XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Head gasket - tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Head gasket - tips

Hello all,

I first want to thank all of you for your help and guidance from acquiring a car that did not run well to one that is daily driven.

Of course it has its faults, as many things to do.

I took a round trip with a total of about 950-1000 miles and car ran amazing! 27 mpg (US) at about 80-85 mph.

I did notice that my coolant was low and I know its not in my oil as it is not frothy. I believe it is leaking in front of the engine by the pullys but further investigation will need to be done. I don't see leaks in radiator or any hoses from what I can see. My guess is that I have a head gasket leak, which explains the seeping oil next to camshaft position sensor (by VIN #).

I never have performed such job but I will have experienced assistance. Anything that must be done to make sure she purrs after? I have not seen any threads that mention a thorough process on this. As far as Im aware (correct me if I am wrong), remove exhaust manifold, air intake, coil & plugs, valve cover, upper timing chain, remove bolts on head and pull off. From there replace head gasket and work backwards?

Trying to get this done before I lose all coolant and overheat the engine.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi jacklynthejag,

A coolant leak at the front of the engine is very likely coming from a failing water pump seal/bearing.

Regarding the oil leak, if you will clean the area around the leak and then watch to see where the oil is actually coming from, you may find that the leak is from the cam cover gasket (very common). Search the forum for issues with cam cover erosion before you tackle this job so you're prepared in the event you discover erosion.

Are you experiencing any performance issues that might suggest head gasket failure, such as rough running, loss of power, or white steam from the exhaust?

You can download the Workshop Manual here:

Jaguar X300 Workshop Manual

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-05-2018 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Jacklynthejag, don't be too quick to condemn the head gasket, as my x300 weeps oil in the same area as yours and it is coming from the timing chain cover, very close to the head gasket, and i initially blamed the head gasket, it's been like it since Ive owned her, last year I cleaned the area and put a small smear of clear silicon sealer over the area, it's hardly noticeable and has stopped the weep. I've also had a coolent leak from the water pump seal which required a new pump, hope this helps.

Don B (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM

**EDITED***

Don,

I will look at the water pump today when I get home. I will keep you posted on this. As far as performance, car runs well except on idle (rough). Oil smells like petrol so I assume leaking injector or some other unknown cause. Perhaps fuel pump but at this moment the coolant is the most important issue I want to take care of first.

Mr.Happy & Don,

I do not think it is coming from the timing chain cover as the area beneath it is dry however on the VIN number there is a weep of oil. Please see image. But I shall continue to look tonight and update you both on the matter.

Your help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Pedro G.

Last edited by jacklynthejag; 04-05-2018 at 04:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jacklynthejag:
93SB (04-06-2018), Don B (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Head gasket under the head or the valve cover gasket above the head as this makes a world of difference . Justs picked up a cherry valve cover today .

Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The exhaust cam oil feed gallery is a common area for AJ6 and AJ16 engines.
The only real fix is a new head gasket. Jaguar issued several versions of updated head gaskets over the years.

The oil will seep from near the Cam Position Sensor as you have indicated.

bob

Don B (04-06-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM

Well after an extensive review it doesn't seem like its oil seeping by the VIN # but coolant. I cleaned it up and after performing a smell test I did not get a hint of oil. Rather sweet smell and after lightly damping a dry paper towel I noticed the orange color.

I placed some High heat RTV along the seam and see if that will stop some of the seepage.
I checked the water pump and it was completely dry. The leak seems to originate from the right side of the engine. Below I have attached an image from above and below. From looking above some of the crud is from a previous low pressure hose leak (power steering). I think I will clean it well and go from there.