XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar xjr6 no start mystery -- help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jaguar xjr6 no start mystery -- help please!

Hi there,

can someone help me please, I have a 1997 Jaguar XJR6 and have the following issue that I can't seem to resolve

1) car started misfiring and then was very hard to start
2) car was stored for a while and on return the car turned over on the key but wouldn't start
3) I replaced the crank position sensor
4) now the car will not turn over on the key
5) on ignition switch on all lights come on and then go out including engine management light which indicates immobiliser is on
6) on ignition alone rev counter goes to 250 RpM without the engine actually turning over !
7) ECU inspected all pins and connectors in perfect condition

evidently I can't get the car started , could this be the the Body control module causing all of this ? , can you help please I am pulling out my hair !

Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Scott,

Sorry there have been no replies yet, but did you have any luck tracking down the problem? There are many threads about no start conditions. There are also many causes, so the best thing to do is begin a systematic approach in checking all that can be checked, BEFORE you start spending money on parts.

The Body Processor can cause problems, but first you will want to check for battery condition, connections along the path from the trunk, then fuel supply, then spark. It would also help greatly to have any stored engine codes read with a scan tool. Search around here for lots of useful advice. With persistance, the problems will be solved.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott 49
Hi there,

can someone help me please, I have a 1997 Jaguar XJR6 and have the following issue that I can't seem to resolve
Hi Scott 49,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'm very sorry to hear you are having difficulty starting your Jag. The thread at the link below, compiled by member aholbro1, has links to lots of threads about no-start conditions that may help you track down your problem. Start with post #1 in the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngines-120221/

Like SleekJag12, I agree that a very common cause of no start is a weak battery. If the voltage dips much below 11V while cranking, the Engine Control Module will not trigger the ignition to fire. Since your engine will no longer crank, the battery would be my first suspect. If you attempt to jump start the car with another vehicle, let the engine of the other vehicle run for at least 5 minutes or more with the jumper/booster cables connected. For some reason our Jags need to have their own batteries charged up at least a little before the engine will crank.

Regarding the misfire you were experiencing before, how long has it been since the car had a good tune-up (plugs, fuel & air filter, etc.?). As SleekJag12 mentioned, having the computer scanned for stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes will often narrow down your investigation. For example, if you have a code for a misfire in one cylinder, you can swap the ignition coil for that cylinder with another, then check to see if the misfire trouble code moves with the coil. If it does, you've found your problem.

I'll look forward to what others have to say. In the meantime, we're a friendly bunch around here, so please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and so we can learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (12-08-2014)