XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Stalling and coughing after revving

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stalling and coughing after revving

Good evening everyone

It has been quite some time since I've had to post about any issue with my 96 VDP however I'm afraid I'm suffering from that annoying stalling/hesitation issue.

I've found that after stopping at a traffic light or a stop sign, when I put my foot down the car hesitates and in some cases will almost stall. I have replaced the plugs and the coils are not at fault.

I have noticed that when I start the car it has a knock to it which to me sounds like timing issue but I do not know. In late August I replaced a coil with a brand new one and noticed that when I started the car it would crank for less than a second before firing right up, felt almost like it was starting too quickly (again timing issue). The knock and hesitation are worrisome as I love my Jag so very much

I have read on this forum that one should replace the fuel filter and clean the throttle body before undertaking the more expensive repairs. Now I hate to sound like a fool but I honestly do not know where either of those are located under the hood nor how to go about tending to them.

Furthermore, I put the car in park after coming home from work and revved the engine, after the expected revs I heard what sounded like a sputter as soon as I took my foot off the gas. It as though its revving perfectly fine and as soon as I take my foot off it goes "rrrrrrrrrrr-p-p"
That's something new that I'm not fond of either.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be happy to head out to the garage and put the advice to good use.

Also if anyone has had similar issues and resolved them please let me know.

I should say that this is my daily driver with 219000km, only fed 94 octane (all we can get here), I put a bottle of system cleaner through it just within the last week (no results to report though).

Thank you so much chaps
Much appreciated as always

Cheers

Mike

The following users liked this post:
VickTrader (10-11-2022)