XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Still not running right

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Still not running right

Well what an interesting day. Couldn't find pressure gauge so decided to start at other end. Checked all fuses, relays plugs etc. No problems there. Jacked up car took off drivers rear wheel and noting all warnings not to strangle the pipes removed fuel filter as first item regarding lack of fuel. Well the filter is solidly blocked. Blowing will get nothing through. Refitted new filter and all parts and had the missus crank the engine with the fuel pipe off the rear of the rail into a plastic bottle. Fuel now rushes through but at unknown pressure. Fitted pipes back. Engine spins over but will not fire. Gave several sqirts of easy start into elbow via breather hose and the engine roars into life. Continues to run happily on fuel from the tank and did so for about an hour before I turned it off. Tick-over is very high 1500 revs plus. There is a pronounced flat spot on opening the throttle. Noticed that pulling off the MAF plug engine would die pretty quickly. Removal of the temperature plug, no difference or air temp intake. Each time engine stopped it would start again on the key. Left for about twenty minutes and again wouldn't fire without easystart. I have come across this once before with someone else with a X300 but do not know the cause or remedy. Later looked at the petrol from the cranking and there does seem to be a lot of water in it. So apart from the dodgy petrol any clues as to how to correct the poor tick-over and running. Any idea which blue relay in the boot is the fuel pump relay. Thanks again you guys. 96 X 300 by the way

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by overtheatlantic
Any idea which blue relay in the boot is the fuel pump relay.
None! There are 2 relays for the fuel pump, one is the blue relay in the right front engine bay fusebox, the second is the blue relay in the right rear heelboard. Remove the cover and it will be obvious.

Water in the fuel concerns me, I think there is a drain plug in the tank, I'd drain the tank and put in fresh fuel, along with some methanol to absorb the water. Water won't pass through injectors like fuel will, that might be your problem. Then check the drain in the fuel filler box and make sure it is clear.

The following users liked this post:
overtheatlantic (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Don't know if they changed it up for '96, but for '95's, it is 41 and 45(XJR only,) both in the boot.

and this info confirmed accurate for my '95 VDP - I pulled 41, got a start and few seconds run, then crank-only - in preparation for removing the harmonic balancer

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trunk Relays.pdf (641.1 KB, 132 views)
The following users liked this post:
overtheatlantic (08-27-2013)