XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Shifter will not move :o(

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Shifter will not move :o(

Hello all,

Have not posted here in awhile because I sold my XJ-S, a few months back, and just recently sold the XJ6. However, I still have the XJ6 as the new owner wants me to get it smogged so the DMV will give me a title. Since he is footing the bill, I have no problem with that. However, I took it to my local mechanic to have it smogged, and he told me it would fail because I just installed a coil on the number 2 plug and reset the codes. He told me I would need to drive the car a couple of days so the on board computer can check the various systems to make sure they are okay.

So I get back into the car to drive it home, and the gear selector will not move out of Park. And before you ask, yes, I had my foot on the brake. However, I have not had to put my foot on the brake in the past, because I remember loading it onto my car trailer, and just reaching in to turn the key one click, and then pull the gear shift into neutral so I can use the winch to pull it up the ramps. Now, it will not move no matter what I do. I tried it with the engine on, and off, foot on brake pedal and off, and nothing works.

So I had to have the car towed back to my home, and now here it sits. Unable to go anywhere because I can't put it in gear. The mechanic said it may be the switch on the brake pedal or the gear shift interlock solenoid. I am going to have a neighbor shade tree mechanic look at it tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem.

Another thing the mechanic said was if it is the solenoid it is a dealer only item, and I cannot afford anything at a Jaguar dealer, so it looks like I may be scouring the local junkyards in the hopes of finding one with the same year/model as mine.

Jim

Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Remove the knurled looking plug just left and forward of the J Gate. Insert the key, or biro, or similar round object, and push down. This will release the interlock thingy.

Maybe you have a brake light globe blown. I have heard that will cause this?????, but unsure of the validity of the comment.

I have no answer as to why it was not locking prior to thia.

Mine drove me nuts, so I removed it, my car, my choice.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-25-2014 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nighteyez (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

+1

The Brake Light Switch is a more common failure than the Interlock Solenoid.

If it is the Interlock Solenoid failed, then a.f.a.i.k. this is only available from the dealer:

Shifter will not move :o(-x300-interlock.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

I've had a nasty shock with these in the past. The original solenoid was around £32 but was superseded by one at an eye watering £230. I expect US unit cost to be even higher.

Good news is that any one from an X300 will fit so you aren't restricted to the same MY when searching at a breakers.

Graham

Nighteyez (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Grant, I don't think that a blown bulb will cause the interlock to go AWOL but stranger things have happened

Jim, I agree with Graham that the brake switch may be the culprit. Can you hear it click when you depress the brake? Looking at the circuit diagram, it suggests that the not-in-park switch may also play a role.

Also there is a relay in the console that controls actuation of the solenoid. All of these components send /receive their signals from the BPM, so that's where I would start checking the I/O's to pinpoint the problem

New solenoids are over $300 but you can find used ones for $50 or so.

Nighteyez (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Years ago I had a won't-shift-out-of-park problem. I'd have to stab the brake pedal several times before the solenoid would release the gearshift. This made me suspicious of the brake light switch.

I then noticed that whenever the problem occured my brake lights were simultaneously inoperative......no red reflection on the garage door when I looked in the mirror. That cinched it.

Replacing the brake light switch solved the problem.

Cheers
DD

Nighteyez (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Thanks all for your suggestions, I will have a look later today after church. I might just get lucky and only have to replace the brake switch.

Jim

Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks all for your suggestions, I will have a look later today after church. I might just get lucky and only have to replace the brake switch.

Jim

If it comes down to the switch......

Jaguar replaced the original design with a later variant (from the X308, I think) that looks a bit different but works fine. The wiring is a bit different as well so an adapter harness is also offered.

I bought and used the adapter harness but it's wayyyy more expensive than it should be....$60-70 for a couple scraps of wire with mating connectors to match what's in the car. Stupid expensive, actually. Fifteen minutes with a soldering gun and some shrink tubing would do the trick if you wanna save some money. I should have researched ahead of time. I went ahead and used it on a "Oh, what the hell, I already bought it" basis.

I should've sent it back as it *still* aggravates me a bit....as you can see

Cheers
DD

Nighteyez (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You know, Doug, lying on your back under the dash with a hot soldering iron might very well have convinced you the $65.00 was money well spent! Even butt splices can be difficult to manipulate under there since they give no extra lead on the connectors.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Will be checking on it today, so I will report what I find.

Jim

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
You know, Doug, lying on your back under the dash with a hot soldering iron might very well have convinced you the $65.00 was money well spent! Even butt splices can be difficult to manipulate under there since they give no extra lead on the connectors.

Well, yes, I reckon you're right. It *is* very tight under there.

My judgement (and memory) is clouded because I'm still holding a grudge of the price of the adapter ! Some things just stick in a guy's craw, ya know?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 PM

Fixed the problem, cost me $30 in labor (my neighbor works cheap) by breaking the tab that blocks the shifter from moving. Not going to pay an arm and a leg for a solenoid I can't find. And the brake switch was checked and found to be working perfectly. So now I can move the shifter without having to use a screw driver.

Jim