XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Think factory radio finally went

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Think factory radio finally went

So,

I have been enjoying all the unique functions of the radio recently, getting stuck on with no way to change stations or volume, eating a cassette tape, getting stuck turned off, ECT.

I have checked all that fuses in the boot that i know to look at ( wondering if there is a relay somewhere)

BUT i have decided that it needs repair or replacing BUT! there is a catch. I have been blessed with the premium sound system.

DOES ANYONE know how to fit an aftermarket radio to this system? Searches on the forum have proved fruitless thus far.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Many have been faced with the same question. Being no authority on audio I'd like to hear suggestions as well. I have exhausted my supply of spare Alpine radios.

The premium sound thing complicates the installation of an aftermarket radio. I guess you'd need to find an aftermarket unit compatible with your amp and cd player....not sure if that's easy or difficult.

If you wanted to simply install a new head unit and ditch the factory amp then all the speaker wiring must be brought forward from the amp to the console. Quite doable, no doubt, but probably a bit labor intensive.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i remember a long time ago mine had that issue. i opened the unit up and there was a thin long thingy cant remember if it was a fuse,cap or whatnot i do remember it was near the rear of the unit close to one of the sides. i replaced that and all buttons worked again normally. long time after the volume/power knob started not working. you can find that piece on ebay its an alpine part (reostat or potentiometer cannot remember the correct name. i ended up recycling one from an old crossover but didnt have the push function so had to wire a separate push button aswell. but works perfect since then.

the wiring shouldnt be a problem, there is wiring diagrams for premium sound. in my case i left the head unit but added an amp. using the wiring diagrams to find all the speaker wires from the stock amp to each speaker and the wires from the radio to the stock amp. I used a small box that converts the outputs of the stock radio into RCA and those go into new amp. then the speaker wires into new amp. i left the stock amp powering the rear deck subwoofer. I imagine changing the headunit would be simpler or about the same. the only problem would be keeping the stock cd changer.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm,

ok ok,

so, the speaker ends terminate at the AMP in the rear of the car if im reading all this correctly.

What if i just installed a radio in the rear of the car that has bluetooth control with a cell phone, and soldered it directly to the speaker wire ends? and maybe used a switched 12 volt source in the boot fuse compartment?

I would imagine that you could bypass the whole AMP and CD changer setup that way and not have to run wires back to the front of the car ( that sounds like allot of work) while still looking factory with the old head unit still in place.

Thoughts?

and thank you so far guys for the suggestions.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

you can do what you suggested of placing the radio on the boot, if you dont want to send speaker wires to the front. or you can use the stock amp with the new head unit or use an aftermarket amp with the new headunit those 2 options allow you to not have to throw wires from the back to the dash. you would use the stock wiring.

oh and please tell me what radio you planing on getting that you can control with your mobile! sounds NICE!

Attached Thumbnails Think factory radio finally went-vjlg.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 06-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
prestone08 (06-22-2013)