XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Should I keep her?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I keep her?

Hello! I'm brand new here and looking for some input on whether or not I should keep a 1995 XJ6 4 liter that's been in the family since new. Here's the deal:

My parents own a 95 XJ6-- 4 liter-- green-- 44000 miles. It belonged to my grandparents and was passed on when they passed away. When my parents got the car 5 years ago, they had it checked over by a trusted foreign car mechanic who said it was in great shape --just needed new tires since it had been sitting for a few years. My folks put new tires on it and have driven it very little since then. My step mother drives it once or twice a week to tennis dates at the country club. I'm guessing she drives it no more than 15 miles a week.

Now they want to get rid of it. So I offered to help with selling it. I took it out for a drive to get it washed and to take photos and I was absolutely amazed at the ride! So incredibly smooth, such great power, I've never driven anything like it! And the interior is so gorgeous and solid!

After doing some research, and seeing how little these cars sell for and how reliable people claim they are, I'm tempted to keep it for myself. It doesn't seem worth it to basically give away such a beautiful piece of design and engineering!

That said, it's not a practical car for my husband and me ... we'd need to keep our 4WD SUV. And I'm not a mechanic-- though years ago I owned a 1980 Mercedes diesel and I learned to do all the maintenance and repairs myself (but that was an easy car to work on). So I'm capable of learning but in no way skilled at diy maintenance.

The only problems with the car I know of are a saggy headliner, a few spots where the clearcoat has peeled (one door handle and the flip top for the gas cap) and my stepmom says the AC stopped blowing cold though she never had it looked at. It's super clean though, all the electrical works, and the miles are so low (44,000). And my grandfather, I'm sure, was meticulous about maintenance.

So what do you all think? Should I keep it? Will it cost a lot in upkeep? And if I don't keep it what can I realistically ask for it (without fixing the AC)?
Thanks for reading such a long post. And thanks in advance for your input! I feel like I'm a little bit too infatuated to weigh all the pros and cons without some help!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Default Some pics

Here are the pics I took to sell the car. Though I might be selling it to myself

Old 09-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

How many looks do you get with the Jaguar and how many for the other car ?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 PM

Hi Lady Penelope!
Certainly, I'd get more looks in the jag. I need my current car for utilitarian reasons but even I still can't pick it out of the many similar silver SUVs in a parking lot!

So the XJ6 would be a second car (and an indulgence for sure) but I'm not so much interested in it for the looks I would get but rather for the pleasure of driving such a brilliant piece of engineering. Just curious if all the claims of reliability are for real and if it would be worth the cost of maintenance etc. Perhaps I'm just looking for encouragement 😊

Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Do it. Mine has some issues, and yet im sure it would happily drive on for years, but you wont do that because you will want to restore it, because its a jag, your jag. Fuel economy is superb for a car of its age, year, weight etc, I get 27 mpg ( imperial) easily, and I dont drive like a granny. They chug through fuel when stuck in traffic or lots of start stop so something to keep in mind. Nothing has happened since I bought mine, just dealing with existing issues. Maintenance is cheap, as the car is easy to work on, good access and mechanically/electrically simple. Parts are mostly cheap. If genuine parts are no longer available, then proper OEM spec replacements will be available for a fraction. Genuine parts are usually 50/50, either sensibly priced or outrageously expensive. Im a student and its my daily driver, with expensive UK fuel prices, so it really is one of those luxury cars you can own on a budget.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yours is just like my Lady P . Nautilus blue green mica Sovereign

The X300 ( 94.5 - 97 ) is sweet spot in the XJ6

Take it to a Jaguar specialty mechanic and get a $ 100 dollar assessment

There is a list of things to look for specific to the X300 series .

Keep the list of findings and post it for advice

Don't paint it for resale if you choose to do so for it gives the buyer a choice of color

The original Jaguar / Alpine stereo can be modified yourself to put in a auxiliary jack for any device along with the original speakers repaired real cheap

The A /C has a built in self test or it could simply need freon

Leather can be rejuvenated softened and cleaned yourself

All service manuals avialable on line , see one of them below :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kkn8gdfk1c6mhbj/Jaguar+X300+Series+Manual.zip

See video in full screen mode

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-26-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I have had the earlier XJ40's a 2.9, under powered but still fun to drive, finally went to the big car park in the sky due to the body rusting away. I pulled the engine apart, it must have been up around 250,000klms I could still see the cross hatch in the bores. Next was the 4.0 a '92 model kept that for 13 years and only relinquished ownership when funds allowed the purchase of a '99 XJR. My brother has had his 3.2 1996 X300 and is now up to 340,000 Klms. he has had to replace the diff and the clear coat is dis-appearing but it still drives like new. Get the AC fixed and just enjoy. BTW twice recently I was out in the XJR when people passing by commented on the car, doesn't happen when I'm out in the wifes' Mazda 6

Last edited by Robman25; 09-26-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welome to the forum, Smitten! Make sure you post an intro in the new members section so you can get a proper welcome and and be recognized for full membership status.

Excellent example of an X300 in your pics. Your clock still works! It sounds like you could do most of the required maintenance and repairs, considering you've maintained "good german diesel" (grunted through strained face whilst making sidewise fist-pumping motion from solar plexis) and that is really the key to financially viable ownership of these fine automobiles.

Yes, they are as reliable as you've read...but it is also a 22 yr old luxury car. There will be niggles. Mostly inconveniences, rarely anything that would strand you somewhere. There are several threads, possibly in the stickies that will describe just about everything everyone has experienced with them. I'll try to find a few and post back under edit. Good luck in your decision and if you keep it, you'll find a wealth of info here in the forum for maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing it when needed.

You don't mention a location, but from the pics, considering headliner and clearcoat, I'd guess somewhere in the Sunbelt rather than the Rustbelt.

A bit of reading for your consideration:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblems-46769/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-27-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Yours is just like my Lady P . Nautilus blue green mica Sovereign

The X300 ( 94.5 - 97 ) is sweet spot in the XJ6

Take it to a Jaguar specialty mechanic and get a $ 100 dollar assessment

There is a list of things to look for specific to the X300 series .

Keep the list of findings and post it for advice

Don't paint it for resale if you choose to do so for it gives the buyer a choice of color

The original Jaguar / Alpine stereo can be modified yourself to put in a auxiliary jack for any device along with the original speakers repaired real cheap

The A /C has a built in self test or it could simply need freon

Leather can be rejuvenated softened and cleaned yourself

All service manuals avialable on line , see one of them below :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kkn8gdfk1c6mhbj/Jaguar+X300+Series+Manual.zip
Thanks for the manual link! And the tip about AC self test is really useful!
I haven't bit the bullet yet but I'm doing a pretty good job convincing myself that I should have this car!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome aholbro

This is the kind of thing that I like to hear:

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Mostly inconveniences, rarely anything that would strand you somewhere.
I can deal with inconveniences but don't want to wonder if my car's going to start each time I get in it!

How do these cars so in light snow? Or do most people put them up for the winter?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsmitten
Thanks for the welcome aholbro
Most welcome. Have another look, I just posted a couple of links for you

How do these cars so in light snow? Or do most people put them up for the winter?
Well, your prospective one does not have traction control, so it is a rear wheel drive, probably sans limited slip differential (std on SC, but scarce on others) with ABS. Not the first choice for slick conditions, but by no means unable. They are very responsive and controllable once they break traction; a slight flick of the wheel and she'll straighten right up!

If I may make so bold, "What does it matter?" given your statement that the 4wd SUV must stay in the fold? (and perhaps I missed on guessing Sun belt location)

At risk of being a stick-in-the-mud and ultra purist, I caution that Parker's video does not depict the X300, rather its replacement, the X308. At least in all instances except the ones disembarked by Princess Diana about 1:45 and Lady Thatcher about 2:33. Lady Thatcher's ride is a predecessor of the X300, though I am not familiar enough with the older models to name the exact series. Not a good enough shot of the car (guess the camera-man had a Princess fixation) for me to determine which model the Princess disembarked.

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-27-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM

If I may make so bold, "What does it matter?" given your statement that the 4wd SUV must stay in the fold? (and perhaps I missed on guessing Sun belt location)
You're right, it doesn't much matter. I was just curious how she would do in winter. Grandparents actually had the car up north I think (though maybe in Florida-- I'm not sure) either way it was garaged and babied. My parents have had it in the mid Atlantic region for 5 years-- parked outdoors. I'm moving to Western North Carolina shortly and would take it with me there. It would be the perfect thing for driving daytrips in the mountains. And, yes, I would have the other car for snow and mud.

I've bookmarked the links you sent, thanks again!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

. Not a good enough shot of the car (guess the camera-man had a Princess fixation)
There was a Jaguar in that scene ?

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-27-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

My parents have had it in the mid Atlantic region for 5 years-- parked outdoors.
Better lift the fuel filler door and check that the drain is not clogged with flora and/or fauna. Come a hard rain, the compartment will fill up, and if the seal on the fuel filler cap isn't just so...you'll be chasing a "won't start/won't run well" problem. I use a blast of compressed air on mine periodically; well... "mine" parks inside, but the other 2 I maintain are predominantly parked outdoors. Anyway, I suspect a vacuum would work, as well.
As a test, I suggest tipping a cup of water into the bowl periodically to make sure the drain is evacuating properly - I've seen them clog where there is nothing terribly obvious in there, still, the water goes ever so slowly...

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-27-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I just bought a 101000 mile example of a 1995 Vanden Plas. You are right they are not worth a lot. So far I have done, shocks, tires, plugs, cleaned the ABS sensors and driven it. I need to do a fluid flush front to rear and swap the timing chain tensioner and new valve cover gaskets.

Then I plan on driving it another 100000.

I think I am in love....

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

How many cars are worthy of keeping by three or more generations?

My collection includes a Mercedes W124 and an Alfa 164, but the level of activity, satisfaction and pride of ownership in their respective forums are nowhere near this forum. In my view, the wealth of technical knowledge and DIY tips, the level of interaction and real help available to new comers in this forum is a major factor enabling long-term ownership of an X300.

The following 2 users liked this post by Qvhk:
aholbro1 (09-28-2017), Lady Penelope (09-27-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Qvhk
How many cars are worthy of keeping by three or more generations?

My collection includes a Mercedes W124 and an Alfa 164, but the level of activity, satisfaction and pride of ownership in their respective forums are nowhere near this forum. In my view, the wealth of technical knowledge and DIY tips, the level of interaction and real help available to new comers in this forum is a major factor enabling long-term ownership of an X300.
Yes! Thank you for that Qvhk.
I still haven't decided yet (well, my heart is all in, but the brain persists with some doubts about the responsibilities of becoming a two car household). But it's so great to know that this forum is here to help if I do adopt the XJ6. The last classic car I owned would have been a bit of a headache if it weren't for the kind folks and enthusiasts on the MB forums. Because of them, that car brought me so much joy and pride in working on it myself.

I will I'll let you all know what happens. And if I keep the car, I'll definitely be around seeking advice!

Old 09-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

On the flip side of your dilemma, I reckon it might fetch between $2k-$3k in an as-is sale, depending on location and buyer. Others may weigh-in, but I can't see it fetching much more than $3k.

Qvhk has an excellent point: 50 years from now when someone is cleaning up great granddad's estate and pushes back the barn door to discover two dusty but otherwise near mint condition autos, no one's gonna be fighting over the 2015 Kia; all the energy will be expended in trying to obtain the X300!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Five relatives open the barn door .

There is a Jaguar on the right side of the Barn .

There is a Kia on the left side of the Barn .

Everyone runs over the the right side of the Barn

Everyone has both hands on the Jaguar .

Relative 4 is bumping relative 2 with their hip to displace their hands .

Relative 2 is bumping relative 4 with their hip to displace their hands .

Relative 3 is bumping relative 1 with their hip to displace their hands .

Relative 5 is bumping relative 4 with their hip to displace their hands .

The executive of the estate is bumping the relative 5 with the their hip to displace their hands .

Relative 3 is bumping the executive of the estate with their hip to displace their hands .

Relative 1 says " I saw it first "

Relative 4 says " I saw it first "

Relative 3 says " I saw it first "

Relative 5 says " I saw it first "

The executive of the estate says " I saw it first "

Relative 2 says " I saw it first "

Relative 5 says to relative 1 " Hey look , there is a American flag behind your back and the freedom it represents " and starts a air trumpet of the Star Spangled Banner and demanding " You must obey , turn around and put your hand on your heart with the other on your side "

Relative 5 spins their head back around and sees relative 1 , 2, 3, 4 , and the executive of the estate

Linking arms and kneeling .

Parker has left the building .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-29-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Keep her!!

Absolutely keep her!! Whenever I think about changing my car I realise how much I'd miss my Jaguar. There is so little to compare. It is distinctive, reliable, solid, attracts all the right kind of attention and makes me feel good every time I sit in behind the wheel.

I've come to know and understand her and she treats me with respect. Soon, I'll be devoting some time and attention to her, with some cosmetic improvements, niggly repairs (read "hobby") and she'll reward me in kind.

I intend to keep her for as long as is possible and I don't see why she won't outlast me. At least that's the plan.

Many people are sensible and drive jelly moulds on wheels, but they don't smile so much when they're doing so.