XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

no start XJR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default no start XJR

Hello to all
I have an 95 XJR that I have been dealing with an no start issue for 4 years, I have replaced all the usale suspects CPS,twice, cam posision sensor, swapped out coils with my 96VDP, got the right fuel pressure, the injectores are firering, the coils are firering, I swapped out the ecu from a wrecking yard $1,000, the tps is good, cut open the wireing harness, looking for problems, checked all the temp sensores and the air mass sensor, swapped out the ( all ) the relays relating to the engine, inspected and cleaned all the problem connectors and grounds, it has compression in all cylinders, the timing ring on the pully seams quite attached, it cranks fine but will not even try to start, once in a while it will puff, there seams to be very little vacume while cranking, if you hold your hand over the intake while cranking it has very weak suck and and an ocasional blow, and there is now vacume to open the compressor bypass.
So after reading someones post about setting the correrct cam posion sensor timing, saying that at tdc the #4 intake lobe should be pointing strait up, upon cheaking mine is horizonal 90 degress off or rotate the crank 180 degrees and the lobe is horizonal the other direction( not good ) apon cheaking my VDP it is as has been writen straight up.
So here is the big qusion has anybody had there chains jump that far, and why, is it an interferance engine, can I just index the cams and replace the top tensioner ( its still the original ) are the cams indexed like the old XK engines, ( I actully had that happen on an old XJ6 72 that the veneir teeth of the timing sproket wore and spun enough to kill the engine, ) so does the AJ16 motor use the same setup ? I cannot find any shots or drawings,
Has anybody had this issue, had the cams timing off by 90 degrees and why? please advise

Darryl