XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Driveline Vibration (slight right at speed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration (slight right at speed)

Hi all!

So i've recently done a full suspension refresh and posted a thread on this. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ostrut-163427/

No more knocks and rattles, but i did uncover a slightly annoying driveline vibration. It does not occur at low speeds. However, when i'm going at 60kmph and beyond, i can feel (and hear) a vibration from the steering wheel and foot well. This intensifies when steer right. Strangely, steering left is without issues! Quiet. Any ideas? I suspect the rear engine mount (the only part i missed in my overhaul). Wheel bearings are fine. Could it be a driveshaft misalignment??

Thanks all! Kopi

Last edited by Kopi; 05-31-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

It isnt one of the front wheels out of balance is it? As you turn, one wheel speeds up, and the other slows, which could explain why it disappears under certain cornering situations? The rear engine mount tends to make itself known over bumps when it is worn, so doesnt seem to fit the bill here.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone please? This is really bugging me! (thanks countyjag - i just got my wheel balanced but the issue remains)

Let me try to be more precise with the symptoms. When i give a steering input towards the right at speeds above 50-60kmph, I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel and foot well. It is also accompanied by a very audible drone. Steering left at speed does not result in any symptoms. When i'm going slow, the symptom disappears (or is faint enough that i can't feel it?)

What could it be?

- Wheel bearings? When i mentioned that "wheel bearings are fine", i basically did the standard "roll the wheel and listen" plus the "grab the wheel and shake" test. Are my symptoms consistent with a failing wheel bearing? (i.e. the left front perhaps?)

- my entire front / rear suspension has just been refreshed, bushings, shocks, vee mounts, subframe etc. (only thing i didn't touch are the coil springs)

- i am on 8.5x18 Milans with 225/50/18 tires (i was told the tires are too narrow but I'm not about to swap out 4 Michelin Pilot SSs with good tread life until i'm sure!). The tires clear my wheel wells and fenders. Also, the symptoms come on at speed with only the slightest steering input to the right, so it does not seem like scrubbing.

Would appreciate some help here!

Best,
Kopi

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Kopi,
Sorry to hear the balancing didn't fix it, but your mention of a droning and the bigger wheels would put wheel bearings into the frame. Try jacking the car up with the wheel still on, and turning it by hand while resting a finger on one of the coils of the Spring. Even when bearings seem OK, this method can highlight a worn bearing by the rough feeling you get. The larger wheels put more load onto the bearing, and can exacerbate any problems. While you are at it, you should check the bearings end float, as the bigger wheels would have a tendency to cause this to increase. Remember that there is intended to be some end float, and that eliminating it completely will shortly thereafter have the same effect on your bearings!
There are various guides online showing optimal tyre widths for given wheel widths. 225 sounds a little tight for an 8.5 j wheel, and whilst it can affect the tyres performance, I don't think it would cause your current problem.