XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Passenger side Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Passenger side Door Lock Problem

A few months ago I purchased a 1995 xjs 4.0 liter 2 + 2 convertible. A few weeks ago the passenger side door lock started acting up. When I unlocked the car from the outside with the key, the passenger side door did not unlock for my passenger. I was able to open the door from the inside using the inside door handle. Today I attempted to open the door and it would no longer open using either inside or outside handle. If I turn the key in the passenger side door lock I hear the loud click as if the door is unlocking however neither inside nor outside handle will open the door. I tried to lock/unlock using the inside paddle and inside door handle for a few cycles. This yielded no results. Is this likely an electrical problem or a mechanical linkage problem inside the door? Any help and or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

This sounds like a mechanical linkage problem inside the door. It is just about impossible to remove the door card to get into the door cavity with the door shut. Assuming a few more tries does nothing to help, this is how to get the door open (at least on pre facelifts):
  • remove the rear armrest trim (if you need help with this, post again)
  • This gives access to the B pillar interior from the rear side and the sharp end of the two torx screws that hold the door lock loop onto the front side of the pillar
  • Using a pair of pliers, or somehow or other, screw these out (ie turn them CLOCKWISE from your viewpoint) so the loop comes loose
  • The door will now swing open
  • Now remove the door card and see what has come loose
Greg
Further thought: On a convertible, top down, it may repeat may, be possible to remove the seat with the door closed. If so, this would allow sufficient access to remove the door card and actuate the lock mechanism directly.

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-02-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know if this will work. Using the driver side door flip switch (chrome) that manually and/or electrically locks/unlocks each/both door(s). This can be done without the power on, providing everything is functional. Flip the chrome switch (left to right). This should unlock both doors. If doesn't work without power, then turn the ignition switch on. I had this issue with my driver's door. I had to replace the inner module that controlled the locking function. Using the key will not work. You have to manually get the door to open. There is a door control module - passenger side - next to the fuse panel. It is not in the fuse panel. This controls everything dealing with the opening/closing of each door. If the driver door functions normally, it is not the door control module that is corrupt.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM

@Greg in France, thank you for your suggestions. I will investigate seat removal with the top down to access the door card.

@MHF25, thank you for your post, I have tried manipulation of the drivers side flip switch with the ignition switch off and with it on as you suggested. I can hear mechanical action but unfortunately the passenger door remains locked. Neither the inside nor the outside handle will open the door. I believe there must be a problem with the mechanical linkage inside the door.

On older American cars it was possible to insert a "Slim Jim" between the window and the window seal to manipulate the internal linkage to open a locked door from the outside. The Slim Jim was made from a piece of 18 to 20 gauge steel about one inch wide and 15 to 18 inches long with a notch filed in one side near the end to be inserted. The notch served as a hook for manipulating the mechanism inside the door. Police and tow truck drivers frequently carried such a tool. Has anyone here tried this on a Jaguar door? Having not seen the mechanism inside the XJS door, I don't know if this is a possibility.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

[QUOTE=neelyrc;1837481
On older American cars it was possible to insert a "Slim Jim" between the window and the window seal to manipulate the internal linkage to open a locked door from the outside. The Slim Jim was made from a piece of 18 to 20 gauge steel about one inch wide and 15 to 18 inches long with a notch filed in one side near the end to be inserted. The notch served as a hook for manipulating the mechanism inside the door. Police and tow truck drivers frequently carried such a tool. Has anyone here tried this on a Jaguar door? Having not seen the mechanism inside the XJS door, I don't know if this is a possibility.[/QUOTE]
I am assuming that the actuators are working and that their connection to the lock is the problem. You ca unscrew the mirror on the door and using long nosed pliers see if pulling the actuating rod does anything; but I think, from what you have posted, that will not do it.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I've had issues with my door in the past, however, even when the mechanicals broke, and that's what broke, the automated part did not. In other words, when a linkage failed, the door still unlocked using the remote.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...th-spindle-key

That being said, with the window down, and a wire hanger, you should be able to get at the linkage by the door latch to manually release it.

I wish I could describe what you are getting at, but it's essentially the right side part in Part #15 that is not identified. If you can wrap you hook around the piece that extends from the left side part over to the right side in that picture, you should be able to release the latch.

If not, then you're trying to get at Part #13, but then the diagram won't help you find it.

With the window down you should be able to see into the door cavity. If you try to actuate the door handle, then hopefully you'll see some parts move, and then locate the part that is not moving?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 PM

@Vee, thanks for the reply. I found a technician locally who knew our cars and he basically did as you suggested in your post. With the window down and using a flash light and stiff wire with a hook, he was able to unlock the door. When he removed e door card he found a joint in the linkage rods had failed, apparently a plastic part, He indicated it had obviously failed previously and been tied together with some zip ties!! He was unable to find a replacement part but was able to make a suitable repair. Many thanks for the help.

The following 2 users liked this post by neelyrc:
Greg in France (03-09-2018), RickE (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Thank you for following up! I’m glad you were able to resolve your problem.

it would have been great if you had been able to take a picture of the failed part. Most, if not all, of the parts in that lock assembly are still available at JDHT! they are usually not that expensive. I would not recommend messing around with the fixed assembly now, I would probably recommend having the part on hand should the repair fail in the future.

Not a hot item to order immediately, but probably something to write down for the future...