XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler

95 Jaguar XJR here. My intercooler by the radiator is making odd whining/chirp noises like it doesn't work when the car is in Auxillary and sometimes when the car is running as well. I do have an bogging idle/rough accel problem when the car is cold and was wondering if this plays any part in it?

Thanks,

Jake

Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Hi Jake, let's be sure we're talking about the same thing. The intercooler on the XJR is that big silver box attached to the intake runners, under the silver & red badged "Supercharged XJR" as shown here:

The intercooler radiator is the smaller black radiator that sits directly in front of the main engine radiator, very similar to an auxiliary oil or transmission cooler.

Both of these are just radiators and have no moving parts other than the coolant, so they shouldn't be able to make any noise per se.

That being said, there is an electric coolant pump mounted down along the suspension cradle on the passenger side, but I'm not sure if it runs if the engine isn't running.

So with that additional information, are you sure this sound is coming from the intercooler system or some other part?

Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Al, I can confirm that the intercooler pump powers on without the engine running. Found out mine wasn't running for awhile only because I was able to monitor my air intake temps and read over 240 degrees once the car was fully warmed up.

One way to confirm if it's the pump is, remove the hose from the "in" outlet of the intake intercooler. The hose that goes from the front of the intercooler in the very front of a/c condenser and radiator to the "big silver box". The inlet port is the one closest to the engine/center of the car. Remove that hose and have it go into a big bucket. Turn the key into the 2nd position for about 5-10 seconds and see if there's anything in the bucket.
Another way to check is to unplug the radiator cooling fans and turn the key onto the 2nd position. As far as I know the only other thing that turns on that would making any noise is the intercooler pump... If it is the pump making noise then the noise would be coming from the alternator area since the pump is located right in front of it.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-27-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, forgot to clarify it is the intercooler pump.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Upgrade to Bosch 0 392 022 010 if you have to replace the pump.

Originally Posted by Jake Weidner
Sorry guys, forgot to clarify it is the intercooler pump.

Well, if your intercooler pump is on the way out, you might was well upgrade it to the improved higher flow Bosch unit than replace it with the OEM Hella.

I plan to upgrade mine at some point "just because"

The 010 version is the latest as I recall. It is not 100% plug-and-play electrically, but is isn't hard to retrofit.

Some reference:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...please-147958/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-85645/