XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacing my rear shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my rear shocks??

I am replacing my rear shocks with Bilstein shock absorbers but I haven't gotten my service disk in the mail yet and was wondering where the top mount is on my 95' xj6... I pulled out half of the back seat and stuck my arm in and felt only a solid wall with noise deadening material.. Do I have to go through the trunk and remove the gas tank to get to the upper mounts?? How hard is this process to replace the rear shocks?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Replacing my rear shocks??

hey, I just did my shocks the other day in the rear. I have a 1996 XJ6, and it wasent as bad as I thought, what you have to do is put ur car on a lift, and you have to drop the rear suspension. I wouldnt reccommended doing it yourself unless you know how to do it, but any mechanic should be able to do it. There are bolts all around the shocks and there gonna have to be removed,m when you show a mechanic they will know what your talking about. It only takes about 2 hours to do it, atleast it did for me. In the book it says 4.2 hours but it was way quicker than that, hope this helps, thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:43 PM

I got it done by myself, I didn't have all the right tools like a lift for starters but the floorjack got it done for me.. It was a pain in the **** becasue the fulcrum bolts were all but seized.. I had to pound them out with a sledge hammer.. It took me half a day for each shock but I finally got it done and now all those pops and creaks and rattles have dissapeared.. My old shocks were seized up. I couldnt get them to budge with a vise and some elbow grease. Hope I never have to do that job again, but it was well worth it and while I was under there I replaced the fuel filter as well......

Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

if yours is the X300 body, the right way to take down the rear shock is to take out the 4 pieces bolt located on the buttom of the top plate where the top of the coil is seated and partially lift the car without letting the wheel get off the ground, then tie down the coil spring so it will not be difficult to take out the strut later, then fully lift the car to take out all the bolts and nuts located around the suspension which holds the shock strut, slowly and carefully not to pull the brake hose line, make sure to secure a wire to hang the disc brake rotor so as not to stretch the brake line hose, then take down the whole strut assembly with the