XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Spark Plug light and dying when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug light and dying when stopped

Hello All,

Just bailed my Jaguar out of the dealership for the same problem that seems to be happening again.

Car drives fine, then my spark plug light comes on and the car dies everything I have to come to a stop. Leaving me in the middle of traffice in park and having to restart the vehicle and does this everytime I have to come to a stop.

I have found that I have to keep the brake pressed and keep feeding it a bit of gas when I'm stopped in order not to stall out.

The dealer found that the spark plugs were not gapped properly and did that for me for a mere $200 bucks. They also said that they cleaned the fuel injectors it drove fine for two days and now it's doing the same things all over again.

Any ideas of where I should start with this?

Thank you!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

You need to tell us which Jag you have

The following users liked this post:
AmberJaguar (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Spark plug light?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM

As I was driving home last night I remembered that I hadn't said what type of Jaguar I drive. >.<

It's a 1996 XJ6

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

WTF is a spark plug light?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Ahhh...posted in incorrect subforum...hopefully you'll get moved. good luck, spark pluglight sounds bD.

steveinfrance (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Maybe I'm wrong about what the light actually means. But here is a picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug light and dying when stopped-130307_001.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberJaguar
Maybe I'm wrong about what the light actually means. But here is a picture of it.
Looks like a transmission fault indicator. I did a lot of searching for you on this and lots of people have asked this question on the web and no one has really given a definitive answer. Without an original owners manual it is hard to tell.
Vector

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. I've moved you to what I think is the correct XJ section.
Please take time to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'

Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

AFAIK (and someone with more experience will be along to confirm / refute this shortly!), the transmission fault indicator is probably coming on because the engine has stopped, rather than because of any fault with the transmission itself.

I had the same problem as you - in my case it was cured by replacing the plugs with the factory specified Champions, and cleaning out the TB.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree with Ziggy. The light is just a result of the engine stalling. I have been having that problem for sometime. I think I am on the right track as identifying it as the throttle body TPS(throttle position sensor). They are very expensive to replace and the dealer will only replace it with a Jag unit at near $500. I have been doing a lot of research and think I have found a good substitute which is used in the English Ford Scorpio. I have one on order at $135. It has not arrived yet, but when it does I will test it against the Jag unit. The Jag TPS has the Ford logo on it and I believe it is identical. We'll see and I will post a complete summary of the results when finished. This could be a significant cost savings for all XJ6 (X300) owners.

littlelic69 (04-10-2015)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Welcome to the Forum. I've moved you to what I think is the correct XJ section.
Please take time to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'

Thank you for moving me. I was unaware that I was in the wrong area of the forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ziggy
AFAIK (and someone with more experience will be along to confirm / refute this shortly!), the transmission fault indicator is probably coming on because the engine has stopped, rather than because of any fault with the transmission itself.

I had the same problem as you - in my case it was cured by replacing the plugs with the factory specified Champions, and cleaning out the TB.

This is sounding like what the problem is. I think I may have been stalling out because I was entering limp mode or something. I did have new spark plugs put in but I think I will be buying a better kind and replacing them again. Then I'm going to have a look at the TB once the weather breaks.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberJaguar
Thank you for moving me. I was unaware that I was in the wrong area of the forum.
No worries, wipe away those emoticon tears pronto, it takes awhile to realize the many various divisions and breaks in the xj model years...even more difficult to remember their official jaguar number designation! X300, x308, x350, etc.

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Please let us know how that ford scorpio tps works out, many have talked about it on this site but have yet to get a solid answer. I personally would suspect that you have a bad coil rather than a bad tps. Just remove your coil cover and take a look at the coils at night, in the dark, as this may reveal a bad coil arcing. this is a common problem and you can find lots of info about the coils on this site. dont worry, I suspect your problem is not that big.

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Both are very easy things to try - the TB is simple to get at and it'll be obvious if it's full of gunk. The 'correct' Champion plugs are cheap - I'd always considered them inferior to the NGKs that I always use on my other cars, but other people reported that they work best here... Hope it works for you!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I think the best plugs are the factory recommended Champion RC12YCC, also the cheapest.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM

Hello AmberJaguar and welcome to the forum. These guys are great here and have helped me on a couple of occasions. I started out with a 95 XJ6 and some of the same problems.
1st thing I would do is have the OBD II codes read and then erased. Write them down first for future reference. You would be amazed at the difference having old fault codes erased can do.
Second i would clean your MAF sensor. The transmission light makes me say this. Fords, and now Jaguar as well, thank you Ford, have the MAF and tranny linked. My Jag was slipping between shifts and refusing to shift into high gear without going to 4500 rpm in each gear and manually shifting. To clean mine I had to drill out the rivets and pull the sensor out of the housing. Soaked the end in rubbing alcohol for an hour and replaced it. Attached it with #6 wood screws 3/4 inch long in the old rivet holes. Shifts like a new one now.
Third, pull each coil and inspect the rubber boots for cracks and burn marks no matter how small. If you find any you can wrap the boot in electrical tape for a temp fix. I've used a silicone tape and it has held for a month so far.
All of these things by themselves can make the car almost undriveable and combined can make you think of using it for grenade demonstrations. I hope this helps and one of these things shows an obvious problem and makes a dramatic difference. Always good to see the problem and solution rather than the problem never really showing itself. Good luck

Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

These cars also seem to be very sensitive when it comes to electricals. Maybe the spirit of Lucas, Prince of Darkness still haunts us. LOL Have your battery checked and try to find out how old it is. (they are usually marked with a code) If it is suspect, replace it and you may find a lot of symptoms clear up.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure your mass air flow sensor is plugged in all the way and the connection is clean.

I had this same problem with my 97 vdp

Good luck

Quick Reply: Spark Plug light and dying when stopped