XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

J-gate help for a newbie please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J-gate help for a newbie please

Hello all

My "new" 1996 vanden plas has started to give me a little problem

I had a new transmision mount put on the other day.

Now I have an issue. I cannot get the gear shift to go into "overdrive" in order for me to get this gear i have to settle the selector between neutral and drive right in the middle of the N and the D

also after it is in drive and i want to go into reverse I have to bring it to park then drop it back into reverse to get it do engage in drive.

there is no tranny light that comes on . It all started after the transmisson mount install.

Could this be the neutral safety switch? I cleaned and replaced the two relays above the j gate ( the two black ones with blue stripes) i have cleaned the connection to the switch to the right of the selector that is the blue plug that goes into the blue and black box on the right of the selector.

My solenoid that unlocks the shifter works (however I can still hear it click when the brakes are applied

ANY IDEAS? Its not really safe for me to drive with the selector just sitting in between the overdrive and the neutral gear without support. In other words it will slip into the neutral position or the lower gear selector.

thanks in advance

Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeaufisk
Hello all

My "new" 1996 vanden plas has started to give me a little problem

I had a new transmision mount put on the other day.

Now I have an issue. I cannot get the gear shift to go into "overdrive" in order for me to get this gear i have to settle the selector between neutral and drive right in the middle of the N and the D

also after it is in drive and i want to go into reverse I have to bring it to park then drop it back into reverse to get it do engage in drive.

there is no tranny light that comes on . It all started after the transmisson mount install.

Could this be the neutral safety switch? I cleaned and replaced the two relays above the j gate ( the two black ones with blue stripes) i have cleaned the connection to the switch to the right of the selector that is the blue plug that goes into the blue and black box on the right of the selector.

My solenoid that unlocks the shifter works (however I can still hear it click when the brakes are applied

ANY IDEAS? Its not really safe for me to drive with the selector just sitting in between the overdrive and the neutral gear without support. In other words it will slip into the neutral position or the lower gear selector.

thanks in advance
Sounds like the shifter cable got tweaked and out of adjustment.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 AM

and that would be the cable under the car next to the neutral safety on the left of the trans on the usa cars? Any instructions on the adjustment

Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Yes, that's the cable. The adjustment is actually in the console next to the shifter. More importantly, why would the cable be out of adjustment after replacing the trans mount? Does the shifter move with the same amount of resistance as before? Maybe crawl under and inspect the cable at the side of the trans.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I have no idea why it would be out of adjustment. I had new balljoints in the front put on and the transmission mount as it was shot. I havent really even driven the car much since i put it directly in the shop when i got it to have those things done

There is no play in the shifter itself it just wont catch in the slots that it is supposed to on the j gate.

I will get the center console apart and see if I have the right tools to adjust the shifter cable.

I dont suppose there are any detailed instructions on this available are there? I read on tightening up the slack on the cable from underneath, but just wondering about the adjustment procedure on the one in the cabin

thanks for helping out. Pretty handy with a wrench but it comes to somethings i just like to make sure i have all of the info before i end up screwing something up! lol

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

No problem. Get the console out and to the right of the shifter are two 7/8" nuts that provide the adjustment. What I usually do is put the shifter in R and make sure the trans is in R as well (I have been in the wrong trans position before!) Loosen the nuts and slowly tighten them and wiggle the shifter back and forth around R to find the middle of the play. What I look for is even play either side of the R. Tighten the nuts to keep the play in the middle. Then just test the movement and make sure the gears engage where they should. Pop the console back in and take it for a ride and make sure it shifts properly.
Do you know the maker of the ball joints? How does it feel? I have to do them on my car but the prices are wild OE and aftermarket and I haven't been able to decide which to go with.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 AM

thank you so much I have the center console out. By chance do you remember what size wrenches to use? I will have to go and buy them is why I ask. (no good friends around here to borrow auto tools)

I use Autohausaz.com I have used them for years on the Merc's. ALways good prices and free ground shipping on orders over 50.00

I copy and pasted the page from autohauz on this reply

I used the first equipment quality brand. So far no issues although they have only been on there a week. I did upper and lowers.

ball joint information for 1996 vanden plas

W0133-1620900

First Equipment Quality
Suspension Ball Joint; Lower
Assembly Reqs (4) CBC1805 bolts per wheel (Lower ball joint to vertical link) * QSJ 221RK "Ball Joint Kit" will not fit XJ40 models (1988->) . When fitting JLM 11860 ball joints to pre 1988 models - check to make sure there are no sleeves or shims left in the control arm from the ball joint being replaced - with a sleeve still in the control arm the 1 pc JLM 11860 will not fit

$123.54

$27.78
$32.54
SALE

W0133-1620900

Lemfoerder
Suspension Ball Joint; Lower
Assembly Reqs (4) CBC1805 bolts per wheel (Lower ball joint to vertical link) * QSJ 221RK "Ball Joint Kit" will not fit XJ40 models (1988->) . When fitting JLM 11860 ball joints to pre 1988 models - check to make sure there are no sleeves or shims left in the control arm from the ball joint being replaced - with a sleeve still in the control arm the 1 pc JLM 11860 will not fit

$123.54

$40.54
$47.48
SALE

W0133-1620900

OE Aftermarket
Suspension Ball Joint; Lemforder; Lower

$123.54

$40.13
$47.00
SALE

W0133-1621083

First Equipment Quality
Suspension Ball Joint; Upper
CAC 9938R - W/ zirk fitting CAC 9938C - W/O zirk fitting

$123.54

$33.98
$39.79
SALE

W0133-1621083

OE Aftermarket
Suspension Ball Joint; Lemfoerder; Upper

$123.54

$66.33
$76.85
SALE

W0133-1628596

Aftermarket
Suspension Ball Joint; Multi Piece Joint; Upper
CAC 9938 AFT/QHZ is a ball joint kit - must be assembled CAC 9938 OEM/LEM is a complete assembly CAC 9938R is a complete assembly - W/ zirk fitting CAC 9938C is a complete assembly - W/O zirk fitting

$123.54

$65.67
$76.08
SALE

Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Default My bad didnt read your post right

just reread your post. Got so excited about your info that i didnt see the 7/8 wrench size

thanks !!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the link. I have seen them as low as $25 a piece from Welsh. I don't know. I do know I'm not getting Jag ones for sure. I gotta convince the wife that the car needs some attention. It's been so trouble free that she forgets that I still need to do some stuff to keep it trouble free!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM

i have the same problem here bro. Never enough money in the household budget for my garage!