XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Secondary Air injection removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Secondary Air injection removal?

Hello all,

I am in the proces of replacing my exhaust gaskets.
Unfortunately my car has the secondary air injection system which makes getting the heat shield off a pain.

Now the thread on one of the air injection tubes (EBC11437) is damaged so the car isn't going anywhere this weekend
So I wish to remove the dreadful air injection system, but can this be done on the X300 without problems?
And does anyone happen to know the thread size inside the manifold so I can put in a blanking plug?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

It can be physically removed, no problem. But you'll set a code and illuminate the CEL as I experience three to four times a year when my ECU thinks the air pump isn't quite working up to snuff.... although it is.

For those that bemoan the system and inevitable occasional CEL, some consolation is that it is a common problem on many make/model cars from this era that use this system.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

My air pump doesn't work at all. I get P0411 more often than Al, but sort of randomly distributed. I'd reckon it averages about 2-3 per month. (And I drive it EVERY day) If you keep an ELM 327 installed and have an app on the phone (such as Torque) it is a very minor annoyance to clear it.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
My air pump doesn't work at all. I get P0411 more often than Al, but sort of randomly distributed. I'd reckon it averages about 2-3 per month. (And I drive it EVERY day) If you keep an ELM 327 installed and have an app on the phone (such as Torque) it is a very minor annoyance to clear it.
True, the only downside of frequent code clearing is when(if) your state requires an annual "smog test" and you have to have a minimum number of start/stop cycles after a code has reset to pass. If the timing is wrong you may fail and have to go back. Minor annoyance, but possible.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer a part of my own question:

The thread size used on the piping is M15x1.0
Also used on the crank bolts for bicycles.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

To give sufficient clearance for the non-factory exhaust manifolds, my mechanic has removed the air injection pipes and unplugged the air pump. No ECL light in my case. Car runs fine, noted richness in CO when engine is cold; not sure about CO level when hot, as car has new O2 sensors and a replacement ECU remapped for the auto-to-manual conversion, so all reading to be thoroughly checked and re-checked pending access to dealer-level tools to do the necessary O2 sensor- and throttle- ECU adaption procedures.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Qvhk
To give sufficient clearance for the non-factory exhaust manifolds, my mechanic has removed the air injection pipes and unplugged the air pump. No ECL light in my case. Car runs fine, noted richness in CO when engine is cold; not sure about CO level when hot, as car has new O2 sensors and a replacement ECU remapped for the auto-to-manual conversion, so all reading to be thoroughly checked and re-checked pending access to dealer-level tools to do the necessary O2 sensor- and throttle- ECU adaption procedures.

Your OBD for the air injection probably has been disabled. I thought I read from Andy (XJREngineer) that when he remaps an ECU the OBD codes (some, or all?) are disabled?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I ran my '95 XJR without the air injection pump plugged in for several months. I immediately got the P0411 code but, after clearing it, it never came back....which I found odd. By all rights the system should've continued to see the fault and set a code....or so I thought.

As the years went by and other problems came and went I began to realize, with the help of others, that Jaguar's early OBDII systems were not, um, "fully developed".....which explained a lot of mysteries. Not sure if '96 and '97 were improved. I would hope so.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Your OBD for the air injection probably has been disabled. I thought I read from Andy (XJREngineer) that when he remaps an ECU the OBD codes (some, or all?) are disabled?
Would have to ask Andy. However, Rose did flash some codes when scanned with ELM 327 (Post#9 of Dash Warning Signals) and Autologic (see Post#1 of Rose’s High Idle after conversion and recovery from death), but the ECL light does not emerge. Whatever, I am happy with just the codes and no engine light.