XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

lower Part of the front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default lower Part of the front Bumper

This morning whilst parking the car at me local Tim Hortons I drove in a tad to much and have broken the lower part of the front bumper, the bit that houses to to frog lights. I need to get it off is it screwed on or held in place with plastic snaps. I'm also assuming that the fog light will have to come out as well.

Thanks for any input with this..

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Simprof
This morning whilst parking the car at me local Tim Hortons I drove in a tad to much and have broken the lower part of the front bumper, the bit that houses to to frog lights. I need to get it off is it screwed on or held in place with plastic snaps. I'm also assuming that the fog light will have to come out as well.

Thanks for any input with this..
The bumper is all one piece. It's held on by two large bolts accessed from below. They're not covered, you should find them easily.

IIRC, there are three steps to removing the bumper:

1) Remove undertray.
2) Unclip wiring harnesses tucked up inside the right and left hand sides of the bumper (one on each side).
3) Remove above-mentioned bolts.

Then the bumper should slide off.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oubadah
The bumper is all one piece. It's held on by two large bolts accessed from below. They're not covered, you should find them easily.

IIRC, there are three steps to removing the bumper:

1) Remove undertray.
2) Unclip wiring harnesses tucked up inside the right and left hand sides of the bumper (one on each side).
3) Remove above-mentioned bolts.

Then the bumper should slide off.
agree! or maybe if you want a detailed one you can try this steps:

1) Park the car or truck in a well-lit work area. Raise the hood of the car and examine the plastic protective coverings over the radiator.

2) Work from the center of the bumper and work your way out to the two end fasteners. Look for screws and body clips that are securing the bumper in place. Loosen and remove the screws with a screwdriver or socket, all around the bumper, from top middle to bottom middle.

3) Release the bumper body panels from the rest of the body panels of the front fender and around the headlamps. Most body parts fit together and/or overlap to position the pieces together.

4) Have an assistant hold one side of the bumper while you manipulate the other. The clips are held together with gravity or by clipping from the side. Clips that are together with gravity can be pulled up for separation.

5) Pull the bumper away from the car after all the screws and clips have been released. If you find that one section of the bumper does not want to come apart, it usually means that two body panels are still locked together or you have missed one of the screws that secure the bumper to the car.

i hope my little advice will help!

kind regards,

james
================================

Last edited by plums; 09-22-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you both..

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Be careful when handling the bumper. It's heavy, awkward and pretty floppy being plastic. If it twists too much you get stress cracking in it's paint.

Originally Posted by jpelington
agree! or maybe if you want a detailed one you can try this steps:

1) Park the car or truck in a well-lit work area. Raise the hood of the car and examine the plastic protective coverings over the radiator.

2) Work from the center of the bumper and work your way out to the two end fasteners. Look for screws and body clips that are securing the bumper in place. Loosen and remove the screws with a screwdriver or socket, all around the bumper, from top middle to bottom middle.

3) Release the bumper body panels from the rest of the body panels of the front fender and around the headlamps. Most body parts fit together and/or overlap to position the pieces together.

4) Have an assistant hold one side of the bumper while you manipulate the other. The clips are held together with gravity or by clipping from the side. Clips that are together with gravity can be pulled up for separation.

5) Pull the bumper away from the car after all the screws and clips have been released. If you find that one section of the bumper does not want to come apart, it usually means that two body panels are still locked together or you have missed one of the screws that secure the bumper to the car.

i hope my little advice will help!

kind regards,

james
================================

I cant figure out if this guy is legit, or some really advanced spambot. See the inconspicuous link?

Last edited by plums; 09-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.