XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

NOS install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default NOS install

Ready to wire up, bought the car off a customer with a blown headgasket. Had the head milled and bowl blended, new chains and guides. Waiting for alcohol injection kit to come in, burning through the remaining 1.5 year old gasoline before I start playing with the NOS/alcohol. Have an AJ33 blower that I need to fab up to replace the stock M90.

Attached Thumbnails NOS install-solenoid.jpg   NOS install-nos.jpg   NOS install-0106121129.jpg   NOS install-head.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Sounds like fun.

Should be a blast, more info would be good.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Still , be please careful

Old 01-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Sorry, a little backstory behind the car. It was owned by an elderly customer of ours who has parkinson's disease. He had been bringing the car to us for a while with re-occuring various electrical problems and suspension issues. He had the "C" scheduled maintenance and had recently had me replace all four shocks with OEM sport Bilsteins, springs and rebuild the trans mount. The cooling pack quit and the car overheated (blowing the headgasket and lower spider hose). I had the service writer call him with an offer and he took it. I was going to part the car out and scrap what was left. He showed up with the title and was visibly very sad, told me it was his "dream car" but he just couldn't put any more money into it knowing he didn't have much time left to even be able to drive it. When he signed the title and handed it to me he said he figured I was going to scrap it. Seeing how truly sad he was about the whole situation I promised him the car would not be scrapped and it would be restored back to and even better than it had ever been. It is still currently in the middle of the restoration process and will be absolutely gorgeous when it's done. I have intentions of bringing it to him to see the end results. I'm very much looking forward to it.

The following users liked this post:
1951sms (10-09-2019)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Nursing her back to health, getting ready to make her beautiful again.

Attached Thumbnails NOS install-xjr.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

hurry up

Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna admit, when I first heard NOS was involved, I had some very bad mental images floating.

But hearing the backstory to this whole thing is just.....

Guy, you are a saint for going for going through with this and I hope like hell things work out for you and the old man.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. The NOS shot is only jetted to 35hp so it shouldn't be anything it can't handle. I have the jet mounted just berfore the heat exchanger portion of the intercooler so I will get the dual effect of substantially cooling off the boost charge and the NOS itself. The alcohol/methanol injection system will add to the safety of the NOS and offer additional cooling properties also. I have a Range Rover intercooler pump to install yet also which is probably 30% bigger than stock (at least). I will also be fitting a pillar pod and was actually considering monitoring both bank EGTs to get a really good picture of what exactly it's doing. Right now with just the head work mods the fuel trims are switching perfectly, the ECM had zero problems adapting to the increased airflow. I've been watching everything while driving it with my handheld since it's be re-assembled and all the numbers are spot on (O2 voltages, ECT, short term fuel switching, etc...). I already eliminated the secondary air and next to go is the upper and central catalysts (we don't have emissions testing here). Actually I was going to run a complete new exhaust from the head to the tailpipes.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RealmCenter
Thanks for the encouragement. The NOS shot is only jetted to 35hp so it shouldn't be anything it can't handle. I have the jet mounted just berfore the heat exchanger portion of the intercooler so I will get the dual effect of substantially cooling off the boost charge and the NOS itself. The alcohol/methanol injection system will add to the safety of the NOS and offer additional cooling properties also. I have a Range Rover intercooler pump to install yet also which is probably 30% bigger than stock (at least). I will also be fitting a pillar pod and was actually considering monitoring both bank EGTs to get a really good picture of what exactly it's doing. Right now with just the head work mods the fuel trims are switching perfectly, the ECM had zero problems adapting to the increased airflow. I've been watching everything while driving it with my handheld since it's be re-assembled and all the numbers are spot on (O2 voltages, ECT, short term fuel switching, etc...). I already eliminated the secondary air and next to go is the upper and central catalysts (we don't have emissions testing here). Actually I was going to run a complete new exhaust from the head to the tailpipes.
If it's any comfort, Jaguar had developed a super XJR called the Stealth Tornado, which had 2 intercoolers and 2 turbos (Big ones). Considering that, it's plausible the standard XJR engine could handle this.

And no, they never imported Stealth Tornados to the US.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM

What I would love to get my hands on is all the parts to convert it over to a Getrag 5-speed. U.S. never got that configuration X306

Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RealmCenter
What I would love to get my hands on is all the parts to convert it over to a Getrag 5-speed. U.S. never got that configuration X306
Whoa, you plan to put a manual tranny in there?

Yeah, every XJ in the US was automatic only. There was a custom cut out for the frame to weld on but that was for previous models.

There's a mild chance that you could find someone in the UK that'd be willing to ship that section to the US, but it'd be expensive and hell.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Great project and a nice story to go with it. Can you tell us what Range Rover the IC pump is from?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM

The 5-speed swap will only happen if I can find someone with a complete setup willing to sell all the parts. They did in fact make an X306 with that configuation just not for the U.S. market. The intercooler pump I have is from a 07 Range Sport supercharged, however I'm pretty sure that pump is the same as 06 to 09 Range full sized supercharged and 06 Range Sport supercharged to 09. Any supercharged Range Rover with the Jaguar powertrain up to the 5.0 litre current spec engine will be the same. I haven't looked at the newest pump yet to see how it compares to the previous gen pumps.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If xjr6.com ever comes back online, you could keep an eye out for manual transmission etc - there is also a user XJRengineer who I believe can reprogamme ECU.
Thanks for the info on the Range Rover.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but I recognise a few other members' nicknames from XJR6.com and Jag-Lovers.

The NOS project sounds very interesting. As Straigth6DOHC says I can reprogramme XJR6 ECUs, but you probably don't need it for your conversion, assuming your NOS controller can maintain a sesnible air:fuel ratio while injecting the nitrous oxide. The increased engine load brought about by the NO injection usually requires the ignition timing to be retarded, but the knock control system that I developed in the std EMS will take care of any ignition retard that the engine will require, up to a limit of 15deg, which should be more than enough provided you run it on at least 91 pump octane fuel (95RON).

I have installed an Eaton M112 SC onto my own AJ16SC engine. It is quite an involved project. I have all the drawings and am currently making another set of parts for another owner. However, I'm not sure how the detail dsign of the M112 may have changed over the years. You say that the unit that you have came from an AJ133 engine so it may be different to the one that I have from an early AJ26 engine.

The AJ16 engine is more than capable of handling the extra 35bhp from the NOx kit that you are proposing. My M112 equiped AJ16 engine is probably close to 400bhp.

I have also fitted a complete fabricated exhaust system to my car, so I can also offer you either exhaust manifold flanges or dxf files from which you can CNC profile the flanges. I can also offer design details for primary pipe lengths and diamters based on 1D computer simulation of the gas exhange process through the engine. My exhaust system design does away with the down pipe catalysts and just retains the undefloor catalysts. This is more than adequate for passing a UK MoT ( equivalent of US inspection and maintenence test, I think). My system has twin pipes throughout so produces a much deeper, but not louder, exhaust note with all the std silencers retained. I prefer this exhaust note.

At least 2 other XJR6 owners have done DIY manual to auto conversions in the US and I know of at least 3 more conversions inthe UK. Provided that you can source all the parts from a UK breakers yard it is a fairly straightforward conversion, since manual XJR6 were built in production. In fact only 268 were ever made. I maintain a register of all these cars for the JEC. The duel mass flywheel and clutch cover are unique the the XJR6 (X306) but all the DIY conversions make do with the corresponding parts from the naturally aspirated model (X304) with no reported problems.

Good luck with your projects, and I hope that I may be of some assitance.

The following 3 users liked this post by XJRengineer:
Brutal (01-16-2012), JimC64 (01-14-2012), Newby (05-22-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM

XJRengineer,
Thanks for the info and I am absolutely interested in ECM tuning. Do your tunings involve the replacement of the PROM chips like we used to do when there was the EGR modification recall or is it more involved? I actually have two perfect condition M112s to work with (I have one offered up for sale to the forum members). I am plotting out the rest fab up options for the conversion, 1st and foremost, does the M90 nose section directly swap? I have one noisy M90 and one good one on route to me. 2nd, I have two elbows/wastegates, one S-Type R and one post 03 XKR (X103), the XK elbow is substantially longer so I was going to use the S-Type, cut/welded and wastegate port relocated to accomidate my stock inlet plate. As far as mounting, I was simply going to line up the M90 and M112, cut the bosses off the M90 and the M112 and weld the M90 ones to the M112. As far as the exhaust goes, I have no NOx testing here so the sky is the limit. I was going to eliminate all the catalysts, I wanted to fab up some nice exhaust manifolds and custom bend the rest. As far as the 5-speed conversion goes, I would love to do it but it just seems highly unlikely (locating all parts, cost of shipping, etc...).

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

I replace the EPROMs in order to reprogramme the ECU. In fact, I've spent this afternoon creating all the hexadecimal data that corresponds to a new ignition map.

I'm afraid I don't know if you can fit an M90 nose section onto an M112 body. I replaced the complete unit.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Interesting thread ... subscribed.

With respect to the twin plate clutch, the twin plate clutch from a 87-93 Toyota Supra Turbo model may fit, or at least be a good basis for a manual swap as the transmission was also a 5 speed Getrag of the same era. There are also upgraded versions available from TRD and various JDM suppliers.

Look to Australia for adaptor kits because the Supra Getrag is very popular there for a number of swaps.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Is there any possibly way you could send pictures of the install? I was afraid using the complete unit would put the nose of it substantially past the rest of the ancilliary drive components.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM

XJRengineer,
The more I think about it the more I wonder now if it was your car I read about in a magazine one of our customers brought in (he brought in several of the same publisher) that was distributed in the U.K. I can't recall the name of the magazine but it was all Jaguar related info, had individual sections for X200, X400, X300, X308, Series III, X27, so on and so forth. One of the issues has someone touching on performance builds of the AJ16. There was a underhood shot of a Flamenco or Carnival red X306 with a trick looking exhaust manifold(s) talking about a M112 modification. Sound familiar?

Quick Reply: NOS install