XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Gearbox removal - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Gearbox removal - help needed!

Hi guys! I decided to finally remove that meowing gearbox out of my Jag, following the procedures in servicing manual, I got to the point where I have the crossmember supporting the rear of the box unbolted, the rubber mount unbolted as well, it said to lower the gearbox, so I did, and then the next step is to remove the crossmember and rubber mount completely. There were 3 bolts holding the rubber mount, 2 bolted it to the crossmember and one in the middle bolting it to the box. And 4 bolting up the crossmember to the chasis. Now, am I being retarded or just not using enough force? The manual doesn't say how exactly I'm supposed to remove them, now the crossmember is dangling from the rubber mount, and the rubber mount doesn't want to budge, stuck on the gearbox. I tried wiggling, prying... I just don't want to break anything there... HELP ME Pretty please

Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I'm not sure I understand exactly, Did you manage to remove the 3 bolts that hold the mount to the cross member? If so, use a pry bar to lever it, but be careful the whole assembly may come down on your head!!

I would put a couple of bolts back in the crossmember to hold it to the frame, jack up the transmission a bit to take the strain off the mount, remove the mount bolts and then use a pry bar to give it some persuasion if necessary.

The following users liked this post:
BigBossRadio (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Yes, I've got all the bolts removed... So basically brute, yet gentle at the same time, FORCE! Sounds fun Cheers Allan!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Ok, just tried that, at different angles, with longest pry bar I've got, still nothing... I guess I'll get the whole box with it out of the Jag and maybe then I'll figure something out... I can post a video of it if you want, but don't think that'll help much...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

FireCrow....

I hope you can post a few pictures of the work you are doing on the gearbox.

I have followed your blog for a while
BigBoss in Dallas TX

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Ceers BigBoss! I haven't been around here for quite a while, Jag's been sitting on the driveway since November last year, and been really busy with college and work, but now I've got some spare time, so trying to get that bugger out, and college told me I can bring it in and change the bearings there, in their workshop, isn't that cool? Of course I'll try to snap some pictures, but lately I've been concentrating on videos, to which I'll post links here as well... And no, I'm not filming them with a potato any more, so they should be a bit closer to actual HD quality Now I'm stuck on unbolting actual gearbox from the engine... And there are 2 bolts at the top of it, which I can see, but the access is rather difficult and I'm really struggling to get them to move... I've got extensions and breaker bar, but the socket doesn't want to sit straight on it because of the shape of tunnel above the gearbox. Even though the end of the box is quite low now, I just can't seem to get them bolts to move... Eh, I think I'll have a short break, find some food in the fridge, maybe a beer, and then try again...

Old 05-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

FireCrow

Thanks for that.. I look forward to the video
BigBoss

Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Just when I thought that all the bolts and nuts on this Jag were metric, the ones securing gearbox to the engine turned out to be imperial!!! I tried 13mm but there was too much play, then I tried 12mm but they wouldn't go on. After cursing for rather long period of time, I decided to try 1/2 inch... And guess what... Spot on! I'm still fighting with those buggers though! I've got a bad feeling that I won't get it out today

Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Firecrow,

TBH I reckon it's easier to pull the engine and gearbox together than just dropping the box

Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM

Yes, if you happen to have a hoist laying around... And I was just following the workshop manual

Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FireCrow,

can you post the procedures of the manual, i'm about to do the same job, gear box removal for clutch replacement.
it will be a great help for me.

Panagiotis

Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 AM

Hi panagiotis! I have to warn you, it's not the quickest job on that car And Autodata has some weird data on working times... Because it says that gearbox removal and refit takes 16,5 hours but clutch takes just over 3 hours (and that time is supposed to include removal and refit of the box, figure that one out). Anyway, I must warn you, the bolt securing the box to the engine right at the top is a ******* to get to, I suggest you remove the heatshield as well, in order to gain better access. Taking the box out with complete engine is an option as well, but I'm afraid it will take a lot longer, and you still have to disconnect same components + more stuff that is attached to the engine. I attached here a part of PDF file, you can find complete manual in this section: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

Anyway, by the end of the week I'll be uploading complete video showing the most important things you need to do in order to get the box out, I shall upload it in this thread, and the thread about my car

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual Gearbox + Clutch.pdf (1.37 MB, 699 views)
panagiotis (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM

FireCrow, Thanks a lot for your rapid reply !!!

For sure is a long job, i'm planning a complete weekend ++ to do it.
Removing the complete engine-gear box...? from above i suppose.?
In fact the car has 144KKm, the clutch pedal disengages too high but not slipping, i think is time for a clutch.
I met this file for the same issue, did you use a special tool (shaft) to align the clutch disc and the pressure disc?
XJS Clutch replacement
Did you met the "balance weights" on the clutch cover ?
I'm waiting for your video !

Panagiotis

Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM

I've had no issues with clutch, only with the bearings in the box. And the box is still not quite out, as because of college + not very pleasant weather, I had to suspend the works on it. I'm still fighting with the bolt at the top, trying to grind it off with a dremel, it's taking a lot of time, access rather limited, and can't get anything bigger (like angle grinder) in there.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FireCrow
I've had no issues with clutch, only with the bearings in the box. And the box is still not quite out, as because of college + not very pleasant weather, I had to suspend the works on it. I'm still fighting with the bolt at the top, trying to grind it off with a dremel, it's taking a lot of time, access rather limited, and can't get anything bigger (like angle grinder) in there.
That's why we struggle through life in the States with an autobox, mate. We'll have no mucking about with Jaguar clutches

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Hi Tim, FireCrow, Allan (and all the Forum)

Enough struggling Tim, auto gear box is the best thing on the car by you, not yours..
Cruising on 5th, throttle it, (using your manual clutch, if you have one) switch on 3rd and feel the thing pushing you, is lovely.

I'm on a dilemma, follow FireCrow and the ****** bolt, or follow Allan and remove everything..??!!
The clutch kit left England today towards me...coming, the clutch doesn't;t slips, but it will..

Scrolled all the Forum, but this is the only thread for this issue

Waiting for the video by FireCrow, too interesting for me, I want to check the work shop area, hoisting devices, etc.

FireCrow, you mention that you follow the manual = (?) using the specified hoisting tools ?!

For me is unusual to have gear box bearing problems.

Something else: I can not open anything from the "HOW TO" thread, the file attached by FireCrow for me in this thread (FireCrow, THANK YOU), I can not even find it.
Does this has something to do with my "age" in the forum?
I can not even understand (so use) the note at the left down corner of this box: "Options quote message in reply"

Probably is my English level, I'm a a Greek guy living/working the last 17 years in Bulgaria. Only English the professional contacts (but so rear with England)

The Forum is very good, Thank You All,
Panagiotis

Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Panagiotis, it might be just me, as other bolts came out without sweat! And yeah... workshop... :i con_laugh:
Good one
Everything I do, happens on my unusual driveway. And by saying unusual, I mean it wasn't designed to be a driveway... But right now its weird shape is a blessing, although when it'll eventually come to driving out, it'll be a curse, trust me... And the hoisting devices... well, since I'm still a student, and working rather uncivilised hours for rather low pay, I use what I have and what I can afford... Don't worry, everything will be in the video But all I can say is I wish you an easy job with your kitty And if you want any files, just drop me your email address in a private message and I can send them to you! That might be easier!

Last edited by FireCrow; 05-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by panagiotis
Hi Tim, FireCrow, Allan (and all the Forum)

Enough struggling Tim, auto gear box is the best thing on the car by you, not yours..
Cruising on 5th, throttle it, (using your manual clutch, if you have one) switch on 3rd and feel the thing pushing you, is lovely.

I'm on a dilemma, follow FireCrow and the ****** bolt, or follow Allan and remove everything..??!!
The clutch kit left England today towards me...coming, the clutch doesn't;t slips, but it will..
Panagiotis,

It is really much easier to take the engine and gearbox out together. Yes you will have to remove a few more things, drain coolant etc. but none of that is hard to do. Plus you can use it as an opportunity to do other maintenance and clean the engine/engine bay. I reckon it will take half the time of just dropping the box. You can rent a hoist by the day quite cheaply probably 10-20 euros.

I am fortunate to enjoy the pleasures of the manual box in my XJS and the lazy excellence of the auto box in my XJ6. Ain't life grand!!

BigBossRadio (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 PM

Good news everyone!

It stopped raining and I finally cut off that silly bolt! That means the video will be uploaded within next few days!

Attached Thumbnails Gearbox removal - help needed!-file0033_zpsdb8afa1e.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 AM

Hi FireCrow, Too Good !!

Please tell me, since you finaly did the job, is there enough place if you just pull the gear box back (without removing it), to replace the clutch disc/pressure disk/bearing in the flywheel ?
I'm going to do the job under the car, in a channel (imagine a narrow deep grave...), so if i can do it just pulling it back and not removing it, it will be easier, supporting it on transverses at the sides of the channel.

The yoke i see in the photo is the only thing to be disconnected from the gear lever, correct?

Did you find out your bearing problem in the gear box?
Please describe the symptoms drove you to bearings problem.

Have a nice week,
Panagiotis

Quick Reply: Gearbox removal - help needed!