XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar Tech posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar Tech posts

I've noticed by looking at past forum posts, that there doesn't seem to be any Jaguar Tech guys answering posts any longer. I'm curious why this is? It would be great to have someone who really works on these cars to help us out.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Like the dealership techs?

I reckon they need a break from time to time. They live and breathe Jaguar repair every day, after all. It's natural that they'd wanna step away from it occassionally. And bashing dealership employees is common on automotive forums. Somebody makes a complaint and then a dozen people pile aboard with disparaging comments. They probably get sick of it.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Brutal (02-07-2013), Norri (02-07-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah that's true Doug, I just see posts in the past where they seem to reply a lot, but I haven't seen any lately. You've been really helpful though, def. appreciate that.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 7,901 Likes on 4,773 Posts

We don't get on here that often because these cars are old technology and most of the regular forum members already know the answers to the most common faults.

Why would a regular Jaguar mechanic need to chime in when the faults are already addressed???????

If anyone reads these posts on a regular basis, then they become pretty much of an expert without actually having to work on cars everyday.

Plus the archives have ALL the answers if you dig deep enough.

Just an observation!!!!!

bob gauff

The following 5 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Brutal (02-07-2013), heima (02-08-2013), JimC64 (02-07-2013), Norri (02-07-2013), plums (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that's the problem with most forums.

Members and guests don't search enough before posting a question.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikesmith2:
JimC64 (02-07-2013), plums (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Doug and motorcarman are pretty much right on the mark.
And i dont get paid for info(once actually someone paypaled me $25, and lic plates, thanks) otherwise spending time here costs me alot of money when i should turn around and work on paying customers, not people that dont pay me. Besides this forum has gotten so big there is just too much to attempt to answer, and once you do, then here comes the attachment to address all questions and concerns from the person you just helped. And yes, many many questions are very redundant and Im NOT even getting into stuff I have to spend time to look up and get irritated when people seem to think I should.....So i spend alot less time around here and try to spend more where it really counts to my wallet....behind me

The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
Dartguy (02-07-2013), JimC64 (02-07-2013), Norri (02-07-2013), plums (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All good answers and all in their own way, true to some extent or another.

As has been said many times though, we love our techs here and appreciate all / any input that is freely given.

Thanks guys

The following users liked this post:
Brad Livengood (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Some of my thoughts. Yes, I get burned out for a little while. You know with the wife, kids, job, all that great stuff. I come and go but what I actually do is look for something I know something about. If I don't know, I don't post.

I actually really like this forum compared to another Jeep forum that has proven to be too big.

I also agree with Brutal that sometimes it is hard to give out advice when you would rather see greenbacks in your wallet. While I was at the Jag dealers, I had no desire to join this forum. Since I am at a Land Rover dealer and not a Jag dealer, I felt the need to stay in tune with the Jaguar brand and what is going on. If I end up back at a Jaguar dealer, I will need to decide what is best for me.

Short and long of it, we still like to help all the fellow Jaguar owners and dreamers, we just cannot do it all the time.

The following 5 users liked this post by BlackX300VDP:
Brutal (02-07-2013), JimC64 (02-07-2013), mikesmith2 (02-07-2013), Norri (02-07-2013), plums (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
, many many questions are very redundant and Im NOT even getting into stuff I have to spend time to look up and get irritated when people seem to think I should.....

Mini-rant

One of my peeves is those who want to be DIY Jag-fixers but seemingly refuse to buy manuals, parts catalogs, wiring diagrams, etc. They seem to depend on others to look up torque specs, fluid capacities, wiring colors, etc.

Grrrrr!

OK, I feel better now !

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Brutal (02-07-2013), plums (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mikesmith2
I think that's the problem with most forums.

Members and guests don't search enough before posting a question.
I have searched this forum for months and got some great answers and found some posts that are similar to my problem, but not 100% the same. My problem isn't not searching, I have searched literally every single page about this make/model. The reason I was asking about Jaguar Tech's is because during my searches, I found the tech's responding often on the older posts, but none recently. Of course, they have no obligation to answer, it was just an observation.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Doug and motorcarman are pretty much right on the mark.
And i dont get paid for info(once actually someone paypaled me $25, and lic plates, thanks) otherwise spending time here costs me alot of money when i should turn around and work on paying customers, not people that dont pay me. Besides this forum has gotten so big there is just too much to attempt to answer, and once you do, then here comes the attachment to address all questions and concerns from the person you just helped. And yes, many many questions are very redundant and Im NOT even getting into stuff I have to spend time to look up and get irritated when people seem to think I should.....So i spend alot less time around here and try to spend more where it really counts to my wallet....behind me
Yes, the world revolves around money. I would gladly pay you and don't expect anything for free. My problem is not with the tech's on here, it's just that no one where I live seems to know what they are talking about regarding Jaguars. My normal mechanic had it for 9 weeks and still didn't get it fixed, and he is a master Mercedes Benz tech. The local Jag dealer said my car is too old for them to fix because they don't have the software, so all I want is to get my car fixed. I thought that's what this forum was for, the help one another.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

So whats the issue since i have a 96 vdp and yes they have the software. Its not much needed but the issue is geting parts from jaguar,not that theyre not avail, just not from jaguar dealer level

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

So whats the issue since i have a 96 vdp and yes they have the software. Its not much needed but the issue is geting parts from jaguar,not that theyre not avail, just not from jaguar dealer level
Thanks Brutal. The Jaguar dealership said they didn't have the software, but maybe they/I misunderstood. I can find the parts online, used of course, but better than nothing. Here's my issue:

I have a USA Jaguar, live in NC. I bought a 1996 XJ6 in Oct of 2012 and it started up and ran great. Within a month, the engine wouldn't turn over, no clicking - just nothing happened when I turned the key forward, minus the dash lights and the engine fan turning on, I believe the radio turned on too. The headlights, wiper, starter, tail lights, interior lights, trunk light, license plate light and prob some other things didn't work either. So mechanic 'tested' lots of things, whatever that means.

I really don't think they knew how to work on a Jag at all, but the main mechanic was a master Mercedes Benz tech, so I thought he would be great. Anyway, the starter was good - so then he put a new Neutral Safety Switch on - no luck. He then said he could bypass the Neutral Safety Switch and put a push button starter on.. but the car could start in any gear..which was ok with me. Once they did that, the car would start, but still no headlights, wiper, etc. So then, he said it was the Body Processor Unit. Tried two of those, including one that was taken off of a working 96 XJ6 from a friend just to see if it worked in mine and that didn't change anything, same thing happened. They supposedly tested the grounds and connections leading to the BPU and were ok, but I don't really know that they did that. At this point, after 9 weeks of having my car, they decided they didn't know what else to do, so I took it home this week on Tuesday.

That evening, I was messing around with my car and decided to take the positive battery cable off for a min or two and try to start it - it started right up and everything worked properly - lights and everything. I can drive the car as long as I want and after turning it off.. can restart it within a couple of min. with no problem. After a couple of min., if I try to restart it, the same thing happens, no headlights, won't start, etc. If I remove the positive battery cable and put it back on.. everything works properly again until I turn it off again. Battery is brand new as of Oct. 2012.

Last edited by Brad Livengood; 02-07-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: inserted missing bracket on quote tag
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,168 Likes on 1,612 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug
Mini-rant

One of my peeves is those who want to be DIY Jag-fixers but seemingly refuse to buy manuals, parts catalogs, wiring diagrams, etc. They seem to depend on others to look up torque specs, fluid capacities, wiring colors, etc.

Grrrrr!

OK, I feel better now !

Cheers
DD
It get's even more silly when you consider that the free download links are sprinkled all over the place. If they have what it takes to get onto JF, they have what it takes to download and read all that reference material.

The root cause is that some people refuse to read even when the material is right in front of them.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brad Livengood
I have searched this forum for months and got some great answers and found some posts that are similar to my problem, but not 100% the same. My problem isn't not searching, I have searched literally every single page about this make/model.
Exact answers are not as important as the extensibility of the information that you have found. From that foundation you can extrapolate such that you are guided to the factors that fit your exact problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Exact answers are not as important as the extensibility of the information that you have found. From that foundation you can extrapolate such that you are guided to the factors that fit your exact problem.
My point is, don't say that I haven't searched and used resources available to me. Considering I have no automotive experience, I think I've done a pretty good job of reading and understanding what could be the problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 6,266 Likes on 5,463 Posts

My point is, don't say that I haven't searched and used resources available to me.
I don't think anyone did.
You asked where the techs went and the discussion evolved from there.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

My point is, don't say that I haven't searched and used resources available to me. Considering I have no automotive experience, I think I've done a pretty good job of reading and understanding what could be the problem.
I believe that your posts have been entirely sincere.

However, the point is that knowledge and facts are gathered and then extended by thinking about how they might apply to the problem at hand.

In your story about the MB tech, he installed a new neutral start switch and it did not solve the problem. After that, a bypass was tried. That did not work either. It could have been easily determined whether the switch was the problem with either a dvm or a jumper wire before undertaking replacement. But this was obviously not done.

Clearly, not much actual thinking was going on as much as taking stabs in the dark. That cost you nine weeks and untold dollars.

The best mechanics and diy people have a good grasp of basic fundamental theory as it applies to automotive systems. They then apply this knowledge in the context of the particular vehicle and problem. They look at symptoms and do tests to guide them to a reasonable conclusion.

The best thing for someone who wants to understand automotive systems can do is to pick up a text book from the library and dive in. They are not particularly heavy reading for the truly motivated. Only after that will the manuals and more complex posts start to make sense and become useful.

BTW, also consider that while you may not consider that the exact problem and exact answer have ever appeared on JF, to the techs viewing the question, it might have been something they have answered 16 times in the last few months. Different readers, different viewpoints.

Last edited by plums; 02-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Hang on for a second Plums. Let me get my dictionary.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
Hang on for a second Plums. Let me get my dictionary.
Je pense qu'il dit <<Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose>> - mais en quelle langue je ne sais pas........

Quick Reply: Jaguar Tech posts