XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Interior Electrical/Electronics issues galore!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Interior Electrical/Electronics issues galore!

Ok, so here is what is going on with my 1997 XJ6L:
1) The radio will stay on even after I have turned off and exited the vehicle – Most of the time.
2) The sunroof does not operate using the switch – All of the time.
3) The side mirrors do not automatically point downwards when going in reverse – All of the time
4) The interior lights will start strobe flashing when a door is opened and stops when the door is closed – Occasionally.
5) The clock is completely black – All of the time.
6) The driver’s seat does not automatically adjust when the key is removed or inserted (the steering wheel moves fine and the seats can be adjusted with the controls just fine.) – All of the time.
7) The horn blows both fuses- All of the time.
8) The foglights do not turn on, the switch lights up but lights do not turn on – All of the time
9) When I press the switch for the odometer to read other information, such as distance left on current fuel, it only goes to the odometer. – All of the time
10) The heater does not blow hot air. – All of the time

I have already tested every fuse in all of the fuse boxes. I do not know how to test the relays or other electrical parts. Do I need to troubleshoot all of these individually or are all of these things somehow related?

Also, Are the headlights supposed to automatically turn off when you leave your car. or do you have to manually turn them off?

Thanks mucho, mates!
Ketch

Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Individually.
#'s 5, 6, and 10 are very common, unrelated X300 faults, not necessarily all electrical in nature, either, btw.
#8; when you switch the fogs on, does it illuminate the bulb-out indicator?
#3 is a dealer-configurable setting; has your car ever done this?
#6; have you programmed the key to a memory setting?

Old 06-06-2016, 05:50 PM

I'm trying to find a way to troubleshoot all of these as I'm not very experienced with this kind of car. . How do you program a Kay to a driver? I do not get a bulb out indicator at all. The inside led does light up, though.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Exclamation Please help us narrow down the issues with some advance research and troubleshooting

Originally Posted by Ketch
I'm trying to find a way to troubleshoot all of these as I'm not very experienced with this kind of car. . How do you program a Kay to a driver? I do not get a bulb out indicator at all. The inside led does light up, though.
Ketch,

Everyone here is more than happy to assist, but it is very difficult for anyone to help when it appears you haven't taken the time to do some of the basic troubleshooting and research to help narrow down the issues and eliminate the most common causes....

It is just overwhelming for everyone else to even know where to begin

Apologies if you think I'm picking on you, but there have been a rash of these types of posts recently and along with being a bit frustrating, it is nigh impossible to troubleshoot the problem with such a shotgun approach.

So, to begin, my suggestion is to first use the powerful forum search feature, and read the various publications at the X300 forum FAQ link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

That being said, here's what I can offer for the specific items, but given there are so many issues it may be that the cause is more complex and the issues interactive:

1) The radio will stay on even after I have turned off and exited the vehicle – Most of the time: This is not normal, and may indicate a stuck or malfunctioning relay or control module. This could be any number of issues unfortunately and may take some moderate electrical troubleshooting. I'd recommend obtaining the Jaguar electrical service manual/guide for your year/model. The OEM Alpine radio is notorious for cold solder joints that make it unpredictable to power on/off and control volume, as well as other controls, but I've never heard of it staying powered on with the ignition off. There are lots of forum posts on OEM radio odd behavior and malfunctions. I'd start there.

2) The sunroof does not operate using the switch – All of the time: This could be any number of issues unfortunately if you've already checked the fuses and relays. There are some TSBs specific to troubleshooting the sunroof and a forum search will turn those up. Same recommendation as #1

3) The side mirrors do not automatically point downwards when going in reverse – All of the time: This function is only available on the right hand side mirror for LHD equipped X300s (I assume the LH mirror on RHD models) and takes a special sequence as I recall of selecting reverse, braking and moving the door mounted mirror switch to the right and pressing the mirror adjustment "down" for the mirror to tilt all the way down automatically while in reverse, then back to its memorized position once back in drive. ....if I recall, or similar. This is detailed in the owners manual set, and likely via a short Google. I found it entertaining, but really isn't much use since it isn't really convenient, so I forget the exact sequence.

4) The interior lights will start strobe flashing when a door is opened and stops when the door is closed – Occasionally: This is a common problem, usually due to loose or corroded wiring in one of the door "puddle lamps". The fix is to rebuild the puddle lamp socket/wiring, or sometimes removing the bulb will fix the infamous "strobe lights". If you search the forum for this issue you will find a lot of helpful and more specific and accurate info to fix the problem. This may be a culprit in some of your other electrical problems.

5) The clock is completely black – All of the time: Normal and common problem, all the clock LCDs go bad. Lots of info in the forum and online via search, including who you can send it to be rebuilt for about $100.

6) The driver’s seat does not automatically adjust when the key is removed or inserted (the steering wheel moves fine and the seats can be adjusted with the controls just fine.) – All of the time: Typical, the drivers seat memory function breaks on most X300s and X308s. There is a lot of info in this and the X308 forum on this topic that a quick search will reveal. No easy or inexpensive fix.

7) The horn blows both fuses- All of the time: No idea, but likely a short in the switch, harness or horns. Edit: I just realized the thread asking about the horn blowing fuses is yours, so that's the best approach to focus the conversation there on this topic. Looks like you are already getting some good insights from other owners, so that's good news.

8) The foglights do not turn on, the switch lights up but lights do not turn on – All of the time: Have you checked that the bulbs aren't burned out, and remember that the headlights have to be on, and the high beams off for the fogs to light. If all of those aren't issues, I'd check relays.

9) When I press the switch for the odometer to read other information, such as distance left on current fuel, it only goes to the odometer. – All of the time: Which switch, the turn signal stalk or the button marked "odometer" to the right of the steering wheel? If you are pressing the button marked "odometer" that is all it does, return the trip computer display to the odometer reading. One presses the turn signal stalk inward to toggle through the different trip computer readings.

10) The heater does not blow hot air. – All of the time: The blower doesn't blow air, or the air that comes out isn't hot? If the blower doesn't blow air at all for AC or heat, then I'd check fuses, relays and of course the blower itself among other issues, see #1. If you mean that the blowing air just isn't hot, this is a common issue that has loads of info via a search of this forum. It can be the valve that redirects hot coolant to the heater pump & core, the heater coolant pump itself having its brushes worn out and/or your heater core is plugged from not being flushed or having two different types of coolant mixed. All of the above need to be checked, and again a quick search of the forum will provide loads of info for you to pursue.

And no, the X300 does not have auto on/off headlights that come on with the ignition or any kind of exterior light sensor unless you are in a market (e.g. Canada) that uses the low beam for daytime running lights (DRL) in which case you have no control of when the low beams are on. With DRLs they come on with the ignition regardless of the headlight switch or outside light level. Since you appear to have a US car, you do not have DRLs, so the short answer is "no".

You can find copies online and links in the FAQ section for the complete owners manual set for your car which will explain all the features such as how to operate the exterior lighting.

Once you've done a little research here, you'll more effectively be able to provide some more detail so we can help with your questions.

Also, please take a minute to consider creating a signature that indicates the make/model of your X300 (e.g. 1996 XJ6, 1995 VDP, 1997 XJR) as that also will help people know how best to diagnose your problems based upon the specific model.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Good luck!

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-07-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was posting it all at once here to see if anyone could determine a common denominator that might be the cause of a majority of the issues.