XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thermostats

Anyone using the 174 degree thermostats? I'm replacing mine this weekend and was going to opt for the lower temp if it doesn't cause any issues.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

i wouldnt do it. if anything that car needs a hotter t stat since the heaters suck. and youre in Pa

Old 04-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 12,768 Likes on 6,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucky83
Anyone using the 174 degree thermostats? I'm replacing mine this weekend and was going to opt for the lower temp if it doesn't cause any issues.
Hi Bucky83,

Your fuel mileage might possibly suffer since the engine might not reach its optimum operating temperature under typical driving conditions, and arguably the lower temps could lead to accelerated wear of the engine's internals.

What is prompting you to consider the lower temp? Below is a link to an article that seems to dispell some of the myths about using a 'stat with a lower-than-recommended opening temperature:

Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage? | Tuner University

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Excellent post, thanks. One more myth that just won't die.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,168 Likes on 1,612 Posts

... is an author, entrepreneur and automotive enthusiast with over 10 years of experience building and modifying cars ...
He's still a pup and the site is basically a shill site for his "courses". That's the entrepreneur part.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Here's a link to a MotorWeek video that mentions that a thermostat that is running too cool can adversely affect fuel economy. I have experienced this twice with our '93, when fuel economy declined noticeably (2-3 mpg) and the cause was a stuck-open thermostat.

10 Fuel Saving Tips You Can Do Now | MotorWeek

A new, working lower-temp 'stat will have a lesser impact, but over time the cost of lower fuel economy will add up since the ECM will enrich the air-fuel ratio to compensate for the cooler engine operating temps.

Bucky83, ambient temps in Pennsylvania aren't known for being especially hot - what's your reason for considering a lower-temp 'stat?

Don

Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Hi all, no real reason, i just thought it wouldnt have real adverse effects. I will stay with stock temp. Should I land on a specific brand or will any "front line" brand be acceptable? FYI it is stuck open, not overheating or anything.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Went with the Beck Arnley @ OEM spec.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Went with the Beck Arnley @ OEM spec.
Your engine should be happy! :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 PM

She is VERY happy! My son and I removed the throttle body too... Boy, what a mess! Had some minor issues but she's running fine (probably better than she has for years). There was about 1\16 -1\8 of an inch of buildup on one side and approximately 1\16 on the other side of the butterfly. It is spotless now. Tomorrow will be an Easter afternoon claybar/ wax session. :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM

She is VERY happy! My son and I removed the throttle body too... Boy, what a mess! Had some minor issues but she's running fine (probably better than she has for years). There was about 1\16 -1\8 of an inch of buildup on one side and approximately 1\16 on the other side of the butterfly. It is spotless now. Tomorrow will be an Easter afternoon claybar/ wax session. :-)
Well done Bucky, not only for completing the thermostat swap and throttle body cleanup, but also for helping to train the next generation of Jaguar owner-mechanics!

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Bucky83 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Well done Bucky, not only for completing the thermostat swap and throttle body cleanup, but also for helping to train the next generation of Jaguar owner-mechanics!

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for the kudos. He's a good kid that is beginning to appreciate the value and satisfaction of working on our vehicles. One of the IACV screws did the dreaded snap but we drilled it out, extracted it and re-chased the threads with good final results.
He did note that I am calmer when I work on the Jag. :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 PM

One final note for anyone considering the Beck Arnley product: They are VERY well made and they come with the seal... Well worth the extra money.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Bucky83,

Your fuel mileage might possibly suffer since the engine might not reach its optimum operating temperature under typical driving conditions, and arguably the lower temps could lead to accelerated wear of the engine's internals.

What is prompting you to consider the lower temp? Below is a link to an article that seems to dispell some of the myths about using a 'stat with a lower-than-recommended opening temperature:

Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage? | Tuner University

Cheers,

Myth: running engine at lower temp will cause accelerated / premature wear. Its engine oil that keeps the moving parts lubricated (internal mechanical parts of an engine, crank shaft, bearings, piston arms, piston bearing etc)

I frequently read about this cause and effect of operating temperature and what can happen, as an automotive engineer both are right and wrong, first it does not necessarily mean a cooler engine will wear down the engine prematurely (absolutely not true) your engine will suffer premature wear if you do not periodically change engine oil and oil filter. The only thing that can go wrong when you run on cold engine is you will not get a smooth run but as soon as the car idles for a few minutes or after a short period of slow drive (within 30 MPH) the temperature will always reach its optimum. a cooler (a little bit below) working temp is always good, going a bit higher than normal working temp is always bad.

Understanding the specifics and technical properties of the engine parts and functions can eliminate some wrong old school notion. I was in the same position before i went in depth into the subject matter.

Don
Myth: running engine at lower temp will cause accelerated / premature wear. Its engine oil that keeps the moving parts lubricated (internal mechanical parts of an engine, crank shaft, bearings, piston arms, piston bearing etc)

I frequently read about this cause and effect of operating temperature and what can happen, as an automotive engineer both are right and wrong, first it does not necessarily mean a cooler engine will wear down the engine prematurely (absolutely not true) your engine will suffer premature wear if you do not periodically change engine oil and oil filter. The only thing that can go wrong when you run on cold engine is you will not get a smooth run but as soon as the car idles for a few minutes or after a short period of slow drive (within 30 MPH) the temperature will always reach its optimum. a cooler (a little bit below) working temp is always good, going a bit higher than normal working temp is always bad.

Understanding the specifics and technical properties of the engine parts and functions can eliminate some wrong old school notion. I was in the same position before i went in depth into the subject matter.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by cool
a cooler (a little bit below) working temp is always good,

Why is it good?