XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Dr seat won't move after memory engaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Question Dr seat won't move after memory engaged

Hello, all,

I'm having an issue with my 95 XJR. The alarm went off likely after depressing the key fob unlock too long, and also engaged one of the seat memory positions. I have used the unlock via key fob only once since replacing the batteries and cleaning it at same time (usually use the key), and never did do the proper re-programming steps after. I remember a while back when I accidentally pressed the memory 1 button instead of the window switch I started moving closer to the steering wheel so I just manually stopped the seat and moved it back with no problems. My seats always work with no problems until now.

So this time after the alarm went off and I got in the car as much as i could seeing as memory put it into little old lady position, I started the car just to silence the alarm, then I was unable to manually operate the drivers seat; none of the functions on that seat operate, passenger seat works just fine.

Wondering if it's a memory issue, seat electrical/motor issue, initial lack of re-setting the fob after having batteries out for 10 mins which was a few months ago, or what. Also wondering if disconnecting battery for a bit might help as in this one link Motorcarman posted: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...noperative-pdf

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I cannot drive the car, or even get into it right now. Thank you.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Sometimes a battery reset helps them. Also, my driver's seat has a delay in all switch positions which, to the uninitiated, may seem like it doesn't work...seems like maybe up to a second between switch input and motor action....also continues moving for nearly as long after you release. Makes for interesting seat-adjustments!

It didn't used to be that way...just started one day. So try holding the button longer....

Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the reply. I tried holding it longer in desperation already lol. Good thing wife was with me when it happened as it was just enough room for her to squeeze in and drive us back home.

So just remove the negative, then the positive, wait for 30 seconds to a minute, re-attach positive, re-attach negative, and hope it all works including starting the car and no new electrical gremlins appear as I've read happening in other posts from simply 'disconnecting' the battery, right? lol

Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Discon negative only and that was enough to get the power seat to respond after re-connecting it again.