XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Evaporator XJ6 1995

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evaporator XJ6 1995

i dont know about the specific car, but the evaporater is ususally right around the radiator.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoops..sorry for the confusion there..is it accessible without removing the dash?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  7.4 KB

Any help?

Air Conditioning Condenser & Filter/Drier Repl.
Failure of the condenser is one of the most common reasons for loss of refrigerant, as it is quite exposed at the lower front of the car. The filter/drier is mounted alongside the condenser and needs the condenser to be removed for replacement.
To remove the condenser, first remove the radiator top panel which crosses the width of the car at the front of the bonnet area. It is secured by a number of large torx bolts which appear to frequently seize up. If necessary, they will need to be drilled out, or the heads ground off, but fortunately load on this panel is not high and loss of one or two bolts does not appear to be a problem.
Locate the pipes leading to the condenser as they pass to the left side of the main radiator. The union for one pipe is a few inches into the main engine bay whereas the second is on the filter/drier unit, mounted on top of the condenser and therefore harder to access.
Undo the unions slowly, listening for refrigerant pressure. If there is any pressure, then you don’t have a leak and the condenser doesn’t need replacement.
The top of the main engine radiator can be pushed gently backwards and the condenser & filter/drier then removed by pulling them upward. On XJR models, the upper hose for the intercooler radiator, mounted in front of the condenser, makes this more difficult but it is just possible without removing the hose.
The area around the mounting lugs for the condenser is a known rust spot and so you may consider treating it with a rust-proofing agent prior to refitting.
If you have to replace the condenser, replace the filter/drier at the same time as these do wear out and otherwise need replacement on their own.
When refitting the condenser, carefully lower it into the space and from underneath ensure it is settled correctly onto the locating posts. Reattach the pipework and refit the top panel.
The system works at high pressure so ensure O-rings are in good condition and ensure unions are tight during refitting. Always use two spanners on the union to avoid stresses other parts of the pipework when loosening or tightening the unions.
Jim

The following users liked this post:
6sabre (06-25-2016)
Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The evap requires removing the dash. It' not a fun job. You can get the expansion valve from the engine bay side of the firewall.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Jaguar does not offer the expansion valve separately. I do have them. It's on the a/c lines on the engine side of the firewall.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have sort of the same problem. I had both of the ac lines replaced and did a evac and recharge. The air is still not cold. noticed that with the engine reved up low side pulls down to a vacum, which usually means that the expansion valve is blocked and needs replacing. is the expansion valve in the dash on either side of the firewall or is it actually part of the low side line. what is the (muffler?) thing that the low side valve is in. I can order an expansion valve from napa for $48. how and where do you replace this part?

thanks

roman

Old 08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Jaguar does not offer the expansion valve separately. I do have them. It's on the a/c lines on the engine side of the firewall.
is it in the ac lines.. if so where... i have a 96 xj6 and my air went out too. I have looked to see how to do the repair myself.. my system does not leak. was told that i need the expansion valve as well..

can you post a pic or diagram of where it is and how to replace it. is it a new hose? or is it part of the evap. I have been told that it IS part of the evap. If not can you help me locate it.

thanks