XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear Passenger door locked shut

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 12:47 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Rear Passenger door locked shut

Hi all, i'm hoping one of the veterans can give me a quick easy "Just do this" response to my current predicament.
I was out vacuuming my 95 Base X300 today, all was going well until I got to the rear passenger side seat and noticed the door was locked. I tried unlocking it with the Key fob, with the dash button and with the interior door handle but nothing seemed to work. All the other door locks are working fine with this one exception.
I then tried to remove the upper door trim to see if I could gain access to the button, Although I wasn't able to remove it completely, I was able to gain access but physically pulling the button up did nothing as it just sprung back down, the door remaining locked. I don't recommend others try this as I think I may have damaged the upper trim where it meets the window and will have to repair it when I get the door open. As I very, rarely use the back seats the lock could have been not functioning for ages with out me realising.
I am now at a bit of a loss as too 1/why it isn't working and 2/how Im going to get the door open to fix it.
All and any help appreciated

Old 09-12-2020, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 977 Likes on 663 Posts

You've got the classic stuck latch pivots problem! Pulling up on the button peg does not produce enough force from the springs to overcome the tight/stuck latch pivots. It is a more of a problem when the door is still closed! You might have a broken electric actuator too.

It is hard to say what it might take to get the door open. I know there is very little space and access is difficult. If you have to cut the panel off to get access you should be able to replace it from a breaker.

Once the door is open, removal and cleaning of the latch pivots will restore its function, assuming the actuator is all right. A broken actuator brings up another set of troubles.

I'm thinking that your car and some ROW cars have flush locking pegs when locked? In the USA we are able to pull up on the peg when locked. It rises above the door panel when locked.

Have you also got the "cycling" locks when you try to unlock all four doors with the fob, with the rear locked door staying locked?

Sorry, this isn't quick or easy.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:45 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Would a “slim Jim” approach unlock the door?

A slim Jim would be pulling directly at the mechanism that locks and unlocks the door. Instead of relying on the relative Rube-Goldberg locking mechanism, full of dainty plastic parts and wobbly thin metal rods, you’d be rigging right at the heart of the lock?

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (09-13-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:30 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for the Replies Guys, I had to Google Rube-Goldberg locking mechanism TBH. I certainly like your suggestion Vee, it's a matter of access however and how much damage Id have to do to get some, to try your idea? I do have cycling locks but as mentioned all are working fine except this one stubborn door which is refusing to unlock.
The locking Pegs are flush with the trim here in Aust, this is why I had to try and remove the upper trim to gain access to the locking Peg but as Sleek mentioned this does not produce enough force on the mechanism to unlock it
I personally can't see any easy option forward and hope its not going to come down to cutting the door open with an angle grinder.
I did contact a local Jag Mechanic here in Melbourne vie email (we are in lockdown) who replied that they had, had some success with this problem? Also offered to have a look once they had opened up. This gives me some hope but also makes my wallet a little nervous, If and when they are able to help I will update the thread.

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (09-17-2020)