a Reminder or a transparent resin plate attached to the front of the LCD glass before assembling組Mi上Gemashou Make sure you look good if I combined all the parts.

Not the greatest translation, hope it helps

Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Simprof
I read alot about the in dash clocks not working, however, mine seems to have a mind of it's own. For a few days it has worked great day and night then it decides to not work at all for a day or so then back to working again. If I was to remove it and used some electric cleaner on the contacts(plug) would it be worth it or should I just send it out to be rebuilt..

Thanks

Mine did that for a month or two, had it rebuilt and all's well. I think you are experiencing the common problem.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

How did U remove the clock

Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by vmaxie
How did U remove the clock
Pull the ski-slope (see sticky-5tevie, I believe) and IIRC, it is fairly self-evident from there. You send the entire panel for repair, not just the clock LCD. Including seat-heat switches if so-equipped. Can't recall what else is on there... maybe lock button and hazard flashers?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Successful repair to my clock...............

I ordered a ribbon cable "kit" via a UK supplier and it was totally successful via this seller:
Jaguar XJ6 XJR X300 94 97 Ribbon Cable for Clock LCD Display Pixel Repair | eBay

I am working on completing the console right now and have replaced all incandescents (cause of the ribbon peeling) with green LED's (incl radio) ...very happy with the result. As long as you are confident in using a soldering iron to do the job, and I used an IR heat gun to make sure the temp was within "specs"..then you will be fine!

Cheers,
Peter.

The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (09-20-2014)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X300 clock

Originally Posted by groutby
I ordered a ribbon cable "kit" via a UK supplier and it was totally successful via this seller:
Jaguar XJ6 XJR X300 94 97 Ribbon Cable for Clock LCD Display Pixel Repair | eBay

I am working on completing the console right now and have replaced all incandescents (cause of the ribbon peeling) with green LED's (incl radio) ...very happy with the result. As long as you are confident in using a soldering iron to do the job, and I used an IR heat gun to make sure the temp was within "specs"..then you will be fine!

Cheers,
Peter.
Hello. Could i ask you to expand on how you fixed the clock with the kit. I have the ribbon cable and a T tip iron part on order. Thank you. Tim, California, 94 XJ6 VDP

Old 04-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Received 246 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Bentley
Hello. Could i ask you to expand on how you fixed the clock with the kit. I have the ribbon cable and a T tip iron part on order. Thank you. Tim, California, 94 XJ6 VDP
Have sent Private Message.