XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

ol' chestnut...best tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts
Default ol' chestnut...best tyres?

possibly a bad choice of threads, because my XJR runs X308 18" Asteroids, nonetheless..

I think my current Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres are excellent (245/45xR18) but always looking for something better.

any suggestions?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

The norwegian national automobile association do an independent test every year. Here is the result for 2017. All factors like noise ,braking and handling in the wet etc are considered;

Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I've currently got 4 complete sets of Michelin Premier's running in the fleet. Have had Primacy fitted before, they were quite good, Premier is better.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ

I think my current Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres are excellent (245/45xR18) but always looking for something better.

Better, how? What are your priorities?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Hi Al,
As you say, an old chestnut, and in the interests of a quiet life, I will not reopen the great tyre size debate!
I run Dunlop Sportmaxx on my X300 XJR, in the correct size ( sorry, couldnt help myself!) and am on my third set, from which you will have deduced, I like them. They score A on the European scale for wet weather grip, which always strikes me as the key criterion when selecting tyres, and are reasonably priced.
Interestingly, they are available as standard and "MO" spec, which is the Mercedes Benz approval mark. The naked eye cannot detect a difference, but to my surprise, and joy, the MO spec sets have lasted much longer, all other things being more or less equal. 20000 miles looks like being easily achievable, which strikes me as reasonable.
I am not sure whether there is a Jaguar approved symbol on tyres, but there are ones for Audi and BMW, although it seems to be a state secret what, if any, differences there may be from standard.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Better, how? What are your priorities?

Cheers
DD

Hi doug,

wet and dry grip, precise handling.
the Potenzas are awesome in these criteria. The tread pattern is close to a track-day or targa tyre, big tread blocks on the shoulders.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by countyjag
Hi Al,
As you say, an old chestnut, and in the interests of a quiet life, I will not reopen the great tyre size debate!
I run Dunlop Sportmaxx on my X300 XJR, in the correct size ( sorry, couldnt help myself!) and am on my third set, from which you will have deduced, I like them. They score A on the European scale for wet weather grip, which always strikes me as the key criterion when selecting tyres, and are reasonably priced.
Interestingly, they are available as standard and "MO" spec, which is the Mercedes Benz approval mark. The naked eye cannot detect a difference, but to my surprise, and joy, the MO spec sets have lasted much longer, all other things being more or less equal. 20000 miles looks like being easily achievable, which strikes me as reasonable.
I am not sure whether there is a Jaguar approved symbol on tyres, but there are ones for Audi and BMW, although it seems to be a state secret what, if any, differences there may be from standard.
thanks, CountyJag
I like the dig about correct tyre size - 18" Asteroids are correct on the X308 which has essentially the same suspension as the X300 (but you knew that!).
Anyway, the 245/45 still has a reasonable-height sidewall, isn't a super-low profile, and that suits NZ roads. Our roads aren't motorway-smooth, and really low profile tyres get big sidewall holes in potholes.
The Potenza Bridgestones have fantastic grip and comfortable ride - not harsh. I cannot break traction even on a wet roundabout, despite 300bhp - they grip like crazy.

Attached Thumbnails ol' chestnut...best tyres?-img_1609.jpg   ol' chestnut...best tyres?-img_2500.jpg  

Last edited by AL NZ; 04-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

For once, I think the regulators have it about right. In Europe we have ratings for wet grip, noise, and economy.
( the Dunlop sportmaxx are competitive on each rating) . I am not too fussed about dry grip, as it doesn't strike me as wise to be driving these cars on public roads in a manner that will cause loss of traction in the dry. Of course, that could be a sign of old age, but even when I drove this car new, grip on the dry was never an issue, although it was Pirelli pzero assymetricos in those days which only lasted for five minutes but had bags of grip!
I had an X308 XJR too, also on pirellis, but it had a more sophisticated suspension arrangement. CATS? Not as involving a car as the X300 in my view.