XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Are front door panels (cards) adjustable front to rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Are front door panels (cards) adjustable front to rear?

So I noticed the other day that my front RH interior door panel (card) seemed to be about an 1/16-1/8" further forward than my LH panel. This may not seem like much, but the front edge of the panel now aaaalmost touches the dash with the door closed, and the gap between the rear of the panel and B-pillar is really noticeably too wide.

None of this presents a mechanical problem, and there doesn't seem to be any physical interference, etc.... barely (the dash is quite close) but it does bother me aesthetically.

So for those that have removed the door panels, specifically the fronts, is there some "wiggle room" when mounting them to shift them a bit fore & aft so I could possibly adjust this? If not I don't want to disturb the panel as it seems like it's never been removed. So I wanted to check beforehand to verify if the panel has some room for adjustment.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Is it causing a problem?

Honestly, if it not causing a problem I would leave it as is.
In my experience removing the inside door planel may cause the retaining clips to break. Getting replacements is a real hassel, plus the task of refitting is a pain.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had all of mine off to install new speakers, does not seem to be an adjustment. Must be you have to adjust the whole door or the dash pad?
The top half and bottom half are two different pieces, maybe the top half you could loosen up and pull back the small amount you say is different. The bottom has no room because the mounting holes and pegs are non adjustable.

Kevin

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
So I noticed the other day that my front RH interior door panel (card) seemed to be about an 1/16-1/8" further forward than my LH panel. This may not seem like much, but the front edge of the panel now aaaalmost touches the dash with the door closed, and the gap between the rear of the panel and B-pillar is really noticeably too wide.

None of this presents a mechanical problem, and there doesn't seem to be any physical interference, etc.... barely (the dash is quite close) but it does bother me aesthetically.

So for those that have removed the door panels, specifically the fronts, is there some "wiggle room" when mounting them to shift them a bit fore & aft so I could possibly adjust this? If not I don't want to disturb the panel as it seems like it's never been removed. So I wanted to check beforehand to verify if the panel has some room for adjustment.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Kevin, I need to remove the driver''s door card to fit a new door check, is it fairly easy to remove & reinstall the card. Any tips, please?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is about 5 minutes to remove it. Remove the door handle release chrome surround (screw is under little black plate). Gently pull wood veneer forward towards front of car, not out but forward and it will release holding tab. Undo front push pin, best to use a door panel release tool as not to hurt upper door panel. Remove 1 screw from under black rubber diaphragm, look hard it's under the bottom. Remove two screws in upper door panel. Just pull up and it's off.

The lower panels has 1 screw at top, more towards the back, 1 screw under the top of the door pull handle where it mounts to the door panel. Next is just a good pull out from the bottom first, then push up to release big white mount (out and a little up at the same time, there is a big mount in the center that is really in there and it easier to get it out this way) to release panel from fasteners, usually the end two fasteners on the bottom will break, they have a different mount than the others on my door. It is a smaller/tighter mount to keep the panel from coming off with the shutting of the door? There is 1 big white wedge mount in the center, it usually comes off with the door, I put it back in the slot where it belongs before I remount the panel. Unplug wire connectors and there you are.

Good luck

Kevin

Originally Posted by Tipptone
Hi Kevin, I need to remove the driver''s door card to fit a new door check, is it fairly easy to remove & reinstall the card. Any tips, please?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM

Thanks Kevin. You make it sound so easy you have cheered me up!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Al, I don't recall any adjustability...but I was in there 3 or 4 years ago....

Tipptone: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-panels-52150/

The following users liked this post:
Tipptone (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks aholbro1. As they say, a picture''s worth a thousand words.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Thanks, to answer one of the questions above, the door itself isn't shifted further forward.

When I look at the placement of the panel/card on the door itself (referencing gaps, alignment with window opening, etc), it is clearly installed a little forward on the RH door as compared to the LH door.