XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

fuel pump or throttle body problem ????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fuel pump or throttle body problem ????????

When I’m driving the car the engine just stops running, when I try to start the engine it just turns won’t start. I park the car wait about 30 to 45 minutes and the car starts. It happens about once every two months and it seems like it happens when the weather gets warm. Do you think it could be the throttle body or the fuel pump or the fuel pump sensor? I don’t think it could be the fuel pump because when the car is running it will cruise at 90 (like most X300 will) with no problems in power. Send afew opinions

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Sounds like CKPS fault but you should check to see if any DTCs are logged in the ECM.

Crank sensor faults don't usually show up in the ECM as a DTC but will shut your car down!!!

Not that costly but well worth changing or keeping one in stock for replacement.

bob gauff

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Sounds like CKPS fault but you should check to see if any DTCs are logged in the ECM.

Crank sensor faults don't usually show up in the ECM as a DTC but will shut your car down!!!

Not that costly but well worth changing or keeping one in stock for replacement.

bob gauff
MCM Could you explain what is a CKPS and a DTC?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I'll assist:

Crank Position Sensor (Oops - shoulda sit quietly and waited for McM - I went off on a chain-tensioner odyssey here...then had a cup of coffee!)

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (From OBD2 reader...port under driver's side dash at front of ctr console)

Engine Control Module (ECM) but you didn't ask about that one...

Last edited by aholbro1; 06-22-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Default Oil switch temperature sensor

I had someone perform an engine scan, it said the oil switch temperature sensor was bad. Two questions; where in the engine compartment is the ost sensor located and where would I buy one????????? AS I THOUGHT ABOUT THE FACT THAT WHEN THE WEATHER GETS WARMER THE OIL ALSO GETS WARM AND THE ENGINE STARTED SHUTING DOWN ABOUT THREE DAYS AGO WHEN WEATHER TEMP STARTED HITTING 80%. I need alittle help from the x300 team.

Last edited by cooke; 06-22-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by cooke
I had someone perform an engine scan, it said the oil switch temperature sensor was bad. Two questions; where in the engine compartment is the ost sensor located and where would I buy one????????? .
It may shed a bit more light if you provide the actual numeric code(s) obtained from the scan......

Stumped! Ok, my phone reports engine oil temp obtained via the OBDII data port...so I guess there is a sensor somewhere reporting to the ECM...but I just went through JEPC, Rock Auto, and the X300 Elect. guide and I can't find mention of such an animal. So what would the ECM do with that info? and better yet....what kind of malfunction would cause it to shut you down? Theoretically, the software may include a protection that shuts the engine down if oil temp exceeds some max....but I'd rather it shut me down if it senses loss of oil pressure (or below some preset min) and I know from oil press. transducer failure in the '95 there is no such protection....so why would they have a max temp shutdown? Stranger things have been designed, but I'd think you could do lots more damage more quickly with no Press vs. High temp.

Incidentally, the crank position sensor mentioned above is in the $139 range at Rock if you need the 2-blade connector. Woe to he who requires the 3-blade version...closer to $350;

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Sorry, not much help to you with this one....

Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Default I found the problem

Originally Posted by cooke
when i’m driving the car the engine just stops running, when i try to start the engine it just turns won’t start. I park the car wait about 30 to 45 minutes and the car starts. It happens about once every two months and it seems like it happens when the weather gets warm. Do you think it could be the throttle body or the fuel pump or the fuel pump sensor? I don’t think it could be the fuel pump because when the car is running it will cruise at 90 (like most x300 will) with no problems in power. Send afew opinions
__________________________________________________ ______________

Yesterday the car stopped on me again and was waiting for the normal 30 to 40 minutes, but all of a sudden I decided to disconnect the the fuel line from the fuel injection rail. After I disconnect it i cranked it up to see if any gas was coming down the line, NO GAS. We have a fuel pump problem. X300 Team Thank You For The Help

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

I have a 97 XJR with twin pumps in the tank and I recently replaced both. The fuel feed and return lines beneath the tank are impossible to get to and remove. I pulled the tank out and eventually the lines wiggled out, but destroyed the stuffer pins. You will need to replace the stuffer pins in the tank before connecting the lines. Also, remember to reset the inertia fuel shut-off switch under the carpet in the passenger side footwell. I purchased my pumps at Welsh Automotive for under 100 bucks a piece. The car would not initially start after putting everything back together; I had to reseat the trunk harness for the car to start.