XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Radio code recovery for older models NLA from dealers?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Radio code recovery for older models NLA from dealers?

I know the best place to recover a radio code is the dealer, and the service is free. In making a visit today, both the service adviser and I were surprised to find that the system screen that vehicle data popped up fine by VIN search, but radio code is no longer available. The service adviser said he was accessing Jaguar's on-line global data, so if it does not show up it probably means that data support for older Jaguars has ceased. I was planning to keep the stock radio, but if there is no other way of recovering the code, the only option is to replace it with another stock radio that still works or with a modern head unit.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Obviously inconvenient but it sounds plausible that Jaguar would eventually stop supporting such data bases. Most likely a decision based (at least partially) on how often the information was accessed.

Perhaps a call to Jaguar Customer Assistance might reveal alternatives?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Found this advice on Coventry West.
Jaguar Radio Codes | Coventry West
I shall conduct a carpet sweep to look for marks on the hood or somewhere on the body that might have been left by former technicians who might have worked on the car.

Also tumbled over the following sites while surfing the Internet:
Car Radio Codes
http://radio-codes.webs.com/
suggesting it possible to find the radio codes by emailing the radio model, serial numbers, etc. to <restoredclassic@aol.com> and then paying a fee on-line. Hope it is not a scam.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,047 Likes on 2,028 Posts

I've used this site for an X Type code, and after payment I had a code in a few min and it worked.
JAGUAR CAR RADIO CODES - Online Service

The following users liked this post:
Qvhk (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

That is great! At least someone has used similar services and it worked! I shall remove the radio to find out the serial number and try out this site.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

I finally managed to remove the radio from the console today, with two special findings:
(1) the serial numbers of the unit, which are otherwise needed for online radio code recovery, are illegible due to corrosion of the unit metal case.

(2) fortunately, someone has written the radio code together with the former vehicle registration number on both sides of the case cover.

This XJR had been maintained at the dealer during her first 17 years. (2) probably suggested that the radio had been serviced or repaired more than once before.

I put the radio back and tried to enter the code to test if it still works, but the radio failed to power on. It turned on OK before, and kept asking for "code" in the display. I shall see what I may have disturbed during the process.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,047 Likes on 2,028 Posts

If the frequencies will work, radios for North America didn't have a code. I don't know if your range of frequencies will match though, I know the Japan market radios are different.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Here is an update. Was trying to get the radio back to work. It turned on fine last time but refused to power on again.

It turned out that the removal and re-attachment of the radio a couple of times with the key in the "on" position had resulted in blowing a fuse. The same fuse happened to also govern the opening mechanism of the trunk - both the trunk-opening button on the dash and on the trunk lid failed at the same time. The relevant fuse (15A) is inside the fuse box in the trunk. I successfully opened the trunk by inserting and turning the car key on the mechanical lock on the lid; then found and replaced the fuse, and the radio and trunk-open buttons have all returned to normal.