XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Guy

Hello,well I went from lurking and using the archives for help to joining.

I was looking for a red XJR and called on four in south Florida and never received a reply from any of them,I even watch them drop the price over the course of a few months of no sales still no returned calls.

So one pops up this time it is the BRG 1997 XJ6 cheap $800 called the owner and was told he changed the battery then it would not start,okay I can deal with that and told him I was on my way to pick it up,it was 8 pm and freezing out by Fla standards he tells me he is busy and maybe in a couple of days would be better.

I told him I am coming with the tow truck and cash and if he wants to sell the car it would be best to be there.Never in my life have I talked to so many sellers that came up with so many excuses not to sell a listed car.

Anyways,I picked it up and in the light of the next day yes it would not run,so I came here and searched no start situations,then I discovered somebody have poked around into everything for a long time trying to figure out what the problem was,I did the same thing for the entire day.

Day two I got up and said,well I am going to go to the basics and forget about the fancy relays etc,and pulled a fuel sample.

1 gallon of gas had 40% separation of something in the bottom some kind of milky substance.

As per this site,located the fuel pump relay in the trunk,pulled the cover off of the relay and inserted a toothpick to trigger the pump manually,drained all of the gas out,added 5 gallons of fresh gas.... still no start.

Had spark so on to the injectors,pulled the fuel rail and the injectors out,they had water in them and were stuck on bench test.

Junk yard visit,6 injectors,fuel rail,2 headlight assemblies,starter just in case,alternator (which was doa anyways).

Get back,pop the injectors in and hit the key and she fired right up and purred like a rough kitten.

So now it runs from point A to Point B with no alternator charging,I ordered a regulator and brush kit and wasted the money on that.

If you take the list of common things that go wrong on the x300 as posted on this site,I printed and have started my check list because everything on that list is wrong with this car including the paint.

It does not bother me because I can fix it all at once and be done with it or at the very least leave a little room for something else to break.

But when it is all said and done with I should have less then $2500 into a car with 115k on it and hopefully somewhat dependable.Not counting my labor.

Sorry for the long post and thank you everybody for all the help so far to help me get up to speed again with these cars,it is very much appreciated.

When I started with Jags many years ago it was a learning experience with no internet help,it was a constant figuring everything out and this makes it so much easier

Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Hey, New Guy. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Paint and a hail storm is what did mine in after 300,000 miles. Good luck with it and I hope you will keep coming back as you get the snigglies out.

BTW, check the drain tube leading out of the gas filler rubber boot. They become clogged and fill the filler well with water leading to your kind of problem.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome aboard, NewGuy. Sounds like you are well on your way. Keep us posted how you get on.