XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Headlight lens replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight lens replacement

My passenger side outer headlight lens was smashed the other day. In my search to find a replacement, I find a lot more inner headlight units than outer. I was wondering if there was any difference between the two? Or could I get an inner unit as a replacement for the outer one? Is there a difference with how they fit? Otherwise I thought that they were the same? Then again its not like I know much.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagnut306
My passenger side outer headlight lens was smashed the other day. In my search to find a replacement, I find a lot more inner headlight units than outer. I was wondering if there was any difference between the two? Or could I get an inner unit as a replacement for the outer one? Is there a difference with how they fit? Otherwise I thought that they were the same? Then again its not like I know much.
The inner (high beam) and outer (low/dipped beam) lamp housings and lenses are different. Either will physically snap into the others location but the X300 outer has a city light that the inner does not have and most importantly their lenses and beam patterns are different so practically/functionally they are not interchangeable.

Also keep in mind the lense itself is not serviceable (normally) as it is glued to the reflector body. So one has to replace the entire lamp housing which is the reflector body and lens.

New housings are very expensive unless you get lucky on eBay, but you can if patient.

You can also find used ones at wrecking yards or again eBay for relatively cheap.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-11-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd replace with lenses from the X308 - much more efficient and they look great!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb True, but can be a costly option in time, effort and funding

Originally Posted by andyXJR
I'd replace with lenses from the X308 - much more efficient and they look great!
I agree, but expensive in time and effort. If the OP can just replace the broken lamp, I'd recommend that if money is tight and they are looking for low effort. Used lamp housings are all over eBay and will "snap right in".

I am in the process of converting mine to X308 lamps because one of my lenses separated from the housing (seems to happen a lot on the low/dipped beam on the RH side). But along with buying four X308 lamp housings, or a pair of the complete lamp assemblies, you have to either modify your factory harness to plug into the different bulbs by cutting and adding the X308 bulb connectors, or do like I did and build a conversion harness. In addition the city bulb is inboard on the X308 versus outboard on the X300 and again uses a different bulb holder.

I discovered it was pretty hard to find any used X308 lenses that weren't highly pitted from road debris. It turns out that because they are a smooth and clear design, they quickly show chips where the X300 fluted design tends to hide the damage. So in the end I was lucky to find some that were NOS but slightly imperfect, but affordable. The brand new units are terribly expensive.

I'll also have to put some lens protectors on them as it took me forever to find affordable X308 lenses that weren't highly pock-marked, and after all that effort I don't want them to soon look like they were caught in a sandstorm!

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-14-2016 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (05-15-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a unique problem that maybe someone will know the solution to. My driver's side low beam lens has come loose. It's in great shape and I understand that from reading here that it was originally secured with glue. Has anyone successfully reglued their lens back in place, and if so, what product did you use? Thanks in advance..

VickTrader (03-26-2024)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I also updated mine with X308 Lamps. Keep in mind that the wiring and connectors are different. If you buy X308 lamps also ask for the wirings!!!
They can easily be inflated into the existing wiring-loom.

The look is much better and I also changed the rear lamps!

Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxguy7
I have a unique problem that maybe someone will know the solution to. My driver's side low beam lens has come loose. It's in great shape and I understand that from reading here that it was originally secured with glue. Has anyone successfully reglued their lens back in place, and if so, what product did you use? Thanks in advance..
Before I converted to X308 lights, one of my X300 lenses came loose. Clean it off as good as you can and then re-glue it. I used quick drying marine epoxy from the hardware store. The kind that comes in a little syringe and you have to mix it, While it drys in an hour, I let it go overnight before i drove it. You can do this on the car. If you try to take the light off to do it be VERY careful as the little ball mounts are old and brittle and break easily. It lasted for over a year before i did the conversion.

VickTrader (03-26-2024)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dagny747
If you try to take the light off to do it be VERY careful as the little ball mounts are old and brittle and break easily.
Ditto! If you get them off without breaking, a little lubricant on them before replacing doesn't hurt.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This guy grabbed lenses from a trailer supply store to pick up replacement lenses and glued them in...