XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Need expert advice. Stumped. Alarm door switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Need expert advice. Stumped. Alarm door switch?

Hello.

First off, I would like to tell you that I have been searching and reading threads on my problem for three days now. Please forgive me if I missed anything. That "Gentlemen start your engines - not" thread had many posts, and I have been reading them.

Second, I am sorry for the long post. I want to give as detailed of description of the issue and list all of the things I have tried / ruled out.

This is regarding my 1996 Vanden Plas.

Here is the problem: The car won't start. I THINK it is a sensor or switch for the alarm in the driver's door lock / key cylinder.

We don't have remote fobs programmed for the car, and up to today we only had the valet key. My wife took the car to work. She drove a short distance to get coffee. When she returned 5 minutes later she unlocked the door with the valet key as we always do, and the alarm did not chirp "off" as it always has. The dash lights are on, but the car won't start.

Here is what I have done and ruled out so far:

1) The park "P" illuminates RED as it should.
2) I do not hear the shifter lockout clicking as it should when I press the brake pedal.
3) I cannot turn the steering wheel or move the shifter.
4) I put in a new fully charged battery.
5) There is not a check engine light.
6) I scanned the car with my Auto XRAY 6000. There are no trouble codes or pending codes.
7) I bought new keys today, and tried them. I was not able to open the trunk without these new keys.
8) I also have new key fob remotes and I tried going through the programming process, and it won't work, as obviously the alarm is not chirping on or off.

The door will lock and unlock with the key, but there are no on or off chirps from the alarm.

Two weeks ago the lock started sticking and I almost could not get the key out of the door lock cylinder, so I lubed it. Have tried lubing it several times. I have no idea if this is related.

I believe that the problem is a switch / sensor in the drivers door lock mechanism that tells the alarm system to be on or off. I think that the car won't start due to that. This is only a guess.

What do you think?

I am at my wit's end.

I really need the car back on the road and I cannot afford to take it to a shop at this time.

I appreciate your help.

Stewart

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 12-02-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 PM

Okay.

I believe I have found the problem: The "Body Control Module", as the turn signals and wipers do not work. Also, the headlights do not work, just the small bulb in the outer bulbs.

I also took out the plastic torx screw on the shifter surround and put it in neutral. The car won't start in neutral either.

So, I am purchasing the part today and I will let you know.

Stewart

p.s. Please forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I am certain it is, buy I could not find one.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

That sounds like a reasonable approach, I hope it works.

The following users liked this post:
Platinum XJR (12-06-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know if a Body Processor Module from the UK will fit my car?

The listing states:

"XJ6 XJ12 XJR 1994-1997 (VIN Range 720125 through to 812255)"

My car is 769761.

I have no idea if there is a difference of UK vs USA module.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

BPM (body processor module) is a coded part,

Last edited by cool; 12-04-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cool
BPM (body processor module) is a coded part,
Hi. Just thanked you in the other thread. Hopefully I can get the car running by swapping out the BCM. If not, and it needs programming, I am stuck.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 2,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR
Hi. Just thanked you in the other thread. Hopefully I can get the car running by swapping out the BCM. If not, and it needs programming, I am stuck.
If the part numbers match on the BCM, you'll be fine. They are programmed before being put into the car, I'm not sure if they are field programmable ( I doubt it)

I had a problem with my VDP where the alarm would randomly go off, and that was the door lock actuator and the microswitches inside sticking. The door would unlock, but the microswitch didn't trip so the security system though the door was still lock and set off the alarm. Pressing unlock with the fob would shut it off. I never had a no start condition though.

Only cure was a new actuator.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Default IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I had a problem with my VDP where the alarm would randomly go off, and that was the door lock actuator and the microswitches inside sticking. The door would unlock, but the microswitch didn't trip so the security system though the door was still lock and set off the alarm. Pressing unlock with the fob would shut it off. I never had a no start condition though.

Only cure was a new actuator.
That is what I was thinking. Something to do with something not communicating with the alarm / BCM.

So, yesterday, I went and started checking fuses, which I should have already done.

I pulled and checked these fuses:

LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX

F4 SECURITY SYSTEM

F5 BODY PROCESSOR MODULE (BCM)

ENGINE BAY - RIGHT HAND SIDE:

F12 ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. STARTER RELAY.

All three of these fuses all looked fine, so I put them back.

I wish I had tried to start the car after checking each fuse, because after I checked and reinstalled the fuses, THE CAR STARTED and THE ALARM FUNCTIONED NORMALLY.

I then programmed the keyless entry remote that I just purchased and it is now programmed.

I have no idea if the problem was related to using the key (in this case the valet key) to open the door all of the time.

So now the car functions. I have the correct keys and remote.

The only other thing I noticed is that the interior trunk switch had never worked and now it does. Obviously needed that that switch to work to program the remote.

I will keep the BCM I just ordered. I also ordered a new trunk switch assembly, which apparently I do not need either. Oh well. She's alive and that is all that matters.

My wife is very happy. I bought this car for myself so I didn't have to drive that XJR all of the time. Plus it is soooooooooooooooo comfy. She didn't want me to buy it. She said that we didn't need ANOTHER car, which we probably didn't. One day she had to drive it, as I borrowed her Denali. After that drive, she officially claimed the car as hers. The Vanden Plas is now "HER" car. She finally get's it. She finally understands what these Jaguar's are all about: They are great cars and a pleasure to drive.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 12-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Great to hear it is sorted, enjoy!