XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Strange Electrical Problem...Goblins?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Strange Electrical Problem...Goblins?

So for the past few years now my Damiler Six (Jaguar XJ6 Vandan Plas for the colonists) has had a very odd problem.

While driving a long the windows will go up, the sun roof will close, the doors lock/unlock and the antenna will go up and down (the stereo does not turn off).

This all happens after you turn the ignition to its second position/start the car. It does not happen if you just turn the car on (first position).

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks all!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

You are NEW, so first up welcome aboard.

Being down here the Daimler is well known and readily available.

The items doing what they are (except the antenna) are related to the locking of the car. My base model came without the remote bits, so by holding the key in the door to the locked position, closed the windows etc and armed the alarm.

I reckon you have a "body control module" doing hissy things, and I am reading more of that item giving grief by the day.

Try disconnecting the battery overnight, and see if the thing resets itself, it can happen, will cost you nothing.

Others will come in with more suggestions in due time.

The following users liked this post:
regal (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Thats a good idea! Thank you!

I had downloaded the copiously long Electronic manual provided by this website (great resource!) and had though it might of had something to do with the central locking mechanism.

An autoelectrition suggested water was getting in somewhere?

I will try disconnecting the battery as you suggested - I believe its in the boot.

Will I need to reprogram the Stereo?

I don't have the remote either - the key has a unlock and lock feature but the lock micro-button- has come unstuck from the CB - but thats another issue...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Is your car named "Christine"?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roger95
Is your car named "Christine"?
I think its Christines annoying nephew Christopher who's less malevolent devil spawn and more mischievous prankster.

I did actually talk to the car today when the auto-electrician came - he didn't have a clue.

After some more research I found something in the manual call the 'All Up' feature which is activated, supposedly, using the door key. That closes all the windows and the sunroof (which is what seems to be happening). Now being that my 'lock' button is missing from my remote it can't be that triggering it. Even so I'm going to try using one of the valet keys to see if it happens then.

The other idea is it could be the 'drive-away lock- feature as the doors are locking and unlocking on their own.

My other theory is that the Antenna, the Central Locking, and the All Up features are all controlled by the same Control Module - or are on the same wiring harness somewhere.

Honestly I have no idea - it would take someone who's had experience with the electric in a Jag x300.

Anyway - thought htis might be of help to you guys.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
You are NEW, so first up welcome aboard.

I reckon you have a "body control module" doing hissy things, and I am reading more of that item giving grief by the day.

Try disconnecting the battery overnight, and see if the thing resets itself, it can happen, will cost you nothing.

Others will come in with more suggestions in due time.

Thanks again - seems you suggested the same thing I just deduced from reading - I'll look up the "body control module" in the manual and see whats what.

Will disconnecting teh batter cause the radio to need to be coded again?

i.e. input that 4 digit code.

-Peter

Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 AM

Some markets had radio codes, we did NOT.

I faintly, haha, remember it mainly being USA spec cars??.

I had no code for mine in all the books and stuff, and needed a new battery, so priority thinking kicked in, and new battery installed, car worked fine, as did the stereo, and it still DID NOT talk to the CD changer, bugga. new head unit followed next day with single CD, and USB front slot, sweet, even for an old guy.

My nieghbour has a 2000 XJ8 and NO radio code either. Regularly disconnects his battery (part time car), and has NO issues at all with the stereo, only the seat memory.

Decission now belong you.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Any ideas on how I go about checking to see if any of the Control Modules are messing up? Is it possible the wires going to it are shorting?

-Peter

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM

Not sure about testing those modules. I reckon substitution with a known good unit is what some do, but finding "good working units" that someone will let you TRY is going to be rather hard.

Just had another thought.

I have read here often that the wiring loom in the boot, where it traverses the RH boot hinge, and the side of the fuel tank, sometimes get caught/frayed/shorted, and reeks havoc with the car.

I took off that trim covering attached to the fuel tank, then basically crawled insid ethe boot and fished around that hinge area, and found that small loom, and found mine to be OK.

Maybe that simple???.

The following users liked this post:
regal (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Not sure about testing those modules. I reckon substitution with a known good unit is what some do, but finding "good working units" that someone will let you TRY is going to be rather hard.

Just had another thought.

I have read here often that the wiring loom in the boot, where it traverses the RH boot hinge, and the side of the fuel tank, sometimes get caught/frayed/shorted, and reeks havoc with the car.

I took off that trim covering attached to the fuel tank, then basically crawled insid ethe boot and fished around that hinge area, and found that small loom, and found mine to be OK.

Maybe that simple???.

oooh. I'll have a look! thank you!