XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No sound from radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound from radio

97 XJR with the premium sound package with amp in the trunk by the fuel tank.

Have power going to the head unit. Turns on but no sound.

Does anyone know where the fuse to the amp is located or what else the problem may be?

Cheers

Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Power amplifier is fuse F1 (25 amp) in the Luggage Compartment fuse box.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
fmfz12007 (11-02-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a feeling that if the aerial doesn't go up you'll also get no sound

c

fmfz12007 (11-02-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 96' same issue

Hi , I blew the radio fuse replacing my power antenna and have the same problem. I got on the forum thinking the radio security lock had set, may just the fuse as Graham suggested . I didn't notice any other fuse blown in the boot/trunk, when you say storage compartment do you mean the boot? While I'm here can anyone tell me how to enter the code on the radio , I have the original card from Jaguar.
This is a bit of a project car . I've replaced the power steering pressure hose , front and rear calipers , rotors , pads and numerous cosmetic issues with parts from a donor car. I'm uling the sun roof from the donor to put in my xjr currently.
This is my second x300 , the xj6 is purring along with 210,000 miles with no current problemstate . I blew the fuse on it when I replaced it' s
antenna and then locked myself out of the boot when I shut the lid not knowing my key /lock sucked. With a little graphite I managed to get back in .
Any help would be appreciated
Regards
fmfz12007@gmail.com
UofL Cards Fan

Old 11-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

US- spec cars did not have radio codes. You must have some other problem.
Pertinent fuses for head and amp are in the boot fuse box. F1 for the amp (25A, IIRC?) and a 5A for the head unit in position F10, I think, but a little foggy on the position. (the lad's 96 was due for state inspection and the radio is being hissy - stuck "on" and at relatively high volume on a particular FM station, no buttons responsive. It is for him, ok, but thought I'd be thoughtful to the inspector and pulled the 5A head unit fuse)
I'm not sure where the aerial fuse resides.

fmfz12007 (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Hi aholbro1, great name lol
Both fuses are good , checked all of the boxes.
Antenna is operating properly , the jag has a funny coaxial plug unavailable around here . It does plug directly into the antenna but not tightly. The local auto sound shop said to just splice it with crimp connectors
Still no sound.
The car has a security code card in the owners manual. Does anyone have the procedure to enter it ?
ON... OFF do you hold any other buttons down while entering?
If this isn't it I'll try checking for power at the amp, I hate pulling these old plugs off because the become brittle.
Any feedback is appreciated

Last edited by fmfz12007; 11-02-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 PM

Ok, I've solved my problem, it might be yours? ?
Are you sure your volume know works ?
That's what's wrong with mine , lost a bunch of time screwing with the stupid thing lol
A local shop said he could probably fix it for me . Best of luck

Old 11-05-2016, 04:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
US- spec cars did not have radio codes. ......
NO - this is now the seventh report I've read on the forum from a US member with a coded radio. Very rare and no logical reason for having one fitted to a US spec vehicle but it does happen.

Originally Posted by fmfz12007
..... The car has a security code card in the owners manual. Does anyone have the procedure to enter it ? .....

The procedure is taken from the UK and European spec Vehicle Document Set.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 11-05-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I have had my 95 XJ6 for 12 years. Had the radio in to a speciality shop for repairs twice. It still doesn't work. It will come on for a couple of minutes then quit.

From everything I have read in the past this radio is worthless. If I am wrong I would like to hear from someone that has this vintage of Alpine radio that works goods.

I just don't have a radio or disk player either.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 PM

I'd be happy to send you the picture of the code card . It's doubled sided taped into the owners manual.
I don't think it would be there if it wasn't original to the car .These radios have lots of issues , the screens fail , the volume knob fails and they drop channels to speakers.
With mine I thought the dam thing had disconnected itself. Just the stupid knob that can be repaired.
Thanks for the input, on to the next project.
Thanks

Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
NO - this is now the seventh report I've read on the forum from a US member with a coded radio. Very rare and no logical reason for having one fitted to a US spec vehicle but it does happen.
Graham
Make it 6, Graham, as FMFZ is reporting the volume knob to be his problem. I do wonder how many of the 6 were also falsely blamed on (likely non-existant) security codes as well?

Btw, FMFZ, my on/off/volume knob is keen to jump off the radio from time to time, but thus far, never caused a problem actuating the volume....once I find it and restore it to its proper location. Thanks, I'll keep a sharp eye out for that in future.

EZ, I've had better luck than you, though only 6 yrs in. Mine has played rather flawlessly except for the occasional overnight at airport parking which seems to disagree with it. Then, it will be "as-left" upon restart, normally at too-low volume and no buttons responsive. 3-4 days of daily driving has always cured it. My std operation was to play phone media through a cassette tape adapter. Several months ago, the tape player started auto-reversing constantly and when I pressed "eject" it refused to disgorge the adapter. After several iterations, it finally issued forth and I've not tried it anymore. Remembering to ALWAYS turn radio power off with the button prior to shutdown seems to have alleviated the radio's tendency to take sabbatical if the car is parked-up for several days, though in fairness, this seems to for some reason be almost entirely limited to airport parking, which I've not encountered much of, lately. CD used to work fine but of late (not often attempted, mind you) it presents "no disc" for each position even so discs are loaded.
The lad's 96...a different animal: Has been stuck "on" on a particular FM station and at volume much too loud for my taste for several months, now, despite being driven daily. For him, it is ok. Pulled the fuse for state inspection and left it out several days, but upon replacement, right back to as before. In his case, the tape-adapter will work maybe 50% of the time, but still no buttons are responsive, so no volume adjustment except thru source device (phone) and you may or may not get the adapter to eject upon shutdown. But then, the 95 has thus far been a MUCH BETTER, more reliable car than the 96.
The OTHER 96, the $200 SpruceBruce, radio works 4.0 as far as all buttons and tape, even though it is rarely ever driven, and then only about the yard and shop. Haven't tried the CD in it, though I do know the sub is shot. (both 96's have the Premium Sound, 95 doesn't) This radio does have a knackered display, however. I have one more in a box that I grabbed from the local pick-n-pull. Haven't tried it yet - too busy mending mechanical failures in my fleet to attend to the entertainment suite.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Hi everyone , I currently have 3 X300 's . All the volume knobs pop off , two of three have or had issues with the volume control . The display on the 95 xj6 was it's last straw and it got pulled for a aftermarket crap radio . I do have a code card , not really unusual for cars in the US to have them , maybe Jaguar as you've said.
One last issue with the XJR to fix before I have it repainted , it bogs down when punched on . I've see there are posts concering the issue . I'll read up when time permits .
Regards
FMFZ1