XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear End Leak? I Just Bought it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Unhappy Rear End Leak? I Just Bought it!

Hello, everyone,

So I just bought this car a couple weeks ago, waiting on the insurance slip to come in the mail so I can get the eTest and safety certificate, and start enjoying it.

The car was advertised as safetied and etested, and felt nice on the test drives. I got under the car and checked it out as best I could given the low height of the car and the hilly driveway, floors were great and exhaust sounded fine so I, admittedly, didn't do as much inspecting had it of been a car off the road for many years sitting outside on the grass.

Of course I took it around the block a few times and in and out of the garage to wash/wax it but til I get it on the road it's been pretty much been a driveway ornament for the neighbours to admire lol.

I went to put some fuel in it today which took me to the nearest gas bar only 4-5 mins away. When I got back and parked it in the garage I heard the usual heat sound from the exhaust which is normal but also heard something dripping onto the exhaust. Checked it out and saw a lot of what appears to grease/oil of some sort on the bottom of the the mufflers before the axle.

I got he camera out and tried to get it into the where it appears to be coming from, it looks like it's right where the driveshaft meets the rear-end. I could smell it from the exhaust. Looks like it's been happening for a while before I had it. I'm worried if it's the rear end fluid that it's going to fail before I even get it to the garage for a safety, but then again, he drove the car to my place following me for 90 minutes when I bought it, surely he was confident all was well?

I never smelled it before probably because the car was bever actually 'warm' enough to do it as my trips around the block were short. Please see attached pictures.

Thanks for any help, don't want big surprise when I bring to garage thurs or friday.

Attached Thumbnails Rear End Leak? I Just Bought it!-dscn1375.jpg   Rear End Leak? I Just Bought it!-dscn1376.jpg   Rear End Leak? I Just Bought it!-dscn1377.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM

After some looking around on the Web and this forum, it looks like the car is due for a pinion seal and some 80/90 gear lube...? if so, is this a decent manufacturer to deal with at the following link? price seems kind of cheap, would like to get a good brand name or OEM if one's available.
1995 Jaguar XJR Differential Pinion Seal in Canada - Canada 1995 Jaguar XJR Differential Pinion Seal

Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Mmmmmm, Pinion seals can leak/weep on these.

The "output shaft" seals not so much since they shifted the brakes to outboard.

My first/best suggestion would be to get some diff oil, about 2ltrs from memory, and drain and refill the diff with FRESH oil. That simple inexpensive task has stopped many a diff leak in most of the Jags I have owned, even the current X300.

My reasoning is that diff oil, like power steer fluid, NEVER gets any attention until it leaks, so maintenence is a none event mostly.

Since its an "R" you have a rear sway bar, so access to the fill plug will test your patience a tad, but time is what, nothing really.

Also dont forget that diff oil has a smell all its own, just like gasoline, and a small drop will stink the place out.

Also get some degreaser and give that rear end a GOOD wash down and the note what is going on after the fresh oil is in there.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM

My first/best suggestion would be to get some diff oil, about 2ltrs from memory, and drain and refill the diff with FRESH oil. That simple inexpensive task has stopped many a diff leak in most of the Jags I have owned, even the current X300.
I will do that for sure in the next day or two. What is your recommendation for differential oil? I have Chevron 80/90 available. I see other posts of people using the Ford 75/140

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

I run 80W/90 Synthetic gear oil in all of mine, except the MK10 which has 85W/140 mineral. I reckon that the ??/140 is tooooooo heavy for that diff, but that is my opinion.

A synthetic oil is not really required in my opinion at the moment, but it is your car.

Once the leak, or lack of, is sorted, I would certainly be using Synthetic in that diff.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-15-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Check the threads on clogged differential breathers forcing the lubricant out past the seals.