XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

replacing inner headlamp unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default replacing inner headlamp unit?

My driver's side inner (high beam) headlamp lens was broken, so I sourced a good used one on Ebay. Unfortunately, the replacement doesn't appear to be as straightforward as I had hoped....and neither the service manual nor the Haynes manual is any help.....and a search here didn't turn up anything either.

Any tips on how to extract the existing unit before I dive in and try to figure it out on my own?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Joe, it's all very low tech.

The lamp is held in place by three (or is it four?) peg-in-socket affairs. Using a longish and sturdy-ish screwdriver (or other pry-bar type of device) you simply get in behind the lamp....get as solid of a "purchase" as possible with your prying device... and give a good shove to lever the pegs out of the sockets.

Since your lamp is broken you don't really care about breaking any of the mounting pegs....which we do hear reports of from time-to-time.

(If the lamp is being removed with future reinstallation on the agenda, the prospect of breaking the pegs makes the exercise a bit more anxiety ridden).

Anyhow.....

Installing the new lamp is simply a matter of lining up the pegs with the sockets and the application of a solid "whomp" with your hand.

My XJR...or the headlamps, at least... has been a magnet for rocks. I am so accustomed to replacing headlamps that I actually have an inventory of used ones on hand. Being such a veteran you'd think I'd remember if it's three pegs or four (see first paragraph) but I sorta stopped paying attention several headlamps ago :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The adjusting 'pegs' that mount to the sockets are PLASTIC so be careful and only pull straight off.

I just open the bonnet and use a long prybar to lever the lamp off the 3 mount ball sockets one-at-a-time.

If you snap an adjuster you might want to buy a replacement before you install the new lamp to keep from damaging it (falling off while driving).

A little dab of silicone grease will help with reinstalling.

A quick slap with a palm at each mount point will help installation (not too hard).

bob gauff

Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys....being Thanksgiving I wasn't expecting such quick replies, so I went outside and dove in - and your directions are spot on. BTW, it's three pegs...

I actually removed the grill, loosened the one screw holding the trim around the headlamp assembly and moved it out of the way. Obviously that's not required....but it only takes a few seconds to do - and it allowed me a better view of exactly how the lamp mounted. It also allowed me to grasp the lamp from the front and pull it off the pegs instead of prying from the rear.

One job down and probably ten to go!