XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof: how to retrieve smaller rear panel? (+ another question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sunroof: how to retrieve smaller rear panel? (+ another question)

The sunroof never popped up properly (at the rear) and it would not slide back. I took the sunroof [outer] panel off and found the passenger side lift mechanism disengaged, so fixed that.

I [slid forward and] snapped the large interior cover panel back into place - I had to slide it back fully to work on the sunroof mechanisms, which means the smaller [rearward] interior cover panel has been pushed back into the rear of the roof.

Question #1
Is there a trick to retrieving this smaller [rearward] inner panel? Do I just use a coat-hangar (with a bent "hook" on the end) and continue to fish for it and pull it forward?

(two more questions follow)

Question #2
(Associated photo follows). Close to the rear of the large inner panel, there are two "springs" on either side of the panel which appear to "push against" the metal sunroof panel ... do they simply rest against the metal panel? Or should they "snap" onto something (I dont see that they do)

Name:  DSCF1643.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  42.9 KB

Question #3
Is this as far as the sunroof slides back ?
Name:  DSCF1645.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

That's as far as it goes and the springs just push on the metal sliding roof.
You can 'fish' the rear interior panel by using a hook on each side or 'one' back and forth a little at a time.

bob gauff

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sunroof

I just reach back there and grab it. The headliner is flexible enough to allow space to reach back there. Bob, I got a quick question for you. When I slide my sunroof back to closin position, it will reach the raised bar that it has to bend down but instead start to slide back to open position. Is my sunroof motor dying?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
The sunroof never popped up properly (at the rear) and it would not slide back. I took the sunroof [outer] panel off and found the passenger side lift mechanism disengaged, so fixed that.

I [slid forward and] snapped the large interior cover panel back into place - I had to slide it back fully to work on the sunroof mechanisms, which means the smaller [rearward] interior cover panel has been pushed back into the rear of the roof.

Question #1
Is there a trick to retrieving this smaller [rearward] inner panel? Do I just use a coat-hangar (with a bent "hook" on the end) and continue to fish for it and pull it forward?

(two more questions follow)

Question #2
(Associated photo follows). Close to the rear of the large inner panel, there are two "springs" on either side of the panel which appear to "push against" the metal sunroof panel ... do they simply rest against the metal panel? Or should they "snap" onto something (I dont see that they do)

Question #3
Is this as far as the sunroof slides back ?
I'm gonna try to respond but my brain may not communicate it too well so bear with me. In the picture looking through, the spring does have a function but it only works if the piece to the very right of it is in the correct spot. that pin looking thing should be down in a piece on the track that has the same diameter hole as the pin. I suggest you take the panel back out. Once you remove it, look up from inside the car for the lever. there is a pivot on the lever that has a spring around it. One end fits into the headlining panel that you previously removed. The other end fits into the piece in the track that is attached to the rear panel that is stuck in the back of the roof. These mechanisms are very fragile and made of very fragile plastic. they are called tilt and slide mechanisms and may not even be available anymore. If you still have the piece that has the hole attached to it and it is still attached to the piece stuck in the back (you will have to pull the piece in the back forward) you should only have to gently bend the lever sideways so that is fits back into the hole on the sliding track piece on the panel that is stuck in the back. If the hole is damaged then it is useless trying to do anything and the sunroof needs to be removed and repaired. If I can get a picture of my car I will post it. I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing but i try.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
I'm gonna try to respond but my brain may not communicate it too well so bear with me. In the picture looking through, the spring does have a function but it only works if the piece to the very right of it is in the correct spot. that pin looking thing should be down in a piece on the track that has the same diameter hole as the pin. I suggest you take the panel back out. Once you remove it, look up from inside the car for the lever. there is a pivot on the lever that has a spring around it. One end fits into the headlining panel that you previously removed. The other end fits into the piece in the track that is attached to the rear panel that is stuck in the back of the roof. These mechanisms are very fragile and made of very fragile plastic. they are called tilt and slide mechanisms and may not even be available anymore. If you still have the piece that has the hole attached to it and it is still attached to the piece stuck in the back (you will have to pull the piece in the back forward) you should only have to gently bend the lever sideways so that is fits back into the hole on the sliding track piece on the panel that is stuck in the back. If the hole is damaged then it is useless trying to do anything and the sunroof needs to be removed and repaired. If I can get a picture of my car I will post it. I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing but i try.
So, the smaller rear-ward piece connects somehow?

I appreciate the feeback ... once I get the smaller inner panel up forward, it might make more sense. Thanks for the replies!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
That's as far as it goes and the springs just push on the metal sliding roof.
You can 'fish' the rear interior panel by using a hook on each side or 'one' back and forth a little at a time.
Thanks Bob !! I'll fashion a couple of hooks to pull the rear piece forward!!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is the diagnostic list TSB again

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (03-31-2023)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Look at illustration #6 on 501-26. It shows the lever and where it is to engage. Most of the time when a sunroof failed, the lever popped out of the "support H" and the "support H" was actually broken. The support H is what the rear section of sliding headliner rides in.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is the diagnostic list TSB again

bob gauff
Thanks for the TSB's, Bob... got them downloaded and reviewing ...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
Look at illustration #6 on 501-26. It shows the lever and where it is to engage. Most of the time when a sunroof failed, the lever popped out of the "support H" and the "support H" was actually broken. The support H is what the rear section of sliding headliner rides in.
Thanks for pointing that out, Mark. It's starting to make sense to me I'll take the sunroof metal panel off once i get the back piece slid forward ... i'm sure it'll make sense then, with your explanations.