XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

A shakey monday morning

Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A shakey monday morning

I started the x330 up this morning and there was a vibration coming through the steering wheel, no lights on the dash.

At 70 no viration, 50 and below slight vibration at a roundabout it was intermittent but nothing drastic.

on reach my destion I checked under the bonnet I was thinking engine mounts or something ?

But under the bonnet no oil, couldnt see and perished rubbers but the fan seemed to be shaking, I will load a picture later but tips and advice from you experience guys welcome.

PS Will be sorting some pictures from yesterdays show later, where do i post them ?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

When I start my engine I feel a vibration thru the steering wheel , it only happens when the car is dead cold , RPM is just fine just below 1000 RPM and no fluctation at all .Once the car gets warmer no vibration coming thru the steering wheel

Is your wheels ok btw , considering you can feel vibration when in motion

As for the posting the pics, you can use Off Topic therefore everyone not just X300 Owners can spot on your thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
When I start my engine I feel a vibration thru the steering wheel , it only happens when the car is dead cold , RPM is just fine just below 1000 RPM and no fluctation at all .Once the car gets warmer no vibration coming thru the steering wheel

Is your wheels ok btw , considering you can feel vibration when in motion
The car was dead cold this morning, hadnt used it since friday....
Vibe, is through steering wheel as well.

Wheels on the ground seem fine, will have a good check later as suited and booted now for work

Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Car-Nut
I started the x330 up this morning and there was a vibration coming through the steering wheel, no lights on the dash.

At 70 no viration, 50 and below slight vibration at a roundabout it was intermittent but nothing drastic.
It goes without saying that it's important to find what is causing the vibration. Since you're feeling the vibrations while not in motion, the source will be with the engine. I would check engine oil, then verify tune up specs are all within tolerance (spark plugs, etc). Run the engine through an RPM-range, say, from idle, bumping it 500 RPMs at a time, maybe up to 2500/3000, and note where the vibration stops/changes.

The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (07-13-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM

The oil is just due a change, filter will be with me tomorrow....

It hasnt leaked oil though and it doesnt burn it, but I'll check it.

Im not very good with engine parts names but I believe its what the fan is mounted on. I will go and check it out at lunch

Old 07-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Name:  file.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  file-2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  file-1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  90.3 KB

Checked it out at lunchtime and this is the fan that was checking once it warmed up though it stopped driving home it didnt shake

Is the actual fan mounted on a fan motor and the bearings could be gone or something.....

Again you more senior guys i welcome your input please

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Car-Nut
Checked it out at lunchtime and this is the fan that was checking once it warmed up though it stopped driving home it didnt shake

Is the actual fan mounted on a fan motor and the bearings could be gone or something...
There are two radiator [cooling] fans. Certainly, if the fan-blade itself, the bearing, or if the motor-mount is loose ... any of those could cause vibration. The fans are controlled by various input, such as ambient temperature, the A/C system, and so on.

Your could simply touch the [cooling] fan's motor mount with a thin rod to see if you can "feel" the vibration. You might also, when the engine's been off for a while, check all the cooling-motor's mounting hardware is secure.

The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (07-13-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 AM

I will check the fan blade, and motor mount again at lunch .... Thanks for your input

Today on the way in it was fine

Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by caldercay
There are two radiator [cooling] fans. Certainly, if the fan-blade itself, the bearing, or if the motor-mount is loose ... any of those could cause vibration. The fans are controlled by various input, such as ambient temperature, the A/C system, and so on.

Your could simply touch the [cooling] fan's motor mount with a thin rod to see if you can "feel" the vibration. You might also, when the engine's been off for a while, check all the cooling-motor's mounting hardware is secure.
The images obviously show the top fan is the issue, strangely enough its been behaving all week.... typical when you want to diagnose something.

Anyway the mount was fine, but fan blade shook/wobbled on what ever it is monted on very slightly what is the part name anyone ??

Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM

As members kindly gave me some input on my thread.

I thought Id give some feedback on to what was diagnosed.

The vibrating with the fan area was diagnosed as the air con bearings have collapsed will I be able to buy these seperatly or will they come in the air con unit?

Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars

The vibrating on start up etc was diagnosed as a collapsed right hand Cat.