XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Some new guy questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some new guy questions....

Ok, just bought a 95 XJ6 and may I say, I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!
Best vehicle I've ever owned for sure.
There are just a few issues she has, and I just wanted to ensure I have a grip on what the solutions may be.

First, the fuel gauge is super strange. If I have more that 1/2 tank of fuel, the gauge reads empty, until I get to 1/2 tank at which time it reads normally. After reading the issues posted here it seems that a new sending unit is in order. It's seems like an easy fix, although I haven't fully read a how-to do it.

Second, my oil gauge reads maxed out at all times. The previous owner purchased the wrong sensor. After doing a bit of research I found that there are two different sensors for this model, and I verified that he did in fact get the wrong sensor. I just need to find the placement now.

Third, the sunroof is inop. I'm guessing I need the small clips to re-attach the sliding mechanism to the actual sun-roof.

Finally, and this one is the most annoying as I have no fix yet, I can't seem to get the drivers memory to set, and take. I follow the directions, get the confirmation indicator, but when I use the remote it goes to a different setting. Any help here?

Thanks for any help or advice!
J

Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hello, congrats , this is one of the most reliable vehicles may by Jaguar . I can't comment on all the things you asked but as for the fuel related issue, I believe it's from a bad fuel sender . Can you compare its values with trip computer readings ? In such cases, I always rely on the trip computer , don't quote me it works for me lol

Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newb here too, but the seat is a common problem. I believe there is module in the seat frame itself that fails. I found that info here on the forums.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The oil pressure sending sensor is next to the oil filter (kind of crowded down there). When i replaced mine i put a t fitting so that i can use a mechanical unit so that i could get the exact pressure reading.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
The oil pressure sending sensor is next to the oil filter (kind of crowded down there). When i replaced mine i put a t fitting so that i can use a mechanical unit so that i could get the exact pressure reading.
Safe to assume it's far easier to reach from the bottom?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I changed mine from the bottom, front wheels on ramps. Toughest part was "making" a wrench to fit it.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I bought mine seven years ago with 65,000 miles on it. Now it has 110,000 miles and I still like driving it very much. And my wife really likes the way it drives. So much so that she wanted her own Jag. So we bought an XK8 conv with 37,000 miles last summer for her to use as a daily driver. We both love both cars for different reasons.

First off the fuel guage problem is the exact problem I am having. I just received a replacement from Ken Karr at British Motors Ltd in Houston. If you can live with it by using the trip computer for fuel used I'll tell you what problems and technique I encounter in a couple of days. Send me a PM to remind me. The reason the guage reacts the way it does is that it when the guage gets infinite resistance at the sender it reads zero. So the sender wiper has either got some crude under it or a has pulled away from the wiper strip when the float is near the top of the tank. After fuel is used it starts making contact again when the tank is around half full. Mine does exactly the same thing. Right now I just use the fuel used from the trip computer untill I use fuel down to around five gallons left. Then I'll replace the sender and let you know what is envloved.

As far as the memory seat function I just forgot about it. I don't think anyone has good luck with that darn thing.

EZDriver 1995 XJ6 2000 XK8