XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Key won't turn off alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key won't turn off alarm

This just gets better and better...

My fob is inop. Fair enough, it hapens.
But.... the key will lock all doors and SOMETIMES set alarm. (Well the indicators flash..I guess that means it is set?)
Then SOMETIMES it will operate central locking and kill alarm, other times it will just open drivers door and the alarm goes off...

Does this mean faulty key?
Faulty system?
Do I need a can of petrol and a match...?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in a similar bind. I have no Fob. I locked the Car last night and when I tried to unlock it, nothing happened. The Alarm is activated (as denoted by the flashing red light on the lock button the center consul).

I left the car last night since I didn't want to torque everyone off by setting off the alarm so late, and when I went back today, I set it off when I opened the truck. I had a locksmith come out, and pop the lock (setting the alarm off again of course). But, as you can imagine, I was unable to start the car.

Using the Key to deactivate the alarm is a no go. The key will no longer lock or unlock the doors.

I'm wondering if I can try to track down a new Fob ($$$) and then, once programmed, disarm the security system. But that's going to take some time and money. I've read several of the posts on the topic so far on the forum, but I haven't seen anything that can help me disarm the alarm manually (other than using the key, which, as stated is a no-go).

Maybe there's something in the Door-lock mechanism that is failing? Any thoughts out there?

-HC

EDIT: I guess the Key Fob wasn't as expensive as I thought. I just picked one up. So hopefully that will give me access to the car again, but I'd still like to know what's going on here.

Last edited by hailcesarz; 10-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I've never experienced this issue but it sounds like an issue with the security ecu located in the trunk behind the filler neck?
Could be that it's starting to become faulty or a bad connection with one of the harnesses. ( think there's 4 connectors that plug into the unit)

Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

There are indeed small micro switches on the door locks that sometimes cause problems, either because of corrosion, poor connections etc.

So, although your key will unlock the doors, if a switch is faulty, the alarm reads this and so, might not disable the alarm, or will activate it unnecessarily.

The swicth on the boot lid is a likely candidate due to water ingress. Easy enough to see by removing the boot lid liner.

A fob won't necessarily solve the problem as this is only activating the locking system by another means, whereas the underlying cause to the problem is still there.

The following users liked this post:
hailcesarz (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 PM

I don't think it's the Micro switch in the trunk, since (in my case) the key fails to unlock or lock the doors. I thought about Key transponder failure, but that seems somewhat unlikely since both the Black Key and the Valet key both quit working at once.

-HC

Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM

RESOLVED!

On my end anyhow. There is a linkage between the arm that actuates the security system and the wheel that the key turns. In my case, that linkage has failed, sot he key turn isn't actuating the security system. I can manually pull or push the arm, and it works fine. So it's just a matter of repairing or replacing that linkage.

-Alex

Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by hailcesarz
RESOLVED!

On my end anyhow. There is a linkage between the arm that actuates the security system and the wheel that the key turns. In my case, that linkage has failed, sot he key turn isn't actuating the security system. I can manually pull or push the arm, and it works fine. So it's just a matter of repairing or replacing that linkage.

-Alex

Where was this linkage? Curious....

hailcesarz (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Where was this linkage? Curious....

The Key turns a plastic wheel, the linkage connects the wheel to an arm which activates/deactivates the lock.

It's was all just inside the door under the key-hole.

-HC

The following 2 users liked this post by hailcesarz:
al_roethlisberger (11-04-2014), littlelic69 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I am new to the forum and have a 97 XJ6L I went to put in a new battery and all of the sudden the alarm started going off. I only have 1 key for this car and no remote/FOB. So what do I need to do to get the alarm to shut off and allow me to start the car? I have look here as well as a few other sites but all sequences suggested are not working. I do not see a valet or bypass button/switch. So any suggestions on how to shut the alarm off?

Kishme7 (04-26-2023)
Old 03-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...I love my Jag but these tend to be tempermental problem children, I have to laugh as I can't tell you how many times I wanted to do the Petrol & Match plan also. I suggest you find yourself a Jaguar mechanic that just works on Jags. I was taking it to someone who claimed to know what they were doing and believe me it was a on going nightmare. For anyone that lives in the Houston, Texas are, Mike @ Champions Jaguar is the BOMB, located on Cutten Rd. he only works on Jags and have many years of experience and is reasonable as far as that goes. Parts for those things are expensive but he know everything there is to know about those cars...he is very busy for a reason he knows what he is doing...GOOD LUCK!!

Old 04-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!! Same problem alarm won't stop and car won't start

I just bought this car and it was sitting for awhile so battery died and now when Ihook it up the alarm just goes off and won't stop the key won't unlock the door and it won't start the car. I don't know what to do??!!!! I just used all my money to buy the damn car

Old 04-26-2023, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 734 Posts

Never install the battery in backwards , positive post goes in positive direction of car travel

Never over tighten the positive battery terminal , breaks curved nut underneith

Ask me how I know

There is 1 fuse # 4 in the trunk for the SLCM that may have been pulled for storage See page 23

X300 1996 LWB.pdf (jagrepair.com)

Aside from that possibility there is a reset of the security lock control module back to zero state

In removing both battery cables and touching them together you drain the items that are directly wired to the battery

Place a towel over the battery post and have the cables touching for a long time like overnight with jumper cables clamping then together

Last edited by Parker 7; 04-27-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

So you have a spot of stumble under your bonnet

Soon you will have the prettiest.Jaguar on thwe whole block , what's her name ?

To get a overview of what your security system should do with chirps and such see video in the security section

Basically the way the security system works is when you remove the Key it will make a linier key switch to start a security system sequence to end in the security system going to sleep

So this not making of the switch from pin 4 to 5 will cause the security system not going to sleep and will drain the battery overnight in what is called a parasitic drain

To know that your switch is making your steering column will move on key removal

This linier switch is common to stick and can be a mess if spraying with oil so caution there

The security system must satisfy agreements like the doors and trunk closed switches and seat and steering column positioned to exit position

You can turn the large rotary knob on the steering column from auto to off to remove this section of steering column agreements

Somewhere along the way one of the security agreements may have hung up putting the logic steps out so the security looks you out

Aside from the security system there is a inertia / crash switsh that will prevent you from starting with a reset button forward of the car's front right door hinge by your right ankle

This switch will trip for no reason and prevent car starting , there is a work around

This is a pic of someones right hand steering model and the switch will always be on the cars right

The fuel pump will run for 3 seconds only with key rotation so this can fool you in what you expect , this is a safety design for crash also

Do you get starter rotation ?

Ask questions and someone will help you carry on forward

You can modify the original Jaguar / Alpine stereo head to have a input jack for any input device , this is different then a low sound quality cassette tape device

And the original speakers will most likely have dry rot of the speaker surrounds ( so you may hear a rattle ) that can be replaced ( real cheap ) keeping the original speakers

The inferior silvering of the X300 headlights can be swapped out with the much better X308 version with the V 8 engine

You can look at one at a salvage yard and see the difference

Don't remove yours yet to clean but doesn't do much good , there is a orientation for each lense assembly that you can get lost on to install correctly

The chrome side mirrors can be swapped out easily

The clear coat on the wheels are aged and won't clean up to a point no mater how mush polishing you do

The clear coat can be removed with paint stripper back to bare metal , washes off with garden hose , try with your spare wheel

Last edited by Parker 7; 04-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.
SleekJag12 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Your repair manuals can be found in this link and other sources

You have the AJ16 inline 6 engine ( starting on page 51 of the 801s Doc ) which is the final refinement of the AJ6 engine with earlier versions used in the Jaguar E Type of the 60s

Repair Manual - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by Parker 7; 04-27-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

The only way to reset the sounding alarm is to put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON (position 2, when the dash lights all come on). That will deactivate the alarm system.

If the battery cable is removed during alarm state, the car will remember that it is in alarm state and keep sounding again when the battery is reconnected. Its for theft prevention. At least in the US the car does not have a transponder key, so that simplifies the electronic security.

Then, you can get to all the other needs to get her running again. Begin with a good fresh battery.

Parker 7 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

With the Key not unlocking the door to get in ?

She is probably pulling the # 4 fuse in the trunk to the security lock control module to silence the alarm

She needs to respond back when possible

The fuse must be reinstalled for the car to be able to start as the SLCM must be powered as it provides a enable to the body processor module for starter rotation

Last edited by Parker 7; 04-28-2023 at 10:09 AM.