XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Odometer Digit Failure in cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Odometer Digit Failure in cluster

Hi,

Some of you may have seen the issues I had with my XJ12 some time ago with water getting into the car.

Anyway, I've been working on it over the last few weeks and the car is pretty dry now just working on getting rid of the elements of damp smell and saving up to get the leather replaced that's developed black damp spots. Thankfully just the centre console and the front passenger seat.

The basis of this post of the odometer. I guess it's due to damp getting into the small display but the digits have failed on the display and I'm only seeing bits of the digits or sometimes nothing at all. Everything else in the cluster works fine.

Has anyone ever tried replacing one of these LCD/LED displays? I haven't taken the instrument binnacle out yet but there are plenty of second hand binnacles on EBay for not much money.

Would it be possible to de-solder the display from one and transfer it to the other. I've done lots of small electrical work over the years, I think my only slight concern is if it's a copper ribbon cable like the clock display.

I'm maybe making the situation worse than I think and the display may be simply plugged into the main board and not soldered at all. Wishful thinking! lol

I know this would be an MOT failure in the UK but thankfully we don't have anything like that in the Channel Islands so no rush to sort it.

I'm assuming the LCD display unit itself is standard across all the cars (also seems to be the same in the XJ40), I'm not playing with the electronics side at all, just wishing to fix the display piece.

Did hunt for pictures of an instrument binnacle taken apart but no luck so far.

Thanks