XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Dash LCD not visible at night

Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Dash LCD not visible at night

The dashboard LCD (odometer/fuel readings, etc) readout is visible during daylight hours, but not at night. Is this controlled by some mini-lights within the dash?

I'm reading the Electrical Diagnostic Manual and it states:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Liquid Crystal Display
A single line, six digit, 7 segment display with six trip function flags used for odometer, trip computer and driver messages.

NOTE: If the instrument pack has not been PECUS programmed, the back illumination of the LCD will not switch on.
Check that a PECUS label is attached to the back of the pack.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Could this be related to the "instrument pack not being PECUS programmed"? Why is that? If the "back illumination of the LCD" didnt work, would i not be able to see its read-out during the day?

All instruments work - all other dash instruments are illuminated as expected.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM

I guess Ill take my machete out of its sheath and forge my way into uncharted territory

Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
The dashboard LCD (odometer/fuel readings, etc) readout is visible during daylight hours, but not at night. Is this controlled by some mini-lights within the dash?
I can't profess to know the answer to your problem as I don't have the technical knowledge to understand anything whatsoever about PECUS programming or even what it means!
But, just to be clear, when you say it's not visible at night, you make no reference to the car's lighting system. Do I take it that even when you switch the vehicle lights on, this part of the dashboard display does not illuminate? I presume the readout LCDs are there and working OK, just not illuminated when you turn on the lights - is that correct?
Have you any reason to believe that the problem is not quite simply a failure of one or more bulbs used to light up this section of the dash panel?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by biffta
But, just to be clear, when you say it's not visible at night, you make no reference to the car's lighting system. Do I take it that even when you switch the vehicle lights on, this part of the dashboard display does not illuminate? I presume the readout LCDs are there and working OK, just not illuminated when you turn on the lights - is that correct?
Have you any reason to believe that the problem is not quite simply a failure of one or more bulbs used to light up this section of the dash panel?
Yes ... at night, when I turn on the road lights, all the dash lights illuminate, for all the gauges and speedo and tach, but the odometer LCD is black. I am assuming there are mini-lights around the LCD, as the clock LCD has? I've checked the electrical diagrams and can't verify.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
Yes ... at night, when I turn on the road lights, all the dash lights illuminate, for all the gauges and speedo and tach, but the odometer LCD is black. I am assuming there are mini-lights around the LCD, as the clock LCD has? I've checked the electrical diagrams and can't verify.
Can you access behind and check for bulbs?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are blubs that light up the odometer. I had to change mine. There are instructions in the jaguar archives. It is pretty easy.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by wrd0225
There are blubs that light up the odometer. I had to change mine. There are instructions in the jaguar archives. It is pretty easy.
Thanks for the feedback - now that I know for sure, I'll give it a go. I'll also do another search in the archives for the procedure. Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem, no LED lights on the trip readings. Please let me know what you find in case i don't find it.