Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key Fob Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Key Fob Stopped Working

Hi Guys

My Key fob battery ran flat and when I got to my car I had to gain access by using the blade key via the passengers door. I then had to insert the key in the key slot in the center console. Once I got home I changed the battery, but now the fob does nothing. I have tried my other fob, but it too will no longer work. So my question/s are:

1. Does the fob need to be re-synced with the car (2007 XK) and if so how?
2. Because they no longer work does this mean I have to fork out $$$ to Jaguar to get them fixed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by GGG; 09-10-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

[Deleted]

Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by meyow96
Hi Guys

My Key fob battery ran flat and when I got to my car I had to gain access by using the blade key via the passengers door. I then had to insert the key in the key slot in the center console. Once I got home I changed the battery, but now the fob does nothing. I have tried my other fob, but it too will no longer work. So my question/s are:

2. Because they no longer work does this mean I have to fork out $$$ to Jaguar to get them fixed?

Cheers.
It shouldn't require reprogramming. If you have a manual, check page 43. On your nav screen, check the security settings Veh. Settings>Security

Make sure your settings didn't turn off for some reason. I only say this because changing a battery won't require a reset and certainly shouldn't impact the other key.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Hi Guys

Cheers.
It shouldn't require reprogramming. If you have a manual, check page 43. On your nav screen, check the security settings Veh. Settings>Security

Make sure your settings didn't turn off for some reason. I only say this because changing a battery won't require a reset and certainly shouldn't impact the other key.

The timing is suspect but your remote Keyless Entry module would be the second option I think but you should be getting a code if the key can't communicate with the remote (U021400)

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

You may have put the battery in upside down. Check that. The + positive side goes down, the - negative side faces the prongs on the circuit board. With the battery out, you should see a big + etched in the remote to show what side goes down. No programming needed. I replace my battery all the time. Not sure if it's because I'm constantly inadvertently pressing the buttons when it's in my pocket or what...

Old 06-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys

Cheers.
Hey meyow96, did you ever get that key fob situation sorted out? I've got a fob that is no longer working even after I replaced the battery. I see some available online for less than the dealership cost but seems like I still need to go there to get it programmed. One thing I did here is that the keys are one-time programmable only, or programmable to only one vehicle in its lifetime.

Cheers,

Dirty

Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtyodwyer
Hey meyow96, did you ever get that key fob situation sorted out? I've got a fob that is no longer working even after I replaced the battery. I see some available online for less than the dealership cost but seems like I still need to go there to get it programmed. One thing I did here is that the keys are one-time programmable only, or programmable to only one vehicle in its lifetime.

Cheers,

Dirty
Yes, be very careful with used Smartkeys. They will not re-program for a different car with normal dealer equipment. There are some suppliers that guarantee the key has been reactivated. These or new ones are the only ones that will work.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Possible solution to key fob not working.

I had this happen to me, while away on vacation of course! Turns out it is very easy to bend the tiny tab on the battery receptacle of the circuit board. It must be exactly vertical so that the tiny tang on top can fit in the tiny slot in the top cover and touch the top section of the battery. It is also very easy to break, which is of course exactly what I did. After pricing a new fob and programming, I decided I had nothing to lose and got out the soldering iron and magnifying glass. After some very shaky soldering, the tab was back on, probably stronger than ever and the fob is still going strong.
I also had a problem with fobs eating batteries apparently because I was keeping it too close to the garage and car. I started keeping mine in a cookie tin and no longer have that issue either.

The following 2 users liked this post by luv2fly:
cadvision (11-23-2016), dirtyodwyer (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 PM

Hey luv2fly, thanks for that info about the bent tab. That seems to be exactly what happened to my fob when I replaced the battery. I had ordered a fob off eBay for $169. And when i compared the guts to mine, i noticed that the tab that holds the battery in contact with the circuit board had indeed been bent. I fixed it and saw that my fob now worked great. But I had already scheduled an appointment with an Automotive locksmith to help with a new key and programming so I decided I didn't want to be a jerk and kept my appointment with the locksmith guy. I also needed to have a spare key anyways since I bought my 2007 XK second hand and it had no spare key.

At first the locksmith tech couldn't program the new (or rebuilt) key to work as an additional key for my car. The owner then brought out his older equipment (a computer and tool that connects to the car computer) and he managed to make the new spare key work with my car. Only problem seems to be that now the passenger window doesn't go up all the way without me holding the up lever on the driver side door. The driver side window goes up with a simple tap up. Can't remember if the passenger side went up this same way or not. Any thoughts on that guys?

Here's some pricing on what the dealership in LA was gonna charge me for a new key, etc:
C2P17155 (key fob) - $384.65
C2Z3903 (spare door key) - $293.93
Programming of the key fob - $145

I really got to hand it to the guys at JP Automotive Locksmith in Glendale, CA. They gave me a spare key fob and programmed it for $250 out the door. They also said they're gonna get me a blank spare door key and then laser cut it to match the factory one I still have with my old fob. So now I'll have a full backup spare fob and key at a reasonable price. Total dealership cost to have just ONE key would have been $897. For $250 I've got two.

Thanks again for the help on this forum, I wouldn't have ever figured out the fob issue without it. I even though it may have been the car battery being low that caused the smart key failure.

Cheers,

Dirty

Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

You may just need to reprogram your Passenger Window.
Hold the switch up until five seconds past when it IS full up. Then hold the switch down until five seconds past when it is full down.

The following users liked this post:
dirtyodwyer (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Thanks Cee Jay, I'll try that fix for the windows.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

A huge thank you for this, I have literally spent hours looking for a method to reprogram one of my fobs as I was sure the battery was fine (after replacing 2) I had come to the conclusion that I would have to replace so imagine my joy at finding this post and subsequently finding this to be my problem also.

Cheers

Douglas Goodman

Old 09-20-2019, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W

The timing is suspect but your remote Keyless Entry module would be the second option I think but you should be getting a code if the key can't communicate with the remote (U021400)
Thanks I try. That nothing to lose cheers

Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

If your CR2032 Smartkey battery has been replaced at least once, it's possible that the prongs have been spread a little bit and now aren't making good contact with the battery. Instead of bending those prongs and risk breaking them (which means that it'll cost you big bucks for a new Smartkey plus programming), try a CR2035 replacement battery. It's identical to the original CR2032, except for the thickness. They're both 3V and 20mm in diameter, while the CR2032 is 3.2mm thick and the CR2035 is 3.5mm thick. That additional 0.3mm of thicknesses might be all you need to keep it working reliably.

https://www.ausbatteries.com/cr2032-cr2035-difference

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
chrisf (11-01-2019), peterv8 (09-21-2019), pwpacp (09-20-2019)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:20 PM
Thumbs up PET801

I have just lifted my little pin in the fob.. Now its working.. Thank you chaps

Originally Posted by stuart s
if your cr2032 smartkey battery has been replaced at least once, it's possible that the prongs have been spread a little bit and now aren't making good contact with the battery. Instead of bending those prongs and risk breaking them (which means that it'll cost you big bucks for a new smartkey plus programming), try a cr2035 replacement battery. It's identical to the original cr2032, except for the thickness. They're both 3v and 20mm in diameter, while the cr2032 is 3.2mm thick and the cr2035 is 3.5mm thick. That additional 0.3mm of thicknesses might be all you need to keep it working reliably.

https://www.ausbatteries.com/cr2032-cr2035-difference

Old 09-08-2022, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Update to my Post #14, above.

CR2035 batteries are no longer available. If your CR2032 battery is not making good contact, make a little shim out of a small piece of aluminum foil to put under the battery. Don't try to bend the prongs - they're brittle and easily broken. If you break a prong you'll probably need to buy a new Smartkey.

A used Jaguar X150 Smartkey can be reprogrammed to work with another Jaguar X150. Before you buy a used Smartkey, here's what you need to know. Read this entire 2016 thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ion%85-171095/
In particular, see my Post #31, in which I explained that I bought a used OEM Jaguar Smartkey on Ebay and had it reprogrammed by my dealer. Just make sure that you get a written guarantee from the seller that the used Smartkey has been cleared and can be reprogrammed. I saved hundreds of dollars over the cost of a brand new OEM Jaguar Smartkey.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yup broke mine.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Bummer.